Cannot reconnect VPN or RDP after disconnecting

April 30, 2004 2:20:00 AM

Hi. I've got two computers both running Windows XP Pro and am using
VPN and RDP. I connect the VPN session to the remote PC and then start
the RDP session without any problems. However, when I disconnect and
attempt to reconnect again I receive an Error 712 when trying the VPN
and a 'could not connect to remote....' when trying RDP. My home
(remote) PC sits behind a NAT router (Netgear MR314) and I'm running
Zone Alarm Pro on both machines. I know all the port forwarding, zones
on the firewall etc are correct otherwise the initial connections work
fine. Could there be an issue with RDP and VPN not disconnecting
correctly and leaving processes running that are stopping the new
connection attempts? Any help would be appreciated.
April 30, 2004 7:52:40 PM

peter.paterson@ntlworld.com (Pete) wrote in message news:<58fd5e9b.0404292120.3b03705d@posting.google.com>...
> Hi. I've got two computers both running Windows XP Pro and am using
> VPN and RDP. I connect the VPN session to the remote PC and then start
> the RDP session without any problems. However, when I disconnect and
> attempt to reconnect again I receive an Error 712 when trying the VPN
> and a 'could not connect to remote....' when trying RDP. My home
> (remote) PC sits behind a NAT router (Netgear MR314) and I'm running
> Zone Alarm Pro on both machines. I know all the port forwarding, zones
> on the firewall etc are correct otherwise the initial connections work
> fine. Could there be an issue with RDP and VPN not disconnecting
> correctly and leaving processes running that are stopping the new
> connection attempts? Any help would be appreciated.

I've managed to drill this down a bit. When I got home and looked at
the host machine, the screen was blank (black) with just the mouse
cursor. I could not do anything accept reboot. I've found one or two
other discussions regarding this but there doesn't seem to be any
clear resolution.
!