VPN drop after 3 minutes

May 1, 2004 9:23:57 PM

I am remotely connecting to my school from home. I have two desktops both
using WindowsXP and the same cable connection. They are essentially
side-by-side. The software and settings are as far as I can tell the same.
I can use one and it will connect and does not drop the connection. The
other drops the connection after exactly 3 minutes. I have removed and
installed it several times and played around with settings with not effect.
I thought the problems might lie in the terminal service program that is
started after the connection but this is not the case.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks

More about : vpn drop minutes

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 11:46:31 PM

I called Microsoft for help and they suggested that I connect directly to
the cable box. Since that prevented the connection being dropped, Microsoft
said the problem lay in the Linksys router. I called Linksys and they made
the suggestion to update the firmware, but after the update the
problem has not been corrected.

"Raabe" <araabe@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am remotely connecting to my school from home. I have two desktops both
> using WindowsXP and the same cable connection. They are essentially
> side-by-side. The software and settings are as far as I can tell the
same.
> I can use one and it will connect and does not drop the connection. The
> other drops the connection after exactly 3 minutes. I have removed and
> installed it several times and played around with settings with not
effect.
> I thought the problems might lie in the terminal service program that is
> started after the connection but this is not the case.
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated.
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 3, 2004 2:28:14 AM

I agree with Microsoft.

You might look to see whether OLDER firmware versions for the router are
available--perhaps on a Linksys FTP server. It may well be worth trying an
older version.

>I called Microsoft for help and they suggested that I connect directly to
> the cable box. Since that prevented the connection being dropped,
> Microsoft
> said the problem lay in the Linksys router. I called Linksys and they
> made
> the suggestion to update the firmware, but after the update the
> problem has not been corrected.
>
> "Raabe" <araabe@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I am remotely connecting to my school from home. I have two desktops
>> both
>> using WindowsXP and the same cable connection. They are essentially
>> side-by-side. The software and settings are as far as I can tell the
> same.
>> I can use one and it will connect and does not drop the connection. The
>> other drops the connection after exactly 3 minutes. I have removed and
>> installed it several times and played around with settings with not
> effect.
>> I thought the problems might lie in the terminal service program that is
>> started after the connection but this is not the case.
>>
>> Any suggestion would be appreciated.
>> Thanks

Related resources
May 3, 2004 10:28:47 PM

Are you connecting both your computers through VPN
(software) at the same time? If so your router may only
be able to handle on tunnel at a time. That may be why
the connection keeps getting dropped.

vince

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 1:57:40 AM

I was not connecting at the same time. I finally resolved the problem when
I disabled Microsoft Firewall. Although the firewall allowed me to connect,
for some reason it disconnected the connection after three minutes. I do
not know why but by disabling the firewall, the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope my solution will help others.

"Vince" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are you connecting both your computers through VPN
> (software) at the same time? If so your router may only
> be able to handle on tunnel at a time. That may be why
> the connection keeps getting dropped.
>
> vince

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 2:21:27 AM

Raabe - I'd recommend calling Microsoft PSS back.

There may be an issue related to having applied MS04-011 which has this
side-effect, and PSS has a hotfix for it.

>I was not connecting at the same time. I finally resolved the problem when
> I disabled Microsoft Firewall. Although the firewall allowed me to
> connect,
> for some reason it disconnected the connection after three minutes. I do
> not know why but by disabling the firewall, the problem is fixed.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and I hope my solution will help others.
>
> "Vince" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Are you connecting both your computers through VPN
>> (software) at the same time? If so your router may only
>> be able to handle on tunnel at a time. That may be why
>> the connection keeps getting dropped.
>>
>> vince

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 9:56:02 PM

I'm having this same problem, and am at my wit's end trying to resolve it! I've tried disabling the firewall, both on the specific VPN connection, as well as disabling IPv6 Internet Connection Firewall under the Optional Networking Componants Wizard. Without fail, at 3 minutes my VPN connection drops off. I work from home and this is causing an enormous problem for me.

Everything was fine until I installed a Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless router. My laptop on the wireless network retains the connection fine, so it's not the router.

It looks like you had the identical problem. Could you please provide the exact manner in which you disabled the firewall? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Any assistance is very appreciated.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:22:28 AM

EEEKKKK...

Don't disable the IPv6 firewall without disabling IPv6.... Otherwise
you are open completely to the internet (if you have a tunnel setup -
which may be automatic w/ Toredo)...

ipv6 uninstall

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:56:02 -0700, Sasschass

>I'm having this same problem, and am at my wit's end trying to resolve it! I've tried disabling the firewall, both on the specific VPN connection, as well as disabling IPv6 Internet Connection Firewall under the Optional Networking Componants Wizard. Without fail, at 3 minutes my VPN connection drops off. I work from home and this is causing an enormous problem for me.
>
>Everything was fine until I installed a Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless router. My laptop on the wireless network retains the connection fine, so it's not the router.
>
>It looks like you had the identical problem. Could you please provide the exact manner in which you disabled the firewall? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Any assistance is very appreciated.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:22:29 AM

I re-enabled it. Thanks for the tip. Obviously I'm a little over my head here.

