Is Sony Vegas 5 just a copy of Sonic Foundry Vegas 4?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Are there any major improvements in Sony Vegas 5 or are there just
extra features?
An example of a major improvement would be to render a video in a
shorter time.

Regards Brian

Hal

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Are there any major improvements in Sony Vegas 5 or are there just
> extra features?
> An example of a major improvement would be to render a video in a
> shorter time.
>
> Regards Brian

Major improvements, just as beauty, are in the eye of the beholder. That
said, here's a quick excerpt from the update manual instructions:

I: Enhancements to video tools

Enhanced Track Motion tools
3D motion and compositing
Video track nesting and nested-track 3D compositing
Keyframable bezier masks
Macromedia® FlashT .swf import
Improved MPEG-2 support
Subtitle time/text export to DVD Architect 2
Transition progress envelopes

II: Enhancements to audio tools

Envelope automation recording
Envelope point thinning
Enhanced punch-in recording
Auto input monitoring
ACID loop support
Improved audio time stretching
Keyboard event pitch shifting
5.1 audio plug-in support for the master bus
Film-style 5.1 surround panning
Real-time downmix monitoring
Bus-to-bus routing
User configurable window layout
Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Media subclips
Real-time A/V event reverse
Global opacity/volume envelope changes
Dragable edit cursor
FX package folders
Enhanced marker support

Hal Lowe
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:54:48 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>Are there any major improvements in Sony Vegas 5 or are there just
>extra features?

Features.

>An example of a major improvement would be to render a video in a
>shorter time.

That would take a faster computer.

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:54:48 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >Are there any major improvements in Sony Vegas 5 or are there just
> >extra features?
>
> Features.
>
> >An example of a major improvement would be to render a video in a
> >shorter time.
>
> That would take a faster computer.

If I'm not mistaken, Vegas 5 now supports networked rendering, which speeds
up renders of all kinds dramatically.

Steve King

>>>Are there any major improvements in Sony Vegas 5 or are there just
>>>extra features?
>>Features.
>>>An example of a major improvement would be to render a video in a
>>>shorter time.
> If I'm not mistaken, Vegas 5 now supports networked rendering, which speeds
> up renders of all kinds dramatically.

The MPEG and other rendering really hasn't changed much -- still
takes hours to render a 2 hour video, so there has been no significant
improvements here. Really, really do wish they'd look at the far faster
Cinema Craft Encoder series, license the engine, and drop that into the
Vegas as an option.

eg. Vegas usually does 2x-4x slower than real-time encoding of DV AVI
files on the timeline, but CCE on the same machine can do it in
real-time speed (eg. 2 hours takes 2 hours rather than 4+ hours).

Here, it's a case where even their ~$60 Basic version will render
MPEG-2 files far faster than the MainConcept MPEG encoder Vegas ships --
what's the point of spending another $300+ on a second, networked
computer just to bring the rendering times in Vegas down to real-time
when a $60 CCE encoder can do it on a single PC?

This is one point where Vegas falls short. A few new features, but
nothing most people can't do without if they only have 4.0.

> Here, it's a case where even their ~$60 Basic version will render MPEG-2
> files far faster than the MainConcept MPEG encoder Vegas ships --
> what's the point of spending another $300+ on a second, networked computer
> just to bring the rendering times in Vegas down to real-time when a $60
> CCE encoder can do it on a single PC?

On that note, do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little grainy
and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy video. I seem
to recall CCE having some smoothing options though it's been ages since I
used it....

It certainly would be fantasic if MC supported network compressing - I've
got 3 PCs in my office that would do that nicely.

> On that note, do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little grainy

Feed them through VirtualDub first as AVI files and use the many
VirtualDub filters available before feeding through MainConcept.

Steve Simpson wrote:

> do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little
> grainy and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy
> video.

There's a thread on the Sony Vegas forum at http://tinyurl.com/48uj7 that
goes through a few techniques that you might find useful for reducing noise.
If that's too much work, the other option is to buy a Canopus ADVC-300.
It's not cheap but apparently it does a fantastic job.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca>

> Steve Simpson wrote:
>>
>> do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
>> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little
>> grainy and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy
>> video.
>
> There's a thread on the Sony Vegas forum at http://tinyurl.com/48uj7
> that goes through a few techniques that you might find useful for
> reducing noise. If that's too much work, the other option is to buy a
> Canopus ADVC-300. It's not cheap but apparently it does a fantastic
> job.
>
> Mike

I'll second that for the 300 - I've been happy with mine (and Vegas 5).

david

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Steve Simpson" <guest@anon.com> wrote in message
> > Here, it's a case where even their ~$60 Basic version will render
MPEG-2
> > files far faster than the MainConcept MPEG encoder Vegas ships --
> > what's the point of spending another $300+ on a second, networked
computer
> > just to bring the rendering times in Vegas down to real-time when a $60
> > CCE encoder can do it on a single PC?
>
> On that note, do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little
grainy
> and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy video. I seem
> to recall CCE having some smoothing options though it's been ages since I
> used it....
>
> It certainly would be fantasic if MC supported network compressing - I've
> got 3 PCs in my office that would do that nicely.

I thought I read somewhere that Vegas Network Rendering will not render to
MPEG2

John wrote:
> "Steve Simpson" <guest@anon.com> wrote in message
>>> Here, it's a case where even their ~$60 Basic version will render
>>> MPEG-2 files far faster than the MainConcept MPEG encoder Vegas
>>> ships -- what's the point of spending another $300+ on a second,
>>> networked computer just to bring the rendering times in Vegas down
>>> to real-time when a $60 CCE encoder can do it on a single PC?
>>
>> On that note, do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
>> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little
>> grainy and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy
>> video. I seem to recall CCE having some smoothing options though
>> it's been ages since I used it....
>>
>> It certainly would be fantasic if MC supported network compressing -
>> I've got 3 PCs in my office that would do that nicely.
>>

> I thought I read somewhere that Vegas Network Rendering will not
> render to MPEG2

It will - sort of. According to Sony:

"Certain file formats, such as MPEG-2, AC-3 and MP3 are licensed per
computer and cannot be used on render-only clients. Additionally, MPEG-2
can be used for the final output format, but not for rendered segments in
distributed rendering.

** If you want to use network rendering with these formats and have a
multiprocessor computer or a computer with a processor that supports
Hyper-Threading technology, you can run multiple instances of the render
service on that computer."

Mike

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> John wrote:
> > "Steve Simpson" <guest@anon.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> On that note, do you know if there's any way to filter videos before
> >> compressing them with Mainconcept? Some of my captures are a little
> >> grainy and the MC MPEG2 encoder doesn't do a great job with grainy
> >> video. I seem to recall CCE having some smoothing options though
> >> it's been ages since I used it....
> >>
> >> It certainly would be fantasic if MC supported network compressing -
> >> I've got 3 PCs in my office that would do that nicely.
> >>

> > I thought I read somewhere that Vegas Network Rendering will not
> > render to MPEG2
>

> It will - sort of. According to Sony:
>
> "Certain file formats, such as MPEG-2, AC-3 and MP3 are licensed per
> computer and cannot be used on render-only clients. Additionally, MPEG-2
> can be used for the final output format, but not for rendered segments in
> distributed rendering.
>
> ** If you want to use network rendering with these formats and have a
> multiprocessor computer or a computer with a processor that supports
> Hyper-Threading technology, you can run multiple instances of the render
> service on that computer."
>
> Mike

Thanks