VPN issues

April 28, 2004 11:16:45 PM

okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
allowed. However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem is when i try
to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at
the verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did
not respond.

More about : vpn issues

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:31:38 AM

So you also have a software firewall running on your XP box that is behind a BEFVP41? What software
firewall?

With the built-in XP Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), or the newer XP SP2 Windows Firewall, you
simply need to open TCP Port 1723 which will automagically also enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic
through the ICF.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309524

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Charles Colson" <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a linksys bfvp41
> router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough allowed. However, i know that with my
> software firewall i not only have to allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem
> is when i try to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at the
> verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did not respond.

April 29, 2004 3:11:21 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
<jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

>okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
>linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
>allowed.

Have you disabled SPI (assuming it is on there)?

> However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
>allow pptp but allow GRE also.

"PPTP Passthru" is the same as allowing GRE.

When you attempt to connect, can you see the LAN adapter receiving
packets?

Open the icon which represents the Local Area Connection. In the
middle there is a crude graphic representing sent and received
packets. When the remote machine attempts to connect, you should see
some packets come and go. If so, then the problem is with a PC
firewall. Use "msconfig" to discover it, and then disable it using the
GUI. Merely exiting the GUI will not disable the firewall engine.

Most problems like you described are firewall problems. That's why I
recommend Kerio because it configures itself for VPN.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
April 29, 2004 6:20:07 PM

i can connect locally but not when i try to connect using my WAN IP or from
any computer outside the net. I have the win XP firewall disabled.
"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
> <jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind
>>linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
>>allowed.
>
> Have you disabled SPI (assuming it is on there)?
>
>> However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
>>allow pptp but allow GRE also.
>
> "PPTP Passthru" is the same as allowing GRE.
>
> When you attempt to connect, can you see the LAN adapter receiving
> packets?
>
> Open the icon which represents the Local Area Connection. In the
> middle there is a crude graphic representing sent and received
> packets. When the remote machine attempts to connect, you should see
> some packets come and go. If so, then the problem is with a PC
> firewall. Use "msconfig" to discover it, and then disable it using the
> GUI. Merely exiting the GUI will not disable the firewall engine.
>
> Most problems like you described are firewall problems. That's why I
> recommend Kerio because it configures itself for VPN.
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 12:52:41 AM

Which software firewall are you using? ICF (internet connection
firewall) will automatically open both the TCP port as well as PPTP
Passthrough...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:16:45 -0500, "Charles Colson"
<jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

>okay has anyone successfully set up a winXP pro box as a VPN server behind a
>linksys bfvp41 router? I have port 1723 forwarded and pptp passthrough
>allowed. However, i know that with my software firewall i not only have to
>allow pptp but allow GRE also. Can anyone help? The problem is when i try
>to log in remotely from a win98SE box i get the error(i think its 650) at
>the verifying username anf password phase says something like computer did
>not respond.

April 30, 2004 5:52:21 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:20:07 -0500, "Charles Colson"
<jmforbk@earthlink.net> wrote:

>i can connect locally but not when i try to connect using my WAN IP or from
>any computer outside the net. I have the win XP firewall disabled.

Others have complained about the Linksys VPN router. You might want to
consult one of the Linksys-specific forums. I believe there is one on

http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/

--

!