Same connection problems with Netgear Wireless LAN

I use a WGT 624 router and a WG 311 wireless network card. Under XP SP2 (I
did not use the equipment before the SP2 installation) wireless access is
very unstable. Sometimes it worked, mostly it doesn't. With ipconfig, I see
that the WG 311 gets a completely different IP address from what can be
supplied by the router. The netgear-specific configuration progran crashes
rather often. Sometimes, the connection is 'excellent', but, because of the
wrong IP address, I don't get access to the internet.
My only help at present is the old-fashioned cable connected to the router
instead of the cable modem.
--
Bernd Wunderer
(BWuMunich)

    are you sure you are connecting to your router and not some one else's?? do
    you have ssid broadcast enabled on your router??

    "BWuMunich" <BWuMunich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I use a WGT 624 router and a WG 311 wireless network card. Under XP SP2 (I
    > did not use the equipment before the SP2 installation) wireless access is
    > very unstable. Sometimes it worked, mostly it doesn't. With ipconfig, I
    see
    > that the WG 311 gets a completely different IP address from what can be
    > supplied by the router. The netgear-specific configuration progran crashes
    > rather often. Sometimes, the connection is 'excellent', but, because of
    the
    > wrong IP address, I don't get access to the internet.
    > My only help at present is the old-fashioned cable connected to the router
    > instead of the cable modem.
    > --
    > Bernd Wunderer
    > (BWuMunich)

    There are some strange ip addresses given out by the windows if it cannot
    resolve one from the routers DCHP. SOHO routers generally provide
    192.168.*.* numbers whereas the one you are seeing is becasue windows cant
    see the DCHP server.

    Artitus.

    "Dave" wrote:

    > are you sure you are connecting to your router and not some one else's?? do
    > you have ssid broadcast enabled on your router??
    >
    > "BWuMunich" <BWuMunich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I use a WGT 624 router and a WG 311 wireless network card. Under XP SP2 (I
    > > did not use the equipment before the SP2 installation) wireless access is
    > > very unstable. Sometimes it worked, mostly it doesn't. With ipconfig, I
    > see
    > > that the WG 311 gets a completely different IP address from what can be
    > > supplied by the router. The netgear-specific configuration progran crashes
    > > rather often. Sometimes, the connection is 'excellent', but, because of
    > the
    > > wrong IP address, I don't get access to the internet.
    > > My only help at present is the old-fashioned cable connected to the router
    > > instead of the cable modem.
    > > --
    > > Bernd Wunderer
    > > (BWuMunich)