Pinnacle Studio 8 sound problems

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I have recently installed pinnacle studio 8, I am having problems with
the sound. When I add any background music from CD or MPEG's the whole
song does not play. I have noticed that the timeline is far quicker
than should be.

When I play the compilation and time it with a stopwatch it is
approximately 11 seconds faster for every minute! Therefore when the
preview has reached the length of the song it finishes, studio 8
believes it has done 4 mins 18 seconds when the true time is 3 mins
40.

I have also checked against the computer clock and it is at the
correct time.

Has any one seen this problem before?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave
18 answers Last reply
More about pinnacle studio sound problems
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Dave Brewer wrote:
    > I have recently installed pinnacle studio 8, I am having problems with
    > the sound. When I add any background music from CD or MPEG's the whole
    > song does not play. I have noticed that the timeline is far quicker
    > than should be.
    >
    > When I play the compilation and time it with a stopwatch it is
    > approximately 11 seconds faster for every minute! Therefore when the
    > preview has reached the length of the song it finishes, studio 8
    > believes it has done 4 mins 18 seconds when the true time is 3 mins
    > 40.
    >
    > I have also checked against the computer clock and it is at the
    > correct time.
    >
    > Has any one seen this problem before?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Dave

    Have you emailed tech support? I have worked with them a couple of times
    with some minor difficulties and they have always been extremely helpful.
    pinnacle@custhelp.com

    Cliff

    >I have recently installed pinnacle studio 8,

    ####################
    There's your problem right there. BG
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "TonyP" <arpierre@hooptonline.net> wrote in message
    > Doc wrote:

    > Don't use it. Actually "buy" something else. Will solve all your problems.

    I've bought 2 others in fact, and will be tickled to try them out, however
    it still doesn't "solve" my problem of the project I've already got tied up
    with Pinnacle.

    > Did it come with the 250+ page manual?

    No manual. The help files are fine for "how to" inquiries but are useless
    for troubleshooting the kind of problems I've had. At any rate, how to use
    it isn't the problem, and that's actually another thing that pisses me off,
    their interface design is great. Highly intuitive and straightforward. If
    only it actually worked. I'd rather they had spent less time making it look
    slick and more time making the software rock-solid. I've got another program
    I use exclusively for capturing (AV_IO) that has only slightly more visual
    appeal than a 70's "Pong" video game, but it works *every* time.

    > Usually, it contains a short demo
    > that you can do instead of spending hours doing something. Just so you
    > see how it works. It could have saved you a ton of time.

    The Photoshoot demo wouldn't have helped a bit because it's not long enough
    for the major problems to show up.

    > >>I made a statement about "me". You are taking it somewhere in another
    > >>direction to feed your frenzy. But one is expected to have some
    > >>knowledge of the operation and use of a computer.
    >
    > > Define "some".
    >
    > Besides turning it on, a basic understanding of hardware and how things
    > work. Even including Control Panel functions. Know how to defrag. Run
    > Scandisk, clean registry, edit startmenu.

    If you read my previous posts then you know I just did an O/S clean install
    (which Pinnacle never even suggested), which cured a couple of problems but
    then new ones popped up once I got past the sticking point I had been at
    before. I don't claim to know everything, but I've got somewhat of an
    awareness of what's going on.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Doc wrote:

    > "TonyP" <arpierre@hooptonline.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Doc wrote:

    >>Don't use it. Actually "buy" something else. Will solve all your problems.

    > I've bought 2 others in fact, and will be tickled to try them out, however
    > it still doesn't "solve" my problem of the project I've already got tied up
    > with Pinnacle.

    >>Did it come with the 250+ page manual?
    >
    > No manual. The help files are fine for "how to" inquiries but are useless
    > for troubleshooting the kind of problems I've had. At any rate, how to use
    > it isn't the problem, and that's actually another thing that pisses me off,
    > their interface design is great. Highly intuitive and straightforward. If
    > only it actually worked. I'd rather they had spent less time making it look
    > slick and more time making the software rock-solid. I've got another program
    > I use exclusively for capturing (AV_IO) that has only slightly more visual
    > appeal than a 70's "Pong" video game, but it works *every* time.

    And AV_IO is a very simple program with only one task to do. Studio has
    a lot more. With the manual, there is a trouble shoot section.

    >>Usually, it contains a short demo
    >>that you can do instead of spending hours doing something. Just so you
    >>see how it works. It could have saved you a ton of time.

    > The Photoshoot demo wouldn't have helped a bit because it's not long enough
    > for the major problems to show up.

    Have you done the project in incriments to see where the problem starts?

    >>>Define "some".
    >>
    >>Besides turning it on, a basic understanding of hardware and how things
    >>work. Even including Control Panel functions. Know how to defrag. Run
    >>Scandisk, clean registry, edit startmenu.
    >

    > If you read my previous posts then you know I just did an O/S clean install
    > (which Pinnacle never even suggested), which cured a couple of problems but
    > then new ones popped up once I got past the sticking point I had been at
    > before. I don't claim to know everything, but I've got somewhat of an
    > awareness of what's going on.

    Along with the install, you updated all drivers and OS? Also, why do you
    not use Pinnacle to capture the project (is it video, stills, combo?).
    Also, how BIG is the file. You know 98SE has a limit on single file sizes.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    > Have you done the project in incriments to see where the problem starts?

