Hit by sasser, cannot connect to remote desktop afterwards

Hi,

I was recently hit by sasser on my Windows XP Pro machine
at work. Before this I was extensively using remote
desktop and it worked great. For the last few days I have
been unable to connect to the machine anymore. I initially
thought it was because of sasser so I removed the virus
using the patch provided by MS. However, the problem with
remote desktop still persists. I would be very grateful if
someone has any insight regarding this matter.

Thanks,
Usman.

As part of removing Sasser, did you lock down the firewall, or a
nat/router--in order to get the infection cleared up?

I don't have first-hand experience with removing Sasser, yet.

"Usman Khalid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was recently hit by sasser on my Windows XP Pro machine
> at work. Before this I was extensively using remote
> desktop and it worked great. For the last few days I have
> been unable to connect to the machine anymore. I initially
> thought it was because of sasser so I removed the virus
> using the patch provided by MS. However, the problem with
> remote desktop still persists. I would be very grateful if
> someone has any insight regarding this matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Usman.

usman

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Hi,

No I did not activate the firewall (and I have tried that
as well with remote desktop enabled). On further testing I
found a most disturbing behavior. Everytime I try to
remote desktop in to the computer it reboots!

Usman.

wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was recently hit by sasser on my Windows XP Pro
machine
>> at work. Before this I was extensively using remote
>> desktop and it worked great. For the last few days I
have
>> been unable to connect to the machine anymore. I
initially
>> thought it was because of sasser so I removed the virus
>> using the patch provided by MS. However, the problem
with
>> remote desktop still persists. I would be very grateful
if
>> someone has any insight regarding this matter.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Usman.
>

>.

This is a symptom that others have posted here at times, and I don't have
any fix on the cause--don't know whether Jeffrey does.

I'm tempted to recommend a repair install of XP (with great care--disconnect
the network and activate the firewall immediately after the repair, unless
there is also a hardware firewall)--but I'm going to sit on my hands for a
while and see if others have better ideas.

"Usman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> No I did not activate the firewall (and I have tried that
> as well with remote desktop enabled). On further testing I
> found a most disturbing behavior. Everytime I try to
> remote desktop in to the computer it reboots!
>
> Usman.

Before you do a reinstall, submit the crash report that is generated
when you reboot and see what the Automated Crash Recovery system tells
you (or look in the Event Log and see what STOP error caused the
reboot)... We can see what is causing the issue...

Other troubleshooting - try running "sfc /scannow" (make sure you have
your Windows CD available) and see if any other system files were
damaged...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 4 May 2004 14:41:07 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>This is a symptom that others have posted here at times, and I don't have
>any fix on the cause--don't know whether Jeffrey does.
>
>I'm tempted to recommend a repair install of XP (with great care--disconnect
>the network and activate the firewall immediately after the repair, unless
>there is also a hardware firewall)--but I'm going to sit on my hands for a
>while and see if others have better ideas.
>

>"Usman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> No I did not activate the firewall (and I have tried that
>> as well with remote desktop enabled). On further testing I
>> found a most disturbing behavior. Everytime I try to
>> remote desktop in to the computer it reboots!
>>
>> Usman.

Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

This should halt the rebooting problem.

Follow these directions to remove The Sasser Worm from your computer:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

On Tue, 4 May 2004 14:41:07 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>This is a symptom that others have posted here at times, and I don't have
>any fix on the cause--don't know whether Jeffrey does.
>
>I'm tempted to recommend a repair install of XP (with great care--disconnect
>the network and activate the firewall immediately after the repair, unless
>there is also a hardware firewall)--but I'm going to sit on my hands for a
>while and see if others have better ideas.

I'd start by turning off System Restore. Then run yer favorite
anti-virus program with latest definitions.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Hi,

I don't get any memory dump whatsoever. The computer
simply reboots everytime I try to remote desktop in to the
machine. I believe I removed sasser successfully and all
virus scans are clean. I will try the "shutdown -a" option
but I don't think this has anything to do with sasser now.

Usman.

Check the event logs to see whether there's anything significant written
there around the reboot times, but there may not be.

> Hi,
>
> I don't get any memory dump whatsoever. The computer
> simply reboots everytime I try to remote desktop in to the
> machine. I believe I removed sasser successfully and all
> virus scans are clean. I will try the "shutdown -a" option
> but I don't think this has anything to do with sasser now.
>
> Usman.

Then do the link.

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

Kafka

I got the SAME problem.

I've double checked the terminal services status afterwards. It was set to disabled. Hence, I change it b ack to "Enable" mode in Add/Move Programes -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Enable blah blah blah.

However, even after that, the remote app is still not working.

Anybody have similar problems?----- Usman Khalid wrote: -----

Hi,

I was recently hit by sasser on my Windows XP Pro machine
at work. Before this I was extensively using remote
desktop and it worked great. For the last few days I have
been unable to connect to the machine anymore. I initially
thought it was because of sasser so I removed the virus
using the patch provided by MS. However, the problem with
remote desktop still persists. I would be very grateful if
someone has any insight regarding this matter.

Thanks,
Usman.

There have been reports of this happening on Terminal Servers but not on workstations that I know of. You could try seeing if the same fix that is fixing it on the server will work on XP. See:
http://thethin.net/faqs2.cfm?id=464&category=2

If the keys in the FAQ DO exist on your XP machine make a back up them first and then try and delete them and reboot.
Let us know if this works.
Jim
http://thin.net

Merrill Lifer posted this, below:

We had the same problem tryingt to remote into boxes hit
with this virus. I deleted the following registry key,
rebooted and now Im fine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermS
ervice\Parameters\Certificate

so this key exists on XP and may be the fix needed.

"Jim Kenzig http://thin.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:99EA8C8D-2C80-41F3-B1CF-B5A7853A34C7@microsoft.com...
> There have been reports of this happening on Terminal Servers but not on
> workstations that I know of. You could try seeing if the same fix that is
> fixing it on the server will work on XP. See:
> http://thethin.net/faqs2.cfm?id=464&category=2
>

> If the keys in the FAQ DO exist on your XP machine make a back up them
> first and then try and delete them and reboot.
> Let us know if this works.
> Jim
> http://thin.net

kenbosley

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Check for this event in the system log on the host:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: TermDD
Event ID: 50

To workaround this issue:

1. On the Terminal Services Server, use the Registry editor to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters.

2. Delete the Certificate Value Name, a REG_BINARY data type.

3. Shutdown and restart the Terminal Services Server. The Certificate Value Name is automatically regenerated

I did this and it resolved everything. I have no idea of the original cause but it may have occurred during a Sasser attack when my host system was being constantly rebooted (because it lacked the patches) and I was trying to remotely access the host from my laptop in order to install the patches.