server 2003 running terminal services with all users runni..

I have a network set up running terminal services on a windows server 2003 with remote users running xp pro. I have been told I have licenses for 5 users but after 2 are connected I get a message stating that we have already used the allowed # of connections. So I contacted Microsoft and was told I need another server in the network. I have one windows based program that 4 users must be able to get onto at one time all day long. I have other people telling me that I don't need another server and should be able to run this operation off what I have. Help.
6 answers Last reply
More about server 2003 running terminal services users runni

    You are using Terminal Services in Remote Desktop mode, not Terminal
    Services mode...

    Go to Add-Remove Programs, Add-Remove Windows Components, and enable
    Terminal Services and Terminal Services license. You would then
    install the license following the help file/documentation included
    with the license keys...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:01:04 -0700, "sean"

    >I have a network set up running terminal services on a windows server 2003 with remote users running xp pro. I have been told I have licenses for 5 users but after 2 are connected I get a message stating that we have already used the allowed # of connections. So I contacted Microsoft and was told I need another server in the network. I have one windows based program that 4 users must be able to get onto at one time all day long. I have other people telling me that I don't need another server and should be able to run this operation off what I have. Help.

    everyone I talk to says that 2003 server sbs does not support terminal services and need to purchase 2003 standard edition. and is it possible to change the maxium usage for reote desktop mode to 3,4, or 5.

    Not an SBS expert (maybe Bill can post here), but I think you are
    right that SBS cannot run Terminal Services...

    No, you can't change Remote Desktop to support 4 or 5.. Note that you
    could do three... (2 terminal services sessions + 1 console session
    accessible via the mstsc /v:servername /console command).

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:31:02 -0700, "sean"

    >everyone I talk to says that 2003 server sbs does not support terminal services and need to purchase 2003 standard edition. and is it possible to change the maxium usage for reote desktop mode to 3,4, or 5.

    So how do you get into a console session or even get to set that up?

    Two ways -

    First and easiest - run "mstsc /v:computername /console" from a
    command prompt or the Start->Run menu.

    Second way - through the Remote Desktop MMC plugin - but I have no
    experience with this one...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 10:46:02 -0700, "sean"

    >So how do you get into a console session or even get to set that up?

    very nice thank you have 3 people running same windows based program via terminal services on sbs 2003. Now just need to back up and figure how to add a computer with xp pro in a domain via a netgear router to network (in same office).

Terminal Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Servers Windows XP