Enabling "Remote Desktop"

May 1, 2004 10:22:15 PM

Ok, I have 2 PC's linked by a crossover between NIC's
I can run other remote software between the two but I
would prefer the Remote Desktop. I have them privately
addressed on the same network and have the firewalls off.
When I use either the PC name or IP address I get a
comment that the host is not accepting Remote Desktop
connections. How do I enable this feature? Both machines
are on XP Home Edition.

Thanks,
TSC
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 1:11:24 AM

TSC wrote:

> Ok, I have 2 PC's linked by a crossover between NIC's
> I can run other remote software between the two but I
> would prefer the Remote Desktop. I have them privately
> addressed on the same network and have the firewalls off.
> When I use either the PC name or IP address I get a
> comment that the host is not accepting Remote Desktop
> connections. How do I enable this feature? Both machines
> are on XP Home Edition.

Go and buy the Retail Upgrade to Windows XP Professional (2 Copies.)
Upgrade both machines to Windows XP Professional.
Enable Remote Desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomo...

--
<- Shenan ->
May 2, 2004 10:26:06 AM

Look at using UltraVNC, which is *FREE*, to do what you want. Get the server and client software
from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

XP Home can not act as a Remote Desktop host.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

!