ssid broadcasting from my netgear router

Craig

Hi

i have setup my wireless net at home and have been reading a bit into
security, it left me wondering about whether to broadcast the ssid from the
router.

there are a few wireless networks in the neighbourhood and i can see them
from my laptop, i can also see they have no security setup which seems a bit
mad

Now if i can see theirs then they can obviously see mine, so if i turn off
broadcast ssid on my router, then they cant see the network in the available
list (i hope this true!) but how do i connect to it if it does not
automatically appear in the available networks

Cheers and TIA

There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID. The SSID can be easily obtained by tools like
Kismet even when cloaked. Your much better off using 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA if your hardware
supports it...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313242

Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) with a very long random key on my home network...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Craig" <C.walker@nananana.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> i have setup my wireless net at home and have been reading a bit into security, it left me
> wondering about whether to broadcast the ssid from the router.
>
> there are a few wireless networks in the neighbourhood and i can see them from my laptop, i can
> also see they have no security setup which seems a bit mad
>
> Now if i can see theirs then they can obviously see mine, so if i turn off broadcast ssid on my
> router, then they cant see the network in the available list (i hope this true!) but how do i
> connect to it if it does not automatically appear in the available networks
>
> Cheers and TIA

Craig

i have wpa- psk setup which i hope is keeping people out, the router is
running a firewall and filtering mac addresses. i have also turned on
wireless confinement so the wireless pc's cant see each other. on the pc it
has a firewall running on that

i guess there is not much left

Cheers

> There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID. The SSID can be easily
> obtained by tools like Kismet even when cloaked. Your much better off
> using 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA if your hardware supports it...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309369
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313242
>
> Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) with a very long random key on my home
> network...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Craig" <C.walker@nananana.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> i have setup my wireless net at home and have been reading a bit into
>> security, it left me wondering about whether to broadcast the ssid from
>> the router.
>>
>> there are a few wireless networks in the neighbourhood and i can see them
>> from my laptop, i can also see they have no security setup which seems a
>> bit mad
>>
>> Now if i can see theirs then they can obviously see mine, so if i turn
>> off broadcast ssid on my router, then they cant see the network in the
>> available list (i hope this true!) but how do i connect to it if it does
>> not automatically appear in the available networks
>>
>> Cheers and TIA

"Craig" <C.walker@nananana.com> wrote in message news:416561f3$0$20314$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk...
> but how do i connect to it if it does not
> automatically appear in the available networks

Just add your AP into the lower pane of the Wireless networks dialog box
(in SP2 - click on Advanced configuration to open it).
Enter the SSID, encryption keys etc. This adds it to Preferred networks list.
Then you should get connection, and your SSID will appear in the available list,
even though it is hidden.

--PA

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

If another Wireless Signal is propagating in your reception area it might
appear in your available Wireless Network. Nothing is wrong with this that
is the way Wireless technology works (the Air around us does not
discriminate signals).

Using the measures of security is the step to insure that others can not use
your signal, and vice versa.

Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).