I checked and there is no firmware update for the router. I've disabled the firewall for this specific network connection. Internet connection is fine. Desktop is Dell 4550 running XP. Laptop is 600m, also XP. Turns out, now the laptop is also having the issue.

Any suggestions are appreciated. And the more specific the instructions, the better... I'm technical, but not network or firewall savvy. Many thanks.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 8:40:25 PM

I'll repeat my suggestion:

My understanding is that there is a known issue with the MS04-011 patch
which may have precisely this side-effect, and that a hotfix is available.

I can't give you a KB citation, I'm afraid--there is a KB of known issues:
835732, and it was last reviewed May 11, but this one isn't in there.

Actually looking back at my original source--the drop related to the
MS04-011 patch was timed at 2 minutes, and can be verified by removing the
patch, testing, the putting the patch back on and re-testing.

Call PSS--there is a hotfix and it is free. I guess they haven't finished
full testing on it but it is available if you make the free call.

"Sasschass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I re-enabled it. Thanks for the tip. Obviously I'm a little over my head
>here.
>
> I checked and there is no firmware update for the router. I've disabled
> the firewall for this specific network connection. Internet connection is
> fine. Desktop is Dell 4550 running XP. Laptop is 600m, also XP. Turns
> out, now the laptop is also having the issue.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated. And the more specific the instructions,
> the better... I'm technical, but not network or firewall savvy. Many
> thanks.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:16:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, it was helpful. I uninstalled the security patch and the problem went away. I called Microsoft for the hotfix... at first they sent me the 2000 version (I'm running XP). When I called back for the correct version for my OS, I was told that a hotfix doesn't exist for XP. I can run without the security update, but obviously that's not the ideal.

I was able to confirm that Miscrosoft gets a lot of calls about the drop issue for 2000, but none for XP (supposedly). I was told that XP home won't connect to a remote work location - something I know for a fact to be incorrect. It's definitely the security patch that is causing the problem... fixing it is another issue.

I plan to file a bug, don't know if it will get be anywhere. Thanks again for the assistance. It really helped me identify the problem.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I'll repeat my suggestion:
>
> My understanding is that there is a known issue with the MS04-011 patch
> which may have precisely this side-effect, and that a hotfix is available.
>
> I can't give you a KB citation, I'm afraid--there is a KB of known issues:
> 835732, and it was last reviewed May 11, but this one isn't in there.
>
> Actually looking back at my original source--the drop related to the
> MS04-011 patch was timed at 2 minutes, and can be verified by removing the
> patch, testing, the putting the patch back on and re-testing.
>
> Call PSS--there is a hotfix and it is free. I guess they haven't finished
> full testing on it but it is available if you make the free call.
>

> "Sasschass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I re-enabled it. Thanks for the tip. Obviously I'm a little over my head
> >here.
> >
> > I checked and there is no firmware update for the router. I've disabled
> > the firewall for this specific network connection. Internet connection is
> > fine. Desktop is Dell 4550 running XP. Laptop is 600m, also XP. Turns
> > out, now the laptop is also having the issue.
> >
> > Any suggestions are appreciated. And the more specific the instructions,
> > the better... I'm technical, but not network or firewall savvy. Many
> > thanks.

Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:27:20 AM

Maybe SP2 will correct this... Only a few more days... :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:16:07 -0700, sasschass
<sasschass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion, it was helpful. I uninstalled the security patch and the problem went away. I called Microsoft for the hotfix... at first they sent me the 2000 version (I'm running XP). When I called back for the correct version for my OS, I was told that a hotfix doesn't exist for XP. I can run without the security update, but obviously that's not the ideal.
>
>I was able to confirm that Miscrosoft gets a lot of calls about the drop issue for 2000, but none for XP (supposedly). I was told that XP home won't connect to a remote work location - something I know for a fact to be incorrect. It's definitely the security patch that is causing the problem... fixing it is another issue.
>
>I plan to file a bug, don't know if it will get be anywhere. Thanks again for the assistance. It really helped me identify the problem.
>
>"Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I'll repeat my suggestion:
>>
>> My understanding is that there is a known issue with the MS04-011 patch
>> which may have precisely this side-effect, and that a hotfix is available.
>>
>> I can't give you a KB citation, I'm afraid--there is a KB of known issues:
>> 835732, and it was last reviewed May 11, but this one isn't in there.
>>
>> Actually looking back at my original source--the drop related to the
>> MS04-011 patch was timed at 2 minutes, and can be verified by removing the
>> patch, testing, the putting the patch back on and re-testing.
>>
>> Call PSS--there is a hotfix and it is free. I guess they haven't finished
>> full testing on it but it is available if you make the free call.
>>

>> "Sasschass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I re-enabled it. Thanks for the tip. Obviously I'm a little over my head
>> >here.
>> >
>> > I checked and there is no firmware update for the router. I've disabled
>> > the firewall for this specific network connection. Internet connection is
>> > fine. Desktop is Dell 4550 running XP. Laptop is 600m, also XP. Turns
>> > out, now the laptop is also having the issue.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions are appreciated. And the more specific the instructions,
>> > the better... I'm technical, but not network or firewall savvy. Many
>> > thanks.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 3:42:41 PM

I'm glad you at least know where the problem is coming from.

