new 108X -vs- 802.11g

Is the new 108 speed backwards compatible with 802.11g and b?

Expanding on my original post...

My son is now at the age where he uses the internet to do school research while the younger ones use it to play and chat with friends. My best option was to go wireless since I don't want to run wires throughout the house. I'm not technologically savvy, which is why I'm here. My brother gave me a netgear router(used), I bought a d-link pci card for my sons computer. Having a heck of a time configuring it to work. Tech rep from D-link was rude at best but helped me set up the pci card to work. It gets a signal from the router anyway but cannot access the internet. While troubleshooting the router I lost connection to the internet on the main computer. As of now, I have the router disconnected. Doing this all on my sapre time which is extremely limited is frustrating not knowing all the setting requirements and what they mean.

O.K. don't shoot me! I just wanted to note that both router and pci card are 802.11b. Is this all I need for home use and what is the transmission range in all this? Same as my cordless phone I'm thinking since it says 2.4GH in one of the magazines. So it should work throughout a normal house. Upstairs and through walls, etc?

Thanks

Yes, you should be good to go as long as you get everything talking to each other. I presume you
have broadband internet access (Cable or DSL). Here is a site that will help with troubleshooting
wireless networks. The important points are to make sure the ESSID/SSID/Network Name and WEP keys
match on the wireless access point/router and the clients.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm

Here are a couple of free WEP key generator sites that you may find useful..

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html
http://www.clariondeveloper.com/wepgen/

If possible, try to physically place the access point as near to and as high up as you can in the
area of coverage. Its possible the 2.4 Ghz telephones and the access point may not play well
together. You might try changing the transmit channel on the access point to 1,6 or 11 (or some
other channel) to minimize interference. Its also possible the phone channel can be changed. Look at
the documentation for help with that.

As far as help setting up and configuring the access point, I would lurk the DSL Reports Netgear
forums for help *AFTER* reading all you can from the documentation that came with the device and
looking at the Netgear technical support web site.

http://www.netgear.com/support/main.asp

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/netgear

Good luck...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Nick Sebring" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> O.K. don't shoot me! I just wanted to note that both router and pci card are 802.11b. Is this
> all I need for home use and what is the transmission range in all this? Same as my cordless phone
> I'm thinking since it says 2.4GH in one of the magazines. So it should work throughout a normal
> house. Upstairs and through walls, etc?
>
> Thanks

Al;

Thanks for the reply. I shall be contacting the support desk for the netgear router tonight between getting the kids to-from sporting events..