AVI to MPEG

HELP...
I have a number of AVI files generated directly from video
camera...they play just fine in several players...and editors...
I need to convert them to MPEG... I have tried with several products
and just to test, several other converters...
It builds a very small file and then says...(see attached)
An error occured while attempting to convert the input file:
?????????.
OR Invalid file format...

What's going on here...
the test file size is 1gig but i have several 10 to 13 gig files to
convert...

i am running XP on a high speed machine and external drives 300gig...
i have copied the test file to the internal disk and the error still
occurs...

please give me some suggestions...

thanks
ed
1 answer Last reply
More about mpeg

    "Ed Jones" <enj@arcsystems.com> wrote in message
    > HELP...
    > I have a number of AVI files generated directly from video
    > camera...they play just fine in several players...and editors...
    > I need to convert them to MPEG... I have tried with several products
    > and just to test, several other converters...
    > It builds a very small file and then says...(see attached)
    > An error occured while attempting to convert the input file:
    > ?????????.
    > OR Invalid file format...
    >
    > What's going on here...
    > the test file size is 1gig but i have several 10 to 13 gig files to
    > convert...
    >
    > i am running XP on a high speed machine and external drives 300gig...
    > i have copied the test file to the internal disk and the error still
    > occurs...
    >
    > please give me some suggestions...
    >
    > thanks
    > ed

    What program are you trying to use to do mpeg encoding?

    I find TMPGenc works fine, just slow.

    Mike T

Tuner Cards MPEG AVI Graphics