win xp wireless router

A friend has a desktop and a laptop, both Winxp home . Linksys router
wireless , laptop wireless, desktop ethernet cable to Router to Cable modem.
Both PC's can access the internet. Router is pushing out the DHCP
assignments for both. He wants to access and work on the files on the
desktop pc while he is , let's say on his porch(100 ft) . I am a bit unsure
what the best method is to accomplish this. He doesn't care about the
desktop going to the laptop. ICS is NOT installed.
Does he haveto use remote desktop? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks
Frank
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless router

    To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

    If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a network then UltraVNC is one
    solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the server and client software from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message news:elBLDRUMEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > A friend has a desktop and a laptop, both Winxp home . Linksys router
    > wireless , laptop wireless, desktop ethernet cable to Router to Cable modem.
    > Both PC's can access the internet. Router is pushing out the DHCP
    > assignments for both. He wants to access and work on the files on the
    > desktop pc while he is , let's say on his porch(100 ft) . I am a bit unsure
    > what the best method is to accomplish this. He doesn't care about the
    > desktop going to the laptop. ICS is NOT installed.
    > Does he haveto use remote desktop? Any advice would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Frank

    Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is acting
    as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think so?
    Sorry to sound so dumb.
    Frank
    > To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    >
    > If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a network
    then UltraVNC is one
    > solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the server
    and client software from...

    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > A friend has a desktop and a laptop, both Winxp home . Linksys router
    > > wireless , laptop wireless, desktop ethernet cable to Router to Cable
    modem.
    > > Both PC's can access the internet. Router is pushing out the DHCP
    > > assignments for both. He wants to access and work on the files on the
    > > desktop pc while he is , let's say on his porch(100 ft) . I am a bit
    unsure
    > > what the best method is to accomplish this. He doesn't care about the
    > > desktop going to the laptop. ICS is NOT installed.
    > > Does he haveto use remote desktop? Any advice would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > > Thanks
    > > Frank

    That's exactly it. The Linksys wireless access point/router also acts as a switch creating a small
    work group LAN...

    --

    "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message news:u2jQbAVMEHA.1032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is acting
    > as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think so?
    > Sorry to sound so dumb.
    > Frank
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...
    >>
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    >>
    >> If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a network
    > then UltraVNC is one
    >> solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the server
    > and client software from...
    >>
    >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> > A friend has a desktop and a laptop, both Winxp home . Linksys router
    >> > wireless , laptop wireless, desktop ethernet cable to Router to Cable
    > modem.
    >> > Both PC's can access the internet. Router is pushing out the DHCP
    >> > assignments for both. He wants to access and work on the files on the
    >> > desktop pc while he is , let's say on his porch(100 ft) . I am a bit
    > unsure
    >> > what the best method is to accomplish this. He doesn't care about the
    >> > desktop going to the laptop. ICS is NOT installed.
    >> > Does he haveto use remote desktop? Any advice would be greatly
    >> > appreciated.
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Frank

    The name of the workgroup was MSHome, we renamed (dumb, I know) it. Does it
    matter as long as both have the same workgroup name?
    Thanks
    GRCC
    > That's exactly it. The Linksys wireless access point/router also acts as a
    switch creating a small
    > work group LAN...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is
    acting
    > > as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think
    so?
    > > Sorry to sound so dumb.
    > > Frank
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    > >>
    > >> If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a
    network
    > > then UltraVNC is one
    > >> solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the server
    > > and client software from...
    > >>
    > >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > modem.
    > > unsure

    No it does not matter if you rename as long as your consistent on both PCs. I always rename my local
    home workgroup name...

    --

    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > The name of the workgroup was MSHome, we renamed (dumb, I know) it. Does it
    > matter as long as both have the same workgroup name?
    > Thanks
    > GRCC
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> That's exactly it. The Linksys wireless access point/router also acts as a
    > switch creating a small
    >> work group LAN...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> > Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is
    > acting
    >> > as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think
    > so?
    >> > Sorry to sound so dumb.
    >> > Frank
    >> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

    > network
    >> > then UltraVNC is one
    >> > and client software from...

    > mutual
    >> > benefit of all of us...
    >> > rights...

    >> > modem.
    >> > unsure

    Thanks so much for all your help, It is greatly appreciated!
    Frank

    > No it does not matter if you rename as long as your consistent on both
    PCs. I always rename my local
    > home workgroup name...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > The name of the workgroup was MSHome, we renamed (dumb, I know) it. Does
    it
    > > matter as long as both have the same workgroup name?
    > > Thanks
    > > GRCC
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> That's exactly it. The Linksys wireless access point/router also acts
    as a
    > > switch creating a small
    > >> work group LAN...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > acting
    > > so?

    > > network

    > > mutual

    Cable

    GRCC, the router IS the hub as well. Although it's a 'Router', it has
    implied hub capabilities. I have EXACTLY the same setup that you have
    described. The router plugs into cable modem with patch cord. The router
    gets the public ip from your isp, then the desktop plugs into one of the
    four ports (most likely) of the router and pulls one internal ip (say
    192.168.1.x) and the laptop with wireless gets on the network as 192.68.1.y.
    If everything's set up correctly, both machines should see eachother on the
    'local' network. It would be advisable to configure them on the same
    workgroup. Then it's a simple matter of sharing files and/or folders.

    Paul

    "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is
    acting
    > as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think so?
    > Sorry to sound so dumb.
    > Frank
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...
    > >
    > > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    > >
    > > If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a
    network
    > then UltraVNC is one
    > > solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the server
    > and client software from...
    > >
    > > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...
    > >
    > > "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > > A friend has a desktop and a laptop, both Winxp home . Linksys router
    > > > wireless , laptop wireless, desktop ethernet cable to Router to Cable
    > modem.
    > > > Both PC's can access the internet. Router is pushing out the DHCP
    > > > assignments for both. He wants to access and work on the files on the
    > > > desktop pc while he is , let's say on his porch(100 ft) . I am a bit
    > unsure
    > > > what the best method is to accomplish this. He doesn't care about the
    > > > desktop going to the laptop. ICS is NOT installed.
    > > > Does he haveto use remote desktop? Any advice would be greatly
    > > > appreciated.
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Frank

    Thanks
    GRCC
    "Pablo" <jnaut_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > GRCC, the router IS the hub as well. Although it's a 'Router', it has
    > implied hub capabilities. I have EXACTLY the same setup that you have
    > described. The router plugs into cable modem with patch cord. The router
    > gets the public ip from your isp, then the desktop plugs into one of the
    > four ports (most likely) of the router and pulls one internal ip (say
    > 192.168.1.x) and the laptop with wireless gets on the network as
    192.68.1.y.
    > If everything's set up correctly, both machines should see eachother on
    the
    > 'local' network. It would be advisable to configure them on the same
    > workgroup. Then it's a simple matter of sharing files and/or folders.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > Sooner al, thanks much, but there is no network, unless the router is
    > acting
    > > as a hub and it's automatically a small workgroup, but I do not think
    so?
    > > Sorry to sound so dumb.
    > > Frank
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > To access shared files/folders on one or both PCs look at this page...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    > > >
    > > > If the applications he wants to run are not designed to run over a
    > network
    > > then UltraVNC is one
    > > > solution to remotely access/control a remote XP Home PC. Get the
    server
    > > and client software from...
    > > >
    > > > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > > >
    > > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > > >
    > > > "GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
    Cable
    > > modem.
    > > unsure

Laptops Wireless Router Desktops Windows XP