I'm sorry you got some wrong information from Microsoft staff, and I'm sorry
I wasn't able to stay on top of this thread and maybe get you a more
knowledgable contact within Microsoft.

I hope they've resolved this one for you at this point--if they haven't, let
me know via email, please?

(remove various magic words to get the correct address.)

"sasschass" <sasschass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the suggestion, it was helpful. I uninstalled the security
> patch and the problem went away. I called Microsoft for the hotfix... at
> first they sent me the 2000 version (I'm running XP). When I called back
> for the correct version for my OS, I was told that a hotfix doesn't exist
> for XP. I can run without the security update, but obviously that's not
> the ideal.
>
> I was able to confirm that Miscrosoft gets a lot of calls about the drop
> issue for 2000, but none for XP (supposedly). I was told that XP home
> won't connect to a remote work location - something I know for a fact to
> be incorrect. It's definitely the security patch that is causing the
> problem... fixing it is another issue.
>
> I plan to file a bug, don't know if it will get be anywhere. Thanks again
> for the assistance. It really helped me identify the problem.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I'll repeat my suggestion:
>>
>> My understanding is that there is a known issue with the MS04-011 patch
>> which may have precisely this side-effect, and that a hotfix is
>> available.
>>
>> I can't give you a KB citation, I'm afraid--there is a KB of known
>> issues:
>> 835732, and it was last reviewed May 11, but this one isn't in there.
>>
>> Actually looking back at my original source--the drop related to the
>> MS04-011 patch was timed at 2 minutes, and can be verified by removing
>> the
>> patch, testing, the putting the patch back on and re-testing.
>>
>> Call PSS--there is a hotfix and it is free. I guess they haven't
>> finished
>> full testing on it but it is available if you make the free call.
>>

>> "Sasschass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I re-enabled it. Thanks for the tip. Obviously I'm a little over my
>> >head
>> >here.
>> >
>> > I checked and there is no firmware update for the router. I've
>> > disabled
>> > the firewall for this specific network connection. Internet connection
>> > is
>> > fine. Desktop is Dell 4550 running XP. Laptop is 600m, also XP.
>> > Turns
>> > out, now the laptop is also having the issue.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions are appreciated. And the more specific the
>> > instructions,
>> > the better... I'm technical, but not network or firewall savvy. Many
>> > thanks.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 3:43:05 PM

Still.. a few more days!

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:fb02d0t23007gc21fcjba690efuirog0h1@4ax.com...
> Maybe SP2 will correct this... Only a few more days... :(
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:16:07 -0700, sasschass
> <sasschass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the suggestion, it was helpful. I uninstalled the security
>>patch and the problem went away. I called Microsoft for the hotfix... at
>>first they sent me the 2000 version (I'm running XP). When I called back
>>for the correct version for my OS, I was told that a hotfix doesn't exist
>>for XP. I can run without the security update, but obviously that's not
>>the ideal.
>>
>>I was able to confirm that Miscrosoft gets a lot of calls about the drop
>>issue for 2000, but none for XP (supposedly). I was told that XP home
>>won't connect to a remote work location - something I know for a fact to
>>be incorrect. It's definitely the security patch that is causing the
>>problem... fixing it is another issue.
>>
>>I plan to file a bug, don't know if it will get be anywhere. Thanks again
>>for the assistance. It really helped me identify the problem.
>>
>>"Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>>
>>> I'll repeat my suggestion:
>>>
>>> My understanding is that there is a known issue with the MS04-011 patch
>>> which may have precisely this side-effect, and that a hotfix is
>>> available.
>>>
>>> I can't give you a KB citation, I'm afraid--there is a KB of known
>>> issues:
>>> 835732, and it was last reviewed May 11, but this one isn't in there.
>>>
>>> Actually looking back at my original source--the drop related to the
>>> MS04-011 patch was timed at 2 minutes, and can be verified by removing
>>> the
>>> patch, testing, the putting the patch back on and re-testing.
>>>
>>> Call PSS--there is a hotfix and it is free. I guess they haven't
>>> finished
>>> full testing on it but it is available if you make the free call.
>>>

>>> "Sasschass" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:22:12 AM

Bill - I tried to email but was unsuccessful.

Again, thank you for all the help. Unfortunately, the problem persists. Each time I update XP I have to uninstall the 835732 fix. A hassle for sure, but nothing compared to the headaches before the problem was isolated. MS hasn't been helpful, and suggests an upgrade to XP Pro to fix the problem.

You may reach me via email at debchasse@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

!