VPN issues

okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
allowed. However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem is when i try
to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at
the verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did
not respond.
5 answers Last reply
More about issues

    So you also have a software firewall running on your XP box that is behind a BEFVP41? What software
    firewall?

    With the built-in XP Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), or the newer XP SP2 Windows Firewall, you
    simply need to open TCP Port 1723 which will automagically also enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic
    through the ICF.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309524

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Charles Colson" <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a linksys bfvp41
    > router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough allowed. However, i know that with my
    > software firewall i not only have to allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem
    > is when i try to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at the
    > verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did not respond.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
    <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
    >linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
    >allowed.

    Have you disabled SPI (assuming it is on there)?

    > However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
    >allow pptp but allow GRE also.

    "PPTP Passthru" is the same as allowing GRE.

    When you attempt to connect, can you see the LAN adapter receiving
    packets?

    Open the icon which represents the Local Area Connection. In the
    middle there is a crude graphic representing sent and received
    packets. When the remote machine attempts to connect, you should see
    some packets come and go. If so, then the problem is with a PC
    firewall. Use "msconfig" to discover it, and then disable it using the
    GUI. Merely exiting the GUI will not disable the firewall engine.

    Most problems like you described are firewall problems. That's why I
    recommend Kerio because it configures itself for VPN.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

    i can connect locally but not when i try to connect using my WAN IP or from
    any computer outside the net. I have the win XP firewall disabled.
    "Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
    > <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind
    >>linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
    >>allowed.
    >
    > Have you disabled SPI (assuming it is on there)?
    >
    >> However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
    >>allow pptp but allow GRE also.
    >
    > "PPTP Passthru" is the same as allowing GRE.
    >
    > When you attempt to connect, can you see the LAN adapter receiving
    > packets?
    >
    > Open the icon which represents the Local Area Connection. In the
    > middle there is a crude graphic representing sent and received
    > packets. When the remote machine attempts to connect, you should see
    > some packets come and go. If so, then the problem is with a PC
    > firewall. Use "msconfig" to discover it, and then disable it using the
    > GUI. Merely exiting the GUI will not disable the firewall engine.
    >
    > Most problems like you described are firewall problems. That's why I
    > recommend Kerio because it configures itself for VPN.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    > http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
    >
    > "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    > --David Crockett

    Which software firewall are you using? ICF (internet connection
    firewall) will automatically open both the TCP port as well as PPTP
    Passthrough...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
    <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
    >linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
    >allowed. However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
    >allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem is when i try
    >to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at
    >the verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did
    >not respond.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:20:07 -0500, "Charles Colson"
    <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >i can connect locally but not when i try to connect using my WAN IP or from
    >any computer outside the net. I have the win XP firewall disabled.

    Others have complained about the Linksys VPN router. You might want to
    consult one of the Linksys-specific forums. I believe there is one on

    http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

VPN Windows XP