Mike

Splendid

Hi group. I've got a couple questions I am hoping
someone can answer regarding tunneling the MS RD client
in Windows XP. Prior to Windows XP, this was relatively
simple. We simply established the tunnel and used the
Remote Desktop Client (TS Client) to connect to 127.0.0.1
on a specified port. Windows XP however, does not allow
connections to the 'localhost'.

While searching the newsgroups etc., I have come across
two potential solutions:

1. Set up the tunnel to listen on 127.0.0.2 rather than
127.0.0.1. Although this is still the localhost, Windows
XP will allow a connection to 127.0.0.2. Unfortunately,
we are unable to set up the listener to run on anything
other than 127.0.0.1. The software doesn't allow it, and
switching is not an option.

2. Make a copy of the RD Client and run it
in "Windows '98" compatibility mode. This will allow the
RD client to connect to 127.0.0.1. I've tested this
option and although it does work, it simply isn't
practical in our environment for two reasons. Firstly,
we want to have the option of using both the RD Client
and the Terminal Services Advanced Client over the web.
This solution would not fix web clients. Secondly, it
would simply require too many desktop visits (potentially
thousands of desktops).

Having said all that, here is what I am wondering:

1. What does the "Windows '98" setting do that allows the
RD Client to work properly in Windows XP?
2. Is there a way to emulate "Windows '98 Compatibility"
for the TSAC client?
3. Can someone from Microsoft provide me with
an 'enhanced' client that is backwards compatible
allowing connections to 127.0.0.1? ;)
4. Are there other solutions that I missed?

Thanks,

Mike

PS - I realize I could switch to another client (e.g.
Java Based) that would allow me to tunnel properly when
accessing over the web, but I would really like to stay
with the Microsoft Clients if at all possible.

Try looking at
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5FNetwork%5FHome%2FRemoteDesktop%2FFrequentlyAskedQuestionsPage#h23
for information on tunneling with SSH...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com