Can I use USB 2.0 from camcorder to PC?

I've just purchased a nice Panasonic GS120 (3CCD) camcorder, but am
stumped as to how to get my recordings (on MiniDV tape) into my PC for
editing. I've really studied the manual, but think I'm missing a
major point that everyone assumes I should already know. I don't have
a firewire connection on my Dell 8300 2.8Ghz 512 memory PC and would
really like not having to buy a card and put it in -- so my question
is what is the precise process for hooking up my camcorder to my PC's
USB 2.0 front port and transferring the images from my miniDV tape
into my PC? I'm using the AC Adaptor so I don't run my battery down
and then using the supplied USB cord into the PC, but don't know what
to do from there. Also, can I charge my lithium-ion battery before it
completely runs down? I really appreciate any help in this matter.
TIA

Judi

j.magnussen@att.net (Judi) wrote in message news:<bfb0056f.0409020956.3533c423@posting.google.com>...
> I've just purchased a nice Panasonic GS120 (3CCD) camcorder, but am
> stumped as to how to get my recordings (on MiniDV tape) into my PC for
> editing. I've really studied the manual, but think I'm missing a
> major point that everyone assumes I should already know. I don't have
> a firewire connection on my Dell 8300 2.8Ghz 512 memory PC and would
> really like not having to buy a card and put it in -- so my question
> is what is the precise process for hooking up my camcorder to my PC's
> USB 2.0 front port and transferring the images from my miniDV tape
> into my PC? I'm using the AC Adaptor so I don't run my battery down
> and then using the supplied USB cord into the PC, but don't know what
> to do from there. Also, can I charge my lithium-ion battery before it
> completely runs down? I really appreciate any help in this matter.
> TIA
>
> Judi

Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
camcorder into my PC. TIA

"Judi" wrote ...
> Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
> everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
> camcorder into my PC. TIA

A review of half a dozen websites reveals absolutely no mention of
DV input/output via USB for your Panasonic GS120. Several of them
mentioned that the provided IEEE-1394 (Firewire/iLink) connector
is labeled "DV". This is a significant clue.

While there may be some camcorders that support DV I/O via
USB, your Panasonic GS120 would *NOT* appear to be one of
them. If you want to port DV in and out of your camcorder, your
only choice appears to be 1394/Firewire/iLink. This should come
as no particular surprise as >99% of all camcorders work exactly
this way.

On 3 Sep 2004 11:36:08 -0700, j.magnussen@att.net (Judi) wrote:

>Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
>everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
>camcorder into my PC. TIA

You just won't be told, will you? :)
Almost certainly, your camera is constructed to send video by
Firewire, stills by USB. If your camera does, exceptionally,
support video by USB, the manual will clearly say so. Does it?

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<askkj0des52c3tlb41p8ovigd8h5v75pl7@4ax.com>...
> On 3 Sep 2004 11:36:08 -0700, j.magnussen@att.net (Judi) wrote:
>
> >Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
> >everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
> >camcorder into my PC. TIA
>
> You just won't be told, will you? :)
> Almost certainly, your camera is constructed to send video by
> Firewire, stills by USB. If your camera does, exceptionally,
> support video by USB, the manual will clearly say so. Does it?

Thanks so much for your input. Yes, upon further investigation (and
calling Panasonic's 800#) I was advised that I needed to get a
firewire card and cable which would connect from the camera to the PC
and then get a program that would capture the video I was
transferring. Whew! I'm so new at this -- but really excited about
the possibilities offered by my new purchase -- and hope I'm not being
troublesome by asking these elementary questions. Now I have to shop
for a firewire card and cable that will accommodate my GS 120 and hope
I choose the correct things. I've been looking all over my camera for
a place that I would attach the firewire cord and can only find the
place where I put the end of my USB cord that looks like it might
work. Does that seem right? I'm in a very isolated area and plan to
order online as I can't go to a store bringing my camera to see if the
cords supplied would work.

Again, I do so appreciate everyone's help. It's really been edifying.
:0)

Judi

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10jiko8a8m82800@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Judi" wrote ...
> > Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
> > everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
> > camcorder into my PC. TIA
>
> A review of half a dozen websites reveals absolutely no mention of
> DV input/output via USB for your Panasonic GS120. Several of them
> mentioned that the provided IEEE-1394 (Firewire/iLink) connector
> is labeled "DV". This is a significant clue.
>
> While there may be some camcorders that support DV I/O via
> USB, your Panasonic GS120 would *NOT* appear to be one of
> them. If you want to port DV in and out of your camcorder, your
> only choice appears to be 1394/Firewire/iLink. This should come
> as no particular surprise as >99% of all camcorders work exactly
> this way.

Thanks so much for your input. Yes, upon further investigation (and
calling Panasonic's 800#) I was advised that I needed to get a
firewire card and cable which would connect from the camera to the PC
and then get a program that would capture the video I was
transferring. Whew! I'm so new at this -- but really excited about
the possibilities offered by my new purchase -- and hope I'm not being
troublesome by asking these elementary questions. Now I have to shop
for a firewire card and cable that will accommodate my GS 120 and hope
I choose the correct things. I've been looking all over my camera for
a place that I would attach the firewire cord and can only find the
place where I put the end of my USB cord that looks like it might
work. Does that seem right? I'm in a very isolated area and plan to
order online as I can't go to a store bringing my camera to see if the
cords supplied would work.

