Strange out of sync problem when transitions used

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I finally got Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7 to output to video tape by doing a
clean install of Win98SE. However, now I have a different problem. Before,
the presence of transitions or any effects would prevent it from rendering
for output to VHS tape at all. Now, while it will play out to tape, the
presence of transitions causes the sound to gradually get farther and
farther out of sync. By the end of an hour-long project, the sound is off by
something like 4 seconds.

I tried rendering an hour long project using a capture of contiguous files
done with AV_IO, and if I don't add any transitions, the sound stays
perfectly in sync.

Anyone have any insight into why this happens and how to fix it?

My system:

PentIII 550, 384 megs ram, Win98SE, dedicated WD 60 gig 7200 rpm h/d,
Audigy2, DC10-Plus, Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7

Thanks

"Doc" wrote ...
> I finally got Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7 to output to video tape by doing a
> clean install of Win98SE. However, now I have a different problem. Before,
> the presence of transitions or any effects would prevent it from rendering
> for output to VHS tape at all. Now, while it will play out to tape, the
> presence of transitions causes the sound to gradually get farther and
> farther out of sync. By the end of an hour-long project, the sound is off
by
> something like 4 seconds.
>
> I tried rendering an hour long project using a capture of contiguous files
> done with AV_IO, and if I don't add any transitions, the sound stays
> perfectly in sync.
>
> Anyone have any insight into why this happens and how to fix it?

Try some more reliable hardware/software? Maybe it is just my
perception, but I don't remember anybody here reporting that they
are happy with their Pinnacle stuff. But there seems to be a never-
ending stream of people like you reporting problems with it.

I've never had any such problems with several generations of Adobe
Premiere and several different Firewire ports, both add-on cards
and built-in ports.

Doc wrote:

> I finally got Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7 to output to video tape by doing a
> clean install of Win98SE. However, now I have a different problem. Before,
> the presence of transitions or any effects would prevent it from rendering
> for output to VHS tape at all. Now, while it will play out to tape, the
> presence of transitions causes the sound to gradually get farther and
> farther out of sync. By the end of an hour-long project, the sound is off by
> something like 4 seconds.
>
> I tried rendering an hour long project using a capture of contiguous files
> done with AV_IO, and if I don't add any transitions, the sound stays
> perfectly in sync.
>
> Anyone have any insight into why this happens and how to fix it?
>
> My system:
>
> PentIII 550, 384 megs ram, Win98SE, dedicated WD 60 gig 7200 rpm h/d,
> Audigy2, DC10-Plus, Pinnacle Studio 8.12.7
>
> Thanks

One thing you can try is writing your project to an new AVI file. Then
load that new AVI into a new Studio project and write it out to tape.