Burning DVD's from Windows Movie Maker projects...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have recently purchased a Sony DCR-HC30 for use in
filming my sons football games. The purpose is to produce
game films for the coaches and players to review.

Using Windows Movie Maker (WMM) I am able to easily
capture the video in DV-AVI format and modify the movie
to fit my needs. I am able to save it back to the camera
to create a master archive tape of the edited version as
well.

I need to be able to do this, plus convert to MPEG-2, and
burn 5 DVD's as quickly as possible. Output quality
should be very good quality NTSC.

I have tried using TmpGenC and currently takes more time
than I have available for turning DVD's around. I plan on
experimenting with it more this winter, but for now need
something that does the conversion quickly while
sacrificing the numerous options and as little quality as
possible.

Galan Bridgman recommends MyDVD in his article "Burn a
Movie Maker Project to DVD" (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert
/bridgman_burndvd.mspx ) citing that it is the simplest
means in his opinion of producing a working DVD the first
time. I am technically sophisticated enough that I don't
necessarily need something that simplifies it so much as
a product that meets the criteria I outlined above of
trading speed for flexibility in options and as little
video quality as possible.

I appreciate the groups suggestions on how they would
accomplish this.
3 answers Last reply
More about burning windows movie maker projects
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Encoding can only work at the speed of the PC.... if you need it to happen
    faster, then consider upgrading CPU and RAM. You may also want to try
    TMPGEnc Xpress.... but for fastest encoding you'll need a high end CPU with
    HyperThreading.

    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te3xp.html
    www.coribright.com

    "Bob Evans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have recently purchased a Sony DCR-HC30 for use in
    > filming my sons football games. The purpose is to produce
    > game films for the coaches and players to review.
    >
    > Using Windows Movie Maker (WMM) I am able to easily
    > capture the video in DV-AVI format and modify the movie
    > to fit my needs. I am able to save it back to the camera
    > to create a master archive tape of the edited version as
    > well.
    >
    > I need to be able to do this, plus convert to MPEG-2, and
    > burn 5 DVD's as quickly as possible. Output quality
    > should be very good quality NTSC.
    >
    > I have tried using TmpGenC and currently takes more time
    > than I have available for turning DVD's around. I plan on
    > experimenting with it more this winter, but for now need
    > something that does the conversion quickly while
    > sacrificing the numerous options and as little quality as
    > possible.
    >
    > Galan Bridgman recommends MyDVD in his article "Burn a
    > Movie Maker Project to DVD" (see
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert
    > /bridgman_burndvd.mspx ) citing that it is the simplest
    > means in his opinion of producing a working DVD the first
    > time. I am technically sophisticated enough that I don't
    > necessarily need something that simplifies it so much as
    > a product that meets the criteria I outlined above of
    > trading speed for flexibility in options and as little
    > video quality as possible.
    >
    > I appreciate the groups suggestions on how they would
    > accomplish this.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Yikes. You didn't make your first suggestion "buy a bigger hammer" did you?
    I am going to cut you some slack and move past commenting further on the
    basis that you are an MVP and you don't get the money, perks, or recognition
    you fully deserve. Plus I didn't specify in my question "with existing
    hardware". The point was that everyone commenting on TMPGenC knows it is the
    best and the slowest, so I was kind of surprised.

    As I mentioned, I eventually do want to be able to use TMPGenC. However,
    specifying the settings that I had seen in a number of postings as the those
    responsible for the best output resulted in estimated conversion times of a
    minimum of 20 hours on my system. The number of settings, the resulting
    permutations of setting combinations, and the amount of information that has
    to be understood to independently determine the best settings is
    overwhelming at this point in my evolution as a digital movie maker. Hence
    the request for something simpler and faster. It sounds like your
    recommendation of TMPGenC Xpress is right on the money.

    After further reading, I think I may have found a link on PapaJohn's site to
    what I was looking for: http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html . This page
    provides a very specific set of settings to use with TMPGenC, why they were
    chosen, and possible values to adjust based upon certain properties of the
    file being converted. I didn't find anything else this specific or succinct
    in the several user guides I had seen recommended on this. I currently have
    a conversion underway using the settings recommend acting upon the same AVI
    file that previously was estimated at 20+ hours. This time the estimate is
    approximately 4 hours. Hopefully the end quality of this will meet my
    expectations. If it does, this was what I had been looking for all along.

    After that completes I am going to download the Xpress trial version and use
    it on the same file. When I am done I'll compare the results and go with one
    of these two products. My only concern is that with Xpress being a different
    product and my being relatively knew to this area of computing, I may not be
    able to setup a fair comparison.

    Regardless, based upon all the info and recommendations such as yours, it
    seems to make sense to stick with PegaSys products.

    Thank you for your response and your support of these forums.

    > Encoding can only work at the speed of the PC.... if you need it to happen
    > faster, then consider upgrading CPU and RAM. You may also want to try
    > TMPGEnc Xpress.... but for fastest encoding you'll need a high end CPU
    with
    > HyperThreading.
    >
    > http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te3xp.html
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Bob Evans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have recently purchased a Sony DCR-HC30 for use in
    > > filming my sons football games. The purpose is to produce
    > > game films for the coaches and players to review.
    > >
    > > Using Windows Movie Maker (WMM) I am able to easily
    > > capture the video in DV-AVI format and modify the movie
    > > to fit my needs. I am able to save it back to the camera
    > > to create a master archive tape of the edited version as
    > > well.
    > >
    > > I need to be able to do this, plus convert to MPEG-2, and
    > > burn 5 DVD's as quickly as possible. Output quality
    > > should be very good quality NTSC.
    > >
    > > I have tried using TmpGenC and currently takes more time
    > > than I have available for turning DVD's around. I plan on
    > > experimenting with it more this winter, but for now need
    > > something that does the conversion quickly while
    > > sacrificing the numerous options and as little quality as
    > > possible.
    > >
    > > Galan Bridgman recommends MyDVD in his article "Burn a
    > > Movie Maker Project to DVD" (see
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert
    > > /bridgman_burndvd.mspx ) citing that it is the simplest
    > > means in his opinion of producing a working DVD the first
    > > time. I am technically sophisticated enough that I don't
    > > necessarily need something that simplifies it so much as
    > > a product that meets the criteria I outlined above of
    > > trading speed for flexibility in options and as little
    > > video quality as possible.
    > >
    > > I appreciate the groups suggestions on how they would
    > > accomplish this.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Bob Evans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently purchased a Sony DCR-HC30 for use in
    > filming my sons football games. The purpose is to produce
    > game films for the coaches and players to review.
    >
    > Using Windows Movie Maker (WMM) I am able to easily
    > capture the video in DV-AVI format and modify the movie
    > to fit my needs. I am able to save it back to the camera
    > to create a master archive tape of the edited version as
    > well.
    >
    > I need to be able to do this, plus convert to MPEG-2, and
    > burn 5 DVD's as quickly as possible. Output quality
    > should be very good quality NTSC.
    >
    > I have tried using TmpGenC and currently takes more time
    > than I have available for turning DVD's around. I plan on
    > experimenting with it more this winter, but for now need
    > something that does the conversion quickly while
    > sacrificing the numerous options and as little quality as
    > possible.

    Try CinemaCraft encoder, it is excellent quality and very fast, the basic
    version is also excellent, just does not have as many options. They have
    free trial versions.

    http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/home.html

    Tmpgenc is excellent quality, just slow.

    Mike T

Tuner Cards Windows Movie Maker Video DVD Graphics