Troubleshoot synchronizing offline files

I have a network directory that contains files such as sales reports,
all the salespeople synchronize this directory when they log on and
off the network, to insure they have the most up-to-date information.
However, if a salesman changes an offline file on his laptop while he
is offline and then logs back onto the network, I get HIS version in
my network directory instead of the version I want. I want to be able
to protect my shared network files so they can't be overwritten, but
this can happen even if the files are password protected. On the other
hand, I do want the guys to be able to update their own files in other
directories and then synchronize them onto the network if they want
to. Seems like this should be a no-brainer but I can't figure it out.
Can anyone help me? TIA.

See reply to your identical post in another group. If you need to post to
multiple groups, it's best to do so all at once in a single message
(separate the NG names with commas) so that everyone can follow the thread.
A lot of people subscribe to multiple groups, and this way you won't be
asking anyone to reproduce someone else's work, and everyone can benefit.

That said - the answer is, file synchronization isn't very smart. If he has
rights to modify items on the shared folder, it's going to be a matter of
who syncs last (or who modifies last, more to the point). You might want to
look into SecondCopy 2000 from www.centered.com (I personally like it a lot
better than offline files anyway) and set up a profile that does a one-way
copy instead of a sync for the folders in question. That way, when it syncs,
it will delete his local cached copies & overwrite with the 'live' data on
the server. You can set up separate profiles for different shares/folders so
that a true sync can happen with the home directories, etc., and not affect
the 'read only' one.