.avi > .wmv quality?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2004 7:09:53 PM

Let me first state this is not spam for Sharegear. I am trying out this
product and in order for it to work with video in a cable modem situation,
it seems I must convert my edited .avi videos to .wmv or other streaming
file? I have converted to .wmv with their included conversion software with
bit rates of 100, 200 or 300. I have tried the reccommended 200 as well as
the 300 mode and the resulting .wmv files are borderline unacceptable.
My basic question, is there a difference in conversion software. Seems
like most streaming video I view online is significantly better in picture
quality. Would mpeg be better? How can I obtain decent video quality in
conversion of .avi to a streaming format? The Sharegear software looks like
it would be excellent for other file format sharing.
TIA.........Dennis - Iowa City

More about : avi wmv quality

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 10:52:37 PM

"Dennis Long" <dwlong@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Let me first state this is not spam for Sharegear. I am trying out this
> product and in order for it to work with video in a cable modem situation,
> it seems I must convert my edited .avi videos to .wmv or other streaming
> file? I have converted to .wmv with their included conversion software
with
> bit rates of 100, 200 or 300. I have tried the reccommended 200 as well as
> the 300 mode and the resulting .wmv files are borderline unacceptable.
> My basic question, is there a difference in conversion software. Seems
> like most streaming video I view online is significantly better in picture
> quality. Would mpeg be better? How can I obtain decent video quality in
> conversion of .avi to a streaming format? The Sharegear software looks
like
> it would be excellent for other file format sharing.
> TIA.........Dennis - Iowa City

Those numbers seem pretty low. I sometimes use 1000 or even
higher for internal (100Mb intranet) distribution.

Have you tried the free encoder from Microsoft? Sounds like it
might give you more options than whatever you are using now.
Never heard of Sharegear.
!