Unable to install Netgear WG511- Laptop freezes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
October 8, 2004 1:37:07 AM

I spent hours trying to install Netgear WG511 54 MB wireless adapter
card on my laptop. After I install the driver and when I instert the card,
my laptop freezes and I have to power it down. I followed the netgear
support person advice by unistalling Netgear and manually deleting the
driver and removing the netgear driver refrences from windows xp registry
then reinstalled the netgear software. I tried that several times but that
didn't help and the computer would crash everytime. My Windows XP otherwise
works fine and I am using my older Linksys 802.11b wireless card which
installed and worked smoothly.
The strange thing about this problem, is that when I initially had the
card it worked fine until I downloaded an updated driver from Netgear
website to support WPA. A few days ago, I formated my hard drive and
installed clean Windows XP and SP2 but I am still not able to install the
driver for the card.
This really have been one of the most frustrating computer problems
I've ever had to deal with. Shall I just quit and get a different brand card
or it's an XP problem and can be fixed?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 12, 2004 1:04:51 AM

I have been using WG511 the last year on 2 different laptops without any
greater problem. I am using XP with SP2 but I just go for 802.11b and WEP
since I experienced disconnecting when using 802.11g in combination with
WPA. Does it work if you use WEP?
K.

!