Cannot see Local Resources

April 29, 2004 11:41:07 AM

Good morning....

We have there workstations running Windows XP SP1 (With all the latest updates) which use "Remote Desktop Connection" to connect to a Windows 2003 server. Here is the problem:

Two of the workstations can see their local drives and printers with connected to the remote machine. (As selected under the "Local Resources" tab"). Unfortunately, while the third machine can connect to the server, it CAN NOT see any of the local resouces (printer and disk drivers).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

More about : local resources

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:17:33 PM

Did you configure the RD client for local resource redirection?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313292

Is it possible a Group Policy restriction on that one PC has that disabled?

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Forch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning....
>
> We have there workstations running Windows XP SP1 (With all the latest updates) which use "Remote
> Desktop Connection" to connect to a Windows 2003 server. Here is the problem:
>
> Two of the workstations can see their local drives and printers with connected to the remote
> machine. (As selected under the "Local Resources" tab"). Unfortunately, while the third machine
> can connect to the server, it CAN NOT see any of the local resouces (printer and disk drivers).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:17:34 PM

Thank you for replying...

Yes, I have configured the RD client for local resource redirection, and no, there are no special domain settings which would affect this. This was working a few days ago, and it simply stopped on the this PC for now appear reason.

Mark
April 29, 2004 7:43:01 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:17:33 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>>Unfortunately, while the third machine
>>can connect to the server, it CAN NOT see any of the local resouces (printer and disk drivers).

>Did you configure the RD client for local resource redirection?
>Is it possible a Group Policy restriction on that one PC has that disabled?

I have had nothing but problems with NetBIOS on a PPTP VPN connection
in terms of not being able to see shares on an otherwise valid
connection. Sometimes I can use \\servername to access the shares on
the VPN Server from my VPN Client, sometimes that won't work and I am
forced to use the raw IP address for the VPN Server and sometimes I
cannot get either to work.

I believe I may have discovered some of the problem. First, if you
ever use <localhost> to test the VPN Client locally, then somehow
NetBIOS gets confused about the bindings when you try to connect to
the remote machine. The solution is to do a cold reboot - a warm
reboot is not enough.

If that is not the problem, then make sure you do not have any objects
with name conflicts. Check for old networking icons that have the same
name as the remote machine. For example, when my son comes home during
breaks from college he brings his machine and hooks to the LAN. I
create a window for accessing his machine which is named for his
machine name.

Then when he goes back to college, I connect over the VPN. However,
that window I created earlier appears to be in conflict with his
machine name on the VPN. Depending on what transpires, NetBIOS gets
confused and does all sorts of goofy things, like giving me my shares
instead of his, etc.

Of course the solution was to delete that old defunct icon to remove
the name conflict. Now I build a new window to access the shares on
his machine over the VPN connection.

I suppose the moral of all this is to realize that NetBIOS is a rather
primitive facility being called upon to do a rather demanding set of
tasks, so you must baby the damn thing - no name conflicts allowed
because it is not smart enough to keep from getting confused.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
!