Can DVD Author preserve menus for updated source files?

Hi.

I have a DVD Author project with 3 tracks and all their menus set up. I
want to replace the source files with the same video/audio encoded by
different bitrates. Is there anyway to get my existing menus to be
applied to the new files? Or do I have to start over from scratch :(.

Thanks,

Ken
5 answers Last reply
More about author preserve menus updated source files

    "kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a DVD Author project with 3 tracks and all their menus set up. I
    > want to replace the source files with the same video/audio encoded by
    > different bitrates. Is there anyway to get my existing menus to be
    > applied to the new files? Or do I have to start over from scratch :(.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
    It should be possible to load up the existing project. Remove the bits you
    want to change and then save it back out under a different name as a
    template for the new project under the, "Save As", option. Re-load this new
    template file and add back the other bits with new settings.
    --

    Aefauldlie, (Scots word for Honestly),
    Robert, (Auld Bob), Peffers,

    ---
    Aa ootgannin screivings maun hae nae wee beasties wi thaim..

    Robert Peffers wrote:

    >Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
    >It should be possible to load up the existing project. Remove the bits you
    >want to change and then save it back out under a different name as a
    >template for the new project under the, "Save As", option. Re-load this new
    >template file and add back the other bits with new settings.

    Hi. This still seems to leave the problem that I'll loose all my
    chapter definitions, which is the main pain I'm dealing with. Any
    thoughts?

    - Ken

    "Robert Peffers" <bob@peffers50.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I have a DVD Author project with 3 tracks and all their menus set up. I
    > > want to replace the source files with the same video/audio encoded by
    > > different bitrates. Is there anyway to get my existing menus to be
    > > applied to the new files? Or do I have to start over from scratch :(.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
    > It should be possible to load up the existing project. Remove the bits you
    > want to change and then save it back out under a different name as a
    > template for the new project under the, "Save As", option. Re-load this
    new
    > template file and add back the other bits with new settings.
    > --

    When you save a 'Menu Theme" (which is the part that you normally
    reuse) you have the option of saving all the graphics & motion menu
    clips with the "Theme". You can save it with a descriptive name, like
    SG1, Buffy, Full_length_Movie, Bitrate_Test, whatever. This is one part,
    then you can do as described above. But if you are trying to save the cut
    points and menu text and thumbnails as they are and not have to trim and
    enter/select menu data for the new (different bitrate) clips, I think you
    are
    out of luck. [and even lazier than I am]

    Luck;
    Ken

    P.S. If/when you are saving menu themes with motion menus,
    the entire file that the clip comes from is saved; so it is a good
    idea to make a new .mpg file with just the clip in it.

    Ken Maltby wrote:

    >"Robert Peffers" <bob@peffers50.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >

    >>"kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Hi.
    >>>
    >>>I have a DVD Author project with 3 tracks and all their menus set up. I
    >>>want to replace the source files with the same video/audio encoded by
    >>>different bitrates. Is there anyway to get my existing menus to be
    >>>applied to the new files? Or do I have to start over from scratch :(.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Ken
    >>>

    >>Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
    >>It should be possible to load up the existing project. Remove the bits you
    >>want to change and then save it back out under a different name as a
    >>template for the new project under the, "Save As", option. Re-load this
    >>

    >new
    >

    >>template file and add back the other bits with new settings.
    >>--
    >>

    > When you save a 'Menu Theme" (which is the part that you normally
    >reuse) you have the option of saving all the graphics & motion menu
    >clips with the "Theme". You can save it with a descriptive name, like
    >SG1, Buffy, Full_length_Movie, Bitrate_Test, whatever. This is one part,
    >then you can do as described above. But if you are trying to save the cut
    >points and menu text and thumbnails as they are and not have to trim and
    >enter/select menu data for the new (different bitrate) clips, I think you
    >are
    >out of luck. [and even lazier than I am]
    >
    >Luck;
    > Ken
    >
    >P.S. If/when you are saving menu themes with motion menus,
    >the entire file that the clip comes from is saved; so it is a good
    >idea to make a new .mpg file with just the clip in it.

    Well I don't think this will preserve the chapter points. That's the
    big problem for me. I have a DVD with 25 chapters, so now I will have
    to redefine all those chapter points all over again.

    Oh well. I still think the software is great, nonetheless.

    See ya,

    Ken

    > Well I don't think this will preserve the chapter points. That's the
    > big problem for me. I have a DVD with 25 chapters, so now I will have
    > to redefine all those chapter points all over again.
    >
    > Oh well. I still think the software is great, nonetheless.
    >
    > See ya,
    >
    > Ken

    Ok, if you could make your captures so that you had 25 .mpg
    that corresponded to the chapters you want; the chapter points
    would be as you want them automatically.

    This won't help with your recapturing at different bitrates project,
    but if you use the "Add DVD video" button, TDA will make each
    chapter a .mpg file in a temp folder before you do the re-authoring.

    Luck;
    Ken

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics