DVD+RW made with DVD Author plays out of sync

Hi. I just made a DVD using DVD Author. I burned the finished product
to DVD+RW. I find that it looks fine on my PC's software DVD player,
but when I play the disc in my regular DVD player on my TV, the sound is
slightly out of sync.

If it matters, the files I imported into DVD Author were encoded mpeg 2
with a constant bit rate of 4000 kbps and mpeg1 2 layer audio at a 224
kbps bit rate. Though one short track was encoded at 8000 kbps. The
DVD was burned at 4x. It's 4.7 GB, 1-4x capable.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with DVD+RWs? My next step is to try
burning onto a DVD+R, but before I start making coasters, I figured I'd
ask is anyone is familiar with such a problem.

Thanks!

Ken

"kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message
> Hi. I just made a DVD using DVD Author. I burned the finished product to
> DVD+RW. I find that it looks fine on my PC's software DVD player, but
> when I play the disc in my regular DVD player on my TV, the sound is
> slightly out of sync.
>
> If it matters, the files I imported into DVD Author were encoded mpeg 2
> with a constant bit rate of 4000 kbps and mpeg1 2 layer audio at a 224
> kbps bit rate. Though one short track was encoded at 8000 kbps. The DVD
> was burned at 4x. It's 4.7 GB, 1-4x capable.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a problem with DVD+RWs? My next step is to try
> burning onto a DVD+R, but before I start making coasters, I figured I'd
> ask is anyone is familiar with such a problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

How did you acquire the MPEG 2 files? What is your capture
setup? (If you have mentioned it before, I've forgotten)
The following from a VCD>DVD tutorial may be of some help:

"3. If the mpeg or VCD was made using a live capture program,
you may experience audio sync problems after conversion to DVD.
This is because many real time mpeg encoders create a 'padding'
stream in the mpeg, to compensate for dropped video frames and
other things so that the audio and video stays in sync. By default,
the DVD authoring programs I tried ignored the padding stream
when converting the audio and therefore there were problems.

There is a solution, so first we need to check if there's going to be
this problem.

Start TMPGEnc and go to file -> MPEG Tools. Go to the
de-multiplex tab, and brose for your mpeg. You'll get a list of streams
in the file - there should be a video_stream and audio_stream - if there's
also a padding_stream then you may have the sync problem. While you
have this screen up, note the MPEG's audio bitrate - it should be 224kbps
for a standard VCD, but may be different if this is a non-standard file.

To see if you have a sync problem, go to the simple multiplex tab and
select your mpeg as the video input. The program should automatically
also select it as audio input. Enter a new file name for the output, and
then
click run. This will create another mpeg file, this time without the padding
stream. Play this in Windows Media Player and as before check throughout
the file for loss of audio sync - if you have none you can skip ahead to
DVD
Authoring. Now delete this new file as we only made it for checking the sync
keep your original mpeg."

[The TMPGEnc referred to above is the encoder, there are free trials of
the current full featured versions, and the up to date free version is also
available. www.pegasys-inc.com has a link to the .org site with the free
version.]

"4. You can skip this and the next step if you have no audio sync problems
after TMPGEnc remultiplexed the file, and you do not want to use an external
AC-3 (Dolby Digital) encoder.

In TMPGEnc, go to option -> environmental setting. Go to the VFAPI Plug-in
tab. In the list there, uncheck the box next to CRI Sofdec MPEG Decoder.
Also,
find Microsoft MPEG-1 Decoder in the list and right click on it - select
'higher
priority'. Click ok.

Now, at the bottom right of the TMPGEnc window, select 'ES (Audio only)'.
Click the browse button next to audio source and select your mpeg file, and
select
a target file for the audio output.

Now click 'setting' in the right corner. Some of the options on the new page
that
will appear may be 'locked' (grayed out) - if you need to change them, click
on
the name on the left side and select unlock. For sampling frequency, select
48000
(this is the DVD standard). If you have an AC-3 (Dolby Digital) encoder,
select
'Linear PCM' as stream type (note - you will need approx 1 gig of HD space
for a
1 hour 48 kHz LPCM stream). if not, select 'MPEG-1 Audio Layer II' and
select a
bitrate for the stream - if you have enough space on the target DVD, pick a
bitrate
higher than the original bitrate of the MPEG audio (which should be 224) as
we are
transcoding the audio so there may be a quality loss if you pick the same or
a lower
audio bitrate. Click ok, then 'Start' in the top right of the main TMPGEnc
window
and wait for your audio to be converted.

5. If you saved the audio to a LPCM wav file above and use an external AC-3
encoder (i.e. SoftEncode) you should now use this to convert your audio to a
Dolby 2.0 (AC-3) file.

6. At this point, you should have the mpeg extracted from the VCD and (if
you
had sync problems or use an external dolby encoder) an audio file, either
MPEG
L2 (mp2), LPCM (wav) or Dolby Digital (ac3).

Start your DVD authoring program and begin a new project. Add a video track,
selecting the mpeg as the video source and your audio file as audio source
(if you
had no sync problems so never made an audio file, use the mpeg for audio
too). If
your audio is LPCM and you want to use your authoring program's integrated
AC-3 encoder, be sure to specify that the LPCM should be re-encoded to this
format (in TMPGEnc DVD Author, this is in track settings). If the audio was
in
sync so you did not re-encode the audio using TMPGEnc, you will have to
specify
in your authoring program that the file be upsampled to 48 kHz, and
optionally
converted to AC-3.

In TMPGEnc DVD Author you can also select chapter point and start/end points
for a track. This part is also useful for checking the audio sync is correct
before you
start making the DVD files - as before, go to the middle and ends of the
file and
check the lip sync.

Add other video tracks/titles, following the above instructions for each,
and start
the DVD creation process.

7. Always check your files in a software DVD player before writing to disc."

There are capture setups that insure that the audio is associated to
each frame or field (as is true for some hardware A/D converters) as
the capture is made. Just from all the posts I've seen on this problem,
I think that not all the approaches used, work well together. At least
not always with their default settings. If this association is broken by
techniques like the "Padding" mentioned above, these problems occur.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message
>> Hi. I just made a DVD using DVD Author. I burned the finished product
>> to DVD+RW. I find that it looks fine on my PC's software DVD player, but
>> when I play the disc in my regular DVD player on my TV, the sound is
>> slightly out of sync.
>>
>> If it matters, the files I imported into DVD Author were encoded mpeg 2
>> with a constant bit rate of 4000 kbps and mpeg1 2 layer audio at a 224
>> kbps bit rate. Though one short track was encoded at 8000 kbps. The DVD
>> was burned at 4x. It's 4.7 GB, 1-4x capable.
>>
>> I'm wondering if this is a problem with DVD+RWs? My next step is to try
>> burning onto a DVD+R, but before I start making coasters, I figured I'd
>> ask is anyone is familiar with such a problem.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ken

<Massive clip>

> There are capture setups that insure that the audio is associated to
> each frame or field (as is true for some hardware A/D converters) as
> the capture is made. Just from all the posts I've seen on this problem,
> I think that not all the approaches used, work well together. At least
> not always with their default settings. If this association is broken by
> techniques like the "Padding" mentioned above, these problems occur.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

P.S. You might consider a VBR capture/encoding, as there may be
more attention paid to keeping the audio and video in sync. Although
if the problem is really because of "dropped frames", and you are using
a software capture this might make the problem worse. You might also
check to be sure your storage sys (Hard drive setup) is running as fast
and smooth as possible. You could try not having any other disk access
going on during a capture.