RC network PC via web

I want to be able to control a network of PC's via my
remote Laptop on the web.
Only 1 PC on the network has an ISP connection. Can I
control all the others via this one dialup connection
through the network?
6 answers Last reply
More about network

    Yes... The scheme depends on the OSs the PCs are running.

    If the PCs are running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is an option. To access more than one XP Pro
    Remote Desktop session behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for help...

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    If the PCs are running something other than XP Pro, ie. XP Home/W2K/Win NT/Win Me/Win 9X, then look
    at UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    VNC firewall information...

    http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Gaz" <itgaz@netscape.net> wrote in message news:5ea101c42de2$91b9aca0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    >I want to be able to control a network of PC's via my
    > remote Laptop on the web.
    > Only 1 PC on the network has an ISP connection. Can I
    > control all the others via this one dialup connection
    > through the network?

    Great...

    Thanks v.much for your prompt response.

    for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Gaz" <itgaz@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>I want to be able to control a network of PC's via my
    >> remote Laptop on the web.
    >> Only 1 PC on the network has an ISP connection. Can I
    >> control all the others via this one dialup connection
    >> through the network?
    >
    >.

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:38:37 -0500, "Sooner Al"
    <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

    >If the PCs are running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is an option. To access more than one XP Pro
    >Remote Desktop session behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for help...
    >
    >If the PCs are running something other than XP Pro, ie. XP Home/W2K/Win NT/Win Me/Win 9X, then look
    >at UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.

    If VNC is such a superior product, why use Remote Desktop at all, even
    if you have XP Pro?

    That is not a rhetorical question, but one aimed at discovering if RD
    is actually superior to VNC.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

    Remote Desktop is a better and more robust product, its natively encrypted and it runs faster than
    VNC. The VNC solution was presented because you can only run Remote Desktop in a "host" mode on an
    XP Pro platform, *NOT* on a XP Home/W2K/Win NT/Win Me/Win 9X platform.

    --

    "Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:40910ed3.11066232@news-server.houston.rr.com...
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:38:37 -0500, "Sooner Al"
    > <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>If the PCs are running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is an option. To access more than one XP Pro
    >>Remote Desktop session behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for help...
    >>
    >>If the PCs are running something other than XP Pro, ie. XP Home/W2K/Win NT/Win Me/Win 9X, then
    >>look
    >>at UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.
    >
    > If VNC is such a superior product, why use Remote Desktop at all, even
    > if you have XP Pro?
    >
    > That is not a rhetorical question, but one aimed at discovering if RD
    > is actually superior to VNC.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    > http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
    >
    > "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    > --David Crockett

    Like Al says, Remote Desktop is more robust if your OS supports it...
    UltraVNC with the encryption plugin provides the closest experience to
    Remote Desktop than other third party systems (except Citrix, which is
    entirely server side).

    Rather than spend money on third party products, why not use a
    tried-and-true solution that offers most of the functions for free...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:20:25 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:38:37 -0500, "Sooner Al"
    ><SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>If the PCs are running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is an option. To access more than one XP Pro
    >>Remote Desktop session behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page for help...
    >>
    >>If the PCs are running something other than XP Pro, ie. XP Home/W2K/Win NT/Win Me/Win 9X, then look
    >>at UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.
    >
    >If VNC is such a superior product, why use Remote Desktop at all, even
    >if you have XP Pro?
    >
    >That is not a rhetorical question, but one aimed at discovering if RD
    >is actually superior to VNC.

    I am a little late on this thread but I agree wholeheartedly.
    I use VNC to monitor and control 16 PCs on my network
    and have had no problems. We use it on Win 95, 98, XPhe,
    XPp, Mac OS9 and OSX. This has been so now for about a year and a half.

    No problems.......at all......ever.......knock on wood.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:j4c39098t1fn5sstodsuiru83pqk34m3st@4ax.com...
    > Like Al says, Remote Desktop is more robust if your OS supports it...
    > UltraVNC with the encryption plugin provides the closest experience to
    > Remote Desktop than other third party systems (except Citrix, which is
    > entirely server side).
    >
    > Rather than spend money on third party products, why not use a
    > tried-and-true solution that offers most of the functions for free...
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:20:25 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:38:37 -0500, "Sooner Al"
    > ><SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >>If the PCs are running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is an option. To
    access more than one XP Pro
    > >>Remote Desktop session behind a firewall/NAT/router look at this page
    for help...

    > >>If the PCs are running something other than XP Pro, ie. XP Home/W2K/Win
    NT/Win Me/Win 9X, then look
    > >>at UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in.
    > >
    > >If VNC is such a superior product, why use Remote Desktop at all, even
    > >if you have XP Pro?
    > >
    > >That is not a rhetorical question, but one aimed at discovering if RD
    > >is actually superior to VNC.

Connection Internet Service Providers Microsoft Windows XP