Same connection problems with Netgear Wireless LAN

I use a WGT 624 router and a WG 311 wireless network card. Under XP SP2 (I
did not use the equipment before the SP2 installation) wireless access is
very unstable. Sometimes it worked, mostly it doesn't. With ipconfig, I see
that the WG 311 gets a completely different IP address from what can be
supplied by the router. The netgear-specific configuration progran crashes
rather often. Sometimes, the connection is 'excellent', but, because of the
wrong IP address, I don't get access to the internet.
My only help at present is the old-fashioned cable connected to the router
instead of the cable modem.
--
Bernd Wunderer
(BWuMunich)

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

are you sure you are connecting to your router and not some one else's?? do
you have ssid broadcast enabled on your router??

"BWuMunich" <BWuMunich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use a WGT 624 router and a WG 311 wireless network card. Under XP SP2 (I
> did not use the equipment before the SP2 installation) wireless access is
> very unstable. Sometimes it worked, mostly it doesn't. With ipconfig, I
see
> that the WG 311 gets a completely different IP address from what can be
> supplied by the router. The netgear-specific configuration progran crashes
> rather often. Sometimes, the connection is 'excellent', but, because of
the
> wrong IP address, I don't get access to the internet.
> My only help at present is the old-fashioned cable connected to the router
> instead of the cable modem.
> --
> Bernd Wunderer
> (BWuMunich)

There are some strange ip addresses given out by the windows if it cannot
resolve one from the routers DCHP. SOHO routers generally provide
192.168.*.* numbers whereas the one you are seeing is becasue windows cant
see the DCHP server.

Artitus.