Again, I do so appreciate everyone's help. It's really been edifying.
:0)

Judi

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:47:16 -0400, Laurence Payne wrote
(in article <askkj0des52c3tlb41p8ovigd8h5v75pl7@4ax.com>):

> On 3 Sep 2004 11:36:08 -0700, j.magnussen@att.net (Judi) wrote:
>
>> Sorry about the duplication of this message. I'm still seeking
>> everyone's input about using USB 2.0 to capture video from my
>> camcorder into my PC. TIA
>
> You just won't be told, will you? :)
> Almost certainly, your camera is constructed to send video by
> Firewire, stills by USB. If your camera does, exceptionally,
> support video by USB, the manual will clearly say so. Does it?

Um, why not try it and see. Then report back to the group. I have seen
minicam transferred to a laptop via USB. I t surprised me.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

"Judi" wrote ...
> Thanks so much for your input. Yes, upon further investigation (and
> calling Panasonic's 800#) I was advised that I needed to get a
> firewire card and cable which would connect from the camera to the PC
> and then get a program that would capture the video I was
> transferring. Whew! I'm so new at this -- but really excited about
> the possibilities offered by my new purchase -- and hope I'm not being
> troublesome by asking these elementary questions. Now I have to shop
> for a firewire card and cable that will accommodate my GS 120 and hope
> I choose the correct things.

Firewire cards are in a phase where they are pretty much
generic. I bought mine several years ago and went with a
good name brand (ADS) partly because the market was less
settled than it is now, and partly because of the software that
was bundled with it.

> I've been looking all over my camera for
> a place that I would attach the firewire cord and can only find the
> place where I put the end of my USB cord that looks like it might
> work. Does that seem right?

No. There should be a separate connector for Firewire.
It should be labeled with one or more of these names:
"IEEE1394", "Firewire", "iLink", "DV"

> I'm in a very isolated area and plan to
> order online as I can't go to a store bringing my camera to see if the
> cords supplied would work.

If I were in your position, I would buy a name-brand Firewire
card (like ADS) from a place that offers returns if it doesn't work.

> Again, I do so appreciate everyone's help. It's really been edifying.

Hope you haven't been confused by all the extraneous information,
rumor, and innuendo. :)

> I've been looking all over my camera for
>a place that I would attach the firewire cord and can only find the
>place where I put the end of my USB cord that looks like it might
>work. Does that seem right? I'm in a very isolated area and plan to
>order online as I can't go to a store bringing my camera to see if the
>cords supplied would work.

I just downloaded the manual. It's clearly described. look for the
DV Terminal. It's under a flap on the rear of your camera.

As long as you're running Windows XP, you already have an adequate
transfer program and video editor - Windows Movie Maker. If you don't
have version 2, get the free download from Windows Update.

A Firewire card is a cheap utility item. I doubt it's possible to
buy an unsuitable card today.

Card and cable should cost less than £25 (UK). There is no possible
reason to pay more. Don't be conned into buying an expensive
version, maybe bundled with a video editing program. If you get into
this seriously you may wish to buy Vegas or Premiere - the high-end
video editors. But there's no point at all in spending on a
mid-price program when you already have Windows Movie Maker.

Your Firewire card will offer two or more 6-pin outlets, maybe also a
4-pin outlet. Your camera takes a 4-pin plug. So get a 6 pin/4 pin
cable.

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<16qmj0l0bu1ggbpesci1u5vf0nd3fsttmb@4ax.com>...
> > I've been looking all over my camera for
> >a place that I would attach the firewire cord and can only find the
> >place where I put the end of my USB cord that looks like it might
> >work. Does that seem right? I'm in a very isolated area and plan to
> >order online as I can't go to a store bringing my camera to see if the
> >cords supplied would work.
>
> I just downloaded the manual. It's clearly described. look for the
> DV Terminal. It's under a flap on the rear of your camera.
>
> As long as you're running Windows XP, you already have an adequate
> transfer program and video editor - Windows Movie Maker. If you don't
> have version 2, get the free download from Windows Update.
>
> A Firewire card is a cheap utility item. I doubt it's possible to
> buy an unsuitable card today.
>
> Card and cable should cost less than £25 (UK). There is no possible
> reason to pay more. Don't be conned into buying an expensive
> version, maybe bundled with a video editing program. If you get into
> this seriously you may wish to buy Vegas or Premiere - the high-end
> video editors. But there's no point at all in spending on a
> mid-price program when you already have Windows Movie Maker.
>
> Your Firewire card will offer two or more 6-pin outlets, maybe also a
> 4-pin outlet. Your camera takes a 4-pin plug. So get a 6 pin/4 pin
> cable.

Thank you so much, Laurence, for your very useful help. I've been
away for a while and just now am checking your response. You'll be
happy to know that I found the firewire connection just where you said
and was able to purchase a nice firewire card, cable and Ulead DV
Studio for around $20. I'm now in the process of learning just what
to do with all these great tools. Everything's working well and now I
just have to start taking my initial steps. I really appreciate your
generous and useful advice.

Judi

On 13 Sep 2004 19:46:25 -0700, j.magnussen@att.net (Judi) wrote:

>Thank you so much, Laurence, for your very useful help. I've been
>away for a while and just now am checking your response. You'll be
>happy to know that I found the firewire connection just where you said
>and was able to purchase a nice firewire card, cable and Ulead DV
>Studio for around $20. I'm now in the process of learning just what
>to do with all these great tools. Everything's working well and now I
>just have to start taking my initial steps. I really appreciate your
>generous and useful advice.

<blush> :)