remote access reversible

April 28, 2004 5:21:06 PM

I have an office computer running Windows XP Pro. At home I have a desktop (XP home) and laptop (XP Pro) on a wireless network. I can access the office desktop via remote desktop from either home desktop or laptop. However, I was wondering if the process is reversible i.e., is there any reason why I cannot access my home desktop or laptop via the remote desktop on the office computer. I have been trying to use remote desktop to access the laptop from the home desktop and vice-versa, but I just get the error message:

The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

I have logged out on the computer I am trying to access, and have the correct IP address et al. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 1:15:30 AM

In XP, Remote Desktop is available only in Pro, not in Home.

Home has the client side--so you should be able to access the laptop from
the desktop, but not vice versa.

And, if everything is set up properly, you should be able to access the
laptop from work, as well.

"michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an office computer running Windows XP Pro. At home I have a desktop
>(XP home) and laptop (XP Pro) on a wireless network. I can access the
>office desktop via remote desktop from either home desktop or laptop.
>However, I was wondering if the process is reversible i.e., is there any
>reason why I cannot access my home desktop or laptop via the remote desktop
>on the office computer. I have been trying to use remote desktop to access
>the laptop from the home desktop and vice-versa, but I just get the error
>message:
>
> The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections
> might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new
> connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your
> connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues
> to occur, contact your administrator."
>
> I have logged out on the computer I am trying to access, and have the
> correct IP address et al. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
April 29, 2004 10:01:11 AM

Hi Bill:

thanks for this. I worked out that only XP Pro can be the 'base'. However, if you allow sharing on 'my documents' on the home desktop, I should be able to access this through the laptop via the home network. I think. Anyway, are there any steps missing:

1. log out on laptop
2. open 'remote desktop' on home desktop
3. type in IP address and user name (which I assume is the user name on the laptop) and enter password.

I've done all this and still can't access laptop via remote desktop access. Is this something to do with user accounts, etc.?

Thanks, Michael

----- Bill Sanderson wrote: -----

In XP, Remote Desktop is available only in Pro, not in Home.

Home has the client side--so you should be able to access the laptop from
the desktop, but not vice versa.

And, if everything is set up properly, you should be able to access the
laptop from work, as well.

"michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an office computer running Windows XP Pro. At home I have a desktop
>(XP home) and laptop (XP Pro) on a wireless network. I can access the
>office desktop via remote desktop from either home desktop or laptop.
>However, I was wondering if the process is reversible i.e., is there any
>reason why I cannot access my home desktop or laptop via the remote desktop
>on the office computer. I have been trying to use remote desktop to access
>the laptop from the home desktop and vice-versa, but I just get the error
>message:
>> The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections
> might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new
> connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your
> connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues
> to occur, contact your administrator."
>> I have logged out on the computer I am trying to access, and have the
> correct IP address et al. Any ideas?
>> Thanks.
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 12:09:56 PM

The user name is a user account on the XP Pro laptop. The user must be an Administrator or a member
of the Remote Desktop Users Group and have a password.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Hi Bill:
>
> thanks for this. I worked out that only XP Pro can be the 'base'. However, if you allow sharing on
> 'my documents' on the home desktop, I should be able to access this through the laptop via the
> home network. I think. Anyway, are there any steps missing:
>
> 1. log out on laptop
> 2. open 'remote desktop' on home desktop
> 3. type in IP address and user name (which I assume is the user name on the laptop) and enter
> password.
>
> I've done all this and still can't access laptop via remote desktop access. Is this something to
> do with user accounts, etc.?
>
> Thanks, Michael
>
> ----- Bill Sanderson wrote: -----
>
> In XP, Remote Desktop is available only in Pro, not in Home.
>
> Home has the client side--so you should be able to access the laptop from
> the desktop, but not vice versa.
>
> And, if everything is set up properly, you should be able to access the
> laptop from work, as well.
>
> "michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an office computer running Windows XP Pro. At home I have a desktop
> >(XP home) and laptop (XP Pro) on a wireless network. I can access the
> >office desktop via remote desktop from either home desktop or laptop.
> >However, I was wondering if the process is reversible i.e., is there any
> >reason why I cannot access my home desktop or laptop via the remote desktop
> >on the office computer. I have been trying to use remote desktop to access
> >the laptop from the home desktop and vice-versa, but I just get the error
> >message:
> >> The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections
> > might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new
> > connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your
> > connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues
> > to occur, contact your administrator."
> >> I have logged out on the computer I am trying to access, and have the
> > correct IP address et al. Any ideas?
> >> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 2:33:04 PM

Al's given the constraints for the credentials you are using.

You can, of course use standard Windows networking between the two machines
as well.

If this isn't a credentials issue, do be certain the Remote Desktop is
enabled in the Remote tab in properties of My Compiter on the laptop, and
that there is no software firewall interfering, including the XP firewall.

!