HOw does TMPGEnc stack up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 1, 2004 4:33:41 AM

I am in a quandary on which DVD program to buy, I tried Nero6 and did not
like it because it has applications that I will probably hardly use. I just
want a simple program that has colorful menus and text and that put info on
my DVD. I have been reading some good things about TMPGEnc, but want some
more input on this one.

More about : tmpgenc stack

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 4:33:42 AM

Why not download the trial and
evaluate it personally?

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

"leo" <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I am in a quandary on which DVD program to buy, I tried Nero6 and did not
> like it because it has applications that I will probably hardly use. I
just
> want a simple program that has colorful menus and text and that put info
on
> my DVD. I have been reading some good things about TMPGEnc, but want some
> more input on this one.

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:19:27 AM

"leo" <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I am in a quandary on which DVD program to buy, I tried Nero6 and did not
>like it because it has applications that I will probably hardly use. I just
>want a simple program that has colorful menus and text and that put info on
>my DVD. I have been reading some good things about TMPGEnc, but want some
>more input on this one.

tmpgenc is a transcoder, not an authoring package, though Typhoon Software,
who publishes it, also has a simple authoring program. As a transcoder,
tmpgenc can't be beat, or at least not by any software package under $1,000.
However, basically all it does it take an AVI and compress it to mpeg2 --
but with very, very high quality.

September 1, 2004 11:19:28 AM

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message

> "leo" <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >I am in a quandary on which DVD program to buy, I tried Nero6 and did not
> >like it because it has applications that I will probably hardly use. I
just
> >want a simple program that has colorful menus and text and that put info
on
> >my DVD. I have been reading some good things about TMPGEnc, but want some
> >more input on this one.
>
> tmpgenc is a transcoder, not an authoring package, though Typhoon
Software,
> who publishes it, also has a simple authoring program. As a transcoder,
> tmpgenc can't be beat, or at least not by any software package under
$1,000.
> However, basically all it does it take an AVI and compress it to mpeg2 --
> but with very, very high quality.

Typhoon Software? Where do they, whoever they are, publish
TMPGEnc programs? For most of the world it is published by
Pegasys Inc. www.pegasys-inc.com

Leo;

I gave "NeroVision Express" a try and it is much improved. It
even has some interesting filtering capabilities. It could be a very
good low priced tool for some applications. In my case it still has
some annoying aspects and introduces glitches that I don't experience
with my current setup. It may be that I could get it to work if I spent
more time with it, but I saw nothing that would make it worth the
effort, for me. Now if I had a camcorder the text overlay features
and other effects would be of more use.

The lack of any text only menu layouts, or a way to remove the
thumbnail is extremely inconvenient. The way it seems to handle
chapter creation is also a problem, as is its lack of the ability to
"cut all but currently selected range".

The slideshow creation might be worth trying out sometime though.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:32:52 PM

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<41358689$0$48771$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com>...
> "PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "leo" <dusty-roads@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > >I am in a quandary on which DVD program to buy, I tried Nero6 and did not
> > >like it because it has applications that I will probably hardly use. I
> just
> > >want a simple program that has colorful menus and text and that put info
> on
> > >my DVD. I have been reading some good things about TMPGEnc, but want some
> > >more input on this one.
> >
> > tmpgenc is a transcoder, not an authoring package, though Typhoon
> Software,
> > who publishes it, also has a simple authoring program. As a transcoder,
> > tmpgenc can't be beat, or at least not by any software package under
> $1,000.
> > However, basically all it does it take an AVI and compress it to mpeg2 --
> > but with very, very high quality.
> >

> Typhoon Software? Where do they, whoever they are, publish
> TMPGEnc programs? For most of the world it is published by
> Pegasys Inc. www.pegasys-inc.com

Pegasys distributes it. The Tmpgenc company used to be called Typhoon Software.

> Leo;
>
> I gave "NeroVision Express" a try and it is much improved. It
> even has some interesting filtering capabilities. It could be a very
> good low priced tool for some applications. In my case it still has
> some annoying aspects and introduces glitches that I don't experience
> with my current setup. It may be that I could get it to work if I spent
> more time with it, but I saw nothing that would make it worth the
> effort, for me. Now if I had a camcorder the text overlay features
> and other effects would be of more use.
>
> The lack of any text only menu layouts, or a way to remove the
> thumbnail is extremely inconvenient. The way it seems to handle
> chapter creation is also a problem, as is its lack of the ability to
> "cut all but currently selected range".
>
> The slideshow creation might be worth trying out sometime though.
>
> Luck;
> Ken
September 1, 2004 8:07:20 PM

Your are so correct when it comes to doing menu and stuff in Nero 6.3 I
haveDVDit LE 2.5 that came with my Dell Computer and it does a very good job
of laying down background color and tex on my main menu. To me two are
important, that is to code my video to DVD and to be able to do menus at
ease.

!