remote desktop and web desktop help

Is there a difference between remote desktop and remote
web desktop? Which is better? I am trying to start a
remote connection from my laptop to my office machine
through the NET. My office machine, the host, is behind
a router. My ISP helped long enough to do the port
forwarding on the router, or so they said.
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop desktop help

    Assuming you can load the Remote Desktop client on your laptop, ie. see your network administrators
    for permission to do this, then, IMHO, the normal Remote Desktop client is easier to use. This
    assumes your router at work is correctly forwarding TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN IP of your
    desktop.

    The web based method means you need IIS running on the desktop or a IIS server in-house and that you
    also have TCP Port 80 forwarded through the office router.

    The upside of the web based method is you can access your PC, using Remote Desktop, from virtually
    any PC with installing the client software. The downside is the added complexity of the IIS server
    and its setup and security...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Randy" <police@palouse.com> wrote in message news:58e001c42d43$33e91ab0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Is there a difference between remote desktop and remote
    > web desktop? Which is better? I am trying to start a
    > remote connection from my laptop to my office machine
    > through the NET. My office machine, the host, is behind
    > a router. My ISP helped long enough to do the port
    > forwarding on the router, or so they said.

    group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Randy" <police@palouse.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there a difference between remote desktop and remote
    >> web desktop? Which is better? I am trying to start a
    >> remote connection from my laptop to my office machine
    >> through the NET. My office machine, the host, is
    behind
    >> a router. My ISP helped long enough to do the port
    >> forwarding on the router, or so they said.
    >
    >.
    >Thanks,

    All machines are using XP Pro. I guess I will need to
    double check that the port forwarding is working corrctly.

Remote Desktop Internet Service Providers Desktops Windows XP