No wireless after SP2

Warning: I'm a complete novice. I've had a new Sony laptop (K25)
for about a month. Put in a Netgear WGR614v3 router and our DSL
(Earthlink's Mindspring)has been working great at our desktop via
cable and wirelessly to my laptop. After installing SP2 the desktop
is fine. The laptop is a different matter: At startup I get a message
down in the taskbar that indicates the following...
strength meter shows all five bars. But when I try to open Internet
Explorere or Google or any web page I get that "page cannot be displayed"
message. I've turned of the MS firewall, gone thru the
wireless install wizard and generallt followed all the suggestions
for troubleshooting that are built in to the machine but nothing helps.
What's a guy to do?

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have WEP or WPA security turned on and the right "key" in each of
your computers?

"mkgharley" <mkgharley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Warning: I'm a complete novice. I've had a new Sony laptop (K25)
> for about a month. Put in a Netgear WGR614v3 router and our DSL
> (Earthlink's Mindspring)has been working great at our desktop via
> cable and wirelessly to my laptop. After installing SP2 the desktop
> is fine. The laptop is a different matter: At startup I get a message
> down in the taskbar that indicates the following...
> strength meter shows all five bars. But when I try to open Internet
> Explorere or Google or any web page I get that "page cannot be displayed"
> message. I've turned of the MS firewall, gone thru the
> wireless install wizard and generallt followed all the suggestions
> for troubleshooting that are built in to the machine but nothing helps.
> What's a guy to do?

TRENDING THREADS