PC stopped recognizing Coolpix 4100

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 23, 2005 1:26:07 AM

I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 4100 with my XP Pro (SP1) computer since
Christmas with no problems. However, for the past couple of days the pc
won't recognize when I hook the camera up via USB and power it on. The
camera locks up and nothing happens. I can't even turn the camera off until
I unplug from the USB cable. It's not a camera issue, because it still
works just fine with another XP machine. And the pc in question has no
trouble recognizing my Olympus camera via USB cable. It's like the Nikon
and this computer suddenly developed a compatibility issue. Any ideas what
might be going on?

thank you,

jakesnake
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:15:07 PM

"Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 4100 with my XP Pro (SP1) computer since
> Christmas with no problems. However, for the past couple of days the pc
> won't recognize when I hook the camera up via USB and power it on. The
> camera locks up and nothing happens. I can't even turn the camera off
> until
> I unplug from the USB cable. It's not a camera issue, because it still
> works just fine with another XP machine. And the pc in question has no
> trouble recognizing my Olympus camera via USB cable. It's like the Nikon
> and this computer suddenly developed a compatibility issue. Any ideas
> what
> might be going on?
>
> thank you,
>
> jakesnake

In Device Manager, Remove the USB controller(s) and reboot the computer. You
do not have worry about the Hubs (they will get reinstalled with the
controllers)

Go to Windows Update and get the Service Pack Update. There is SP2
available. It is a huge download, around 260 MB or you can order the free
CD.

Windows will then reinstall the USB Drivers.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com