    I'd say the problem starts at the "welcome" screen when first installing
    Pinnacle. ;-)

    > > If you read my previous posts then you know I just did an O/S clean
    install
    > > (which Pinnacle never even suggested), which cured a couple of problems
    but
    > > then new ones popped up once I got past the sticking point I had been at
    > > before. I don't claim to know everything, but I've got somewhat of an
    > > awareness of what's going on.
    >
    > Along with the install, you updated all drivers and OS?

    Yup. Before I did anything else I did Windows Update.

    > Also, why do you
    > not use Pinnacle to capture the project (is it video, stills, combo?).

    I tried a couple of captures with Pinnacle but if memory serves, I found
    Pinnacle dropped frames where AV_IO didn't. Even more important is:

    > Also, how BIG is the file. You know 98SE has a limit on single file sizes.

    That's the big thing about AV_IO, it circumvents the file size limitation
    problem of Win98 by stringing together contiguous files of user-defined
    size. This particular project is about an hour and the source files are all
    very long and would be well over the size limit.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Doc wrote:

    >>Have you done the project in incriments to see where the problem starts?

    > I'd say the problem starts at the "welcome" screen when first installing
    > Pinnacle. ;-)

    Possible. But I would try incrementally at first. There might be
    something in AV_IO that Studio may not like.

    >>Also, why do you
    >>not use Pinnacle to capture the project (is it video, stills, combo?).

    > I tried a couple of captures with Pinnacle but if memory serves, I found
    > Pinnacle dropped frames where AV_IO didn't. Even more important is:

    You ran the Pinnacle HD test to see if Pinnacle can capture to the
    drive? Also, your interface to the computer, firewire or something else.

    >>Also, how BIG is the file. You know 98SE has a limit on single file sizes.

    > That's the big thing about AV_IO, it circumvents the file size limitation
    > problem of Win98 by stringing together contiguous files of user-defined
    > size. This particular project is about an hour and the source files are all
    > very long and would be well over the size limit.

    How much ram do you have in the system. Pinnacle says you can get by
    with 128megs, but suggests at least 256megs.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    > Doc wrote:
    >
    > >>Have you done the project in incriments to see where the problem starts?
    >
    > > I'd say the problem starts at the "welcome" screen when first installing
    > > Pinnacle. ;-)
    >
    > Possible. But I would try incrementally at first. There might be
    > something in AV_IO that Studio may not like.

    The avi files play perfectly fine in any other app - Windows Media Player,
    WinDVD, Soundforge, ULead DVD Player. Pinnacle makes DVD info out of them
    fine.

    > You ran the Pinnacle HD test to see if Pinnacle can capture to the
    > drive? Also, your interface to the computer, firewire or something else.

    It'll capture, but it doesn't allow captures over the (4 gig?) size limit,
    so there's no point in using it. My interface is a Pinnacle DC10-Plus using
    the composite in. Again, capturing hasn't been a problem.

    > How much ram do you have in the system. Pinnacle says you can get by
    > with 128megs, but suggests at least 256megs.

    384 Megs, the max my system will hold.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    Doc wrote:

    > The avi files play perfectly fine in any other app - Windows Media Player,
    > WinDVD, Soundforge, ULead DVD Player. Pinnacle makes DVD info out of them
    > fine.

    Then, I am at a loss. I know there are people that gave up on the
    software. Bugs, they report, would be there one moment and gone the next
    to reappear later. And, after all the "fixes", still unusable for them.
    Then, there are those with successful stories, building video businesses
    on the product. I can't explain how or why.

    >>How much ram do you have in the system. Pinnacle says you can get by
    >>with 128megs, but suggests at least 256megs.

    > 384 Megs, the max my system will hold.

    How long is the project?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    > Then, I am at a loss. I know there are people that gave up on the
    > software. Bugs, they report, would be there one moment and gone the next
    > to reappear later. And, after all the "fixes", still unusable for them.
    > Then, there are those with successful stories, building video businesses
    > on the product. I can't explain how or why.

    > How long is the project?

    Just about an hour. The most recent "solution" they came up with is that
    they're claiming since I've only got 4 gigs free on my C drive, that must be
    the cause. Of course it does fine if there aren't any transitions in the
    project and it makes DVD info fine. All the auxiliary files are on the D
    drive as well as the source files themselves. I'm not buying it.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:34:45 GMT, "Doc"
    <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

    >"TonyP" <arpierre@hooptonline.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Then, I am at a loss. I know there are people that gave up on the
    >> software. Bugs, they report, would be there one moment and gone the next
    >> to reappear later. And, after all the "fixes", still unusable for them.
    >> Then, there are those with successful stories, building video businesses
    >> on the product. I can't explain how or why.
    >
    >> How long is the project?
    >
    >Just about an hour. The most recent "solution" they came up with is that
    >they're claiming since I've only got 4 gigs free on my C drive, that must be
    >the cause. Of course it does fine if there aren't any transitions in the
    >project and it makes DVD info fine. All the auxiliary files are on the D
    >drive as well as the source files themselves. I'm not buying it.

    Only 4 gigs free on the C: drive is probably causing more problems
    than you realize. Why would anyone operate with such small a margin
    when Hard Drives are so cheap is beyond me. The local Frys store has
    had hard drives of 160 gigs or more for less then $70 and even bigger
    and cheaper with rebates. Surely it would not be beyond reason to try
    and upgrade the C drive.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Only 4 gigs free on the C: drive is probably causing more problems
    > than you realize. Why would anyone operate with such small a margin
    > when Hard Drives are so cheap is beyond me. The local Frys store has
    > had hard drives of 160 gigs or more for less then $70 and even bigger
    > and cheaper with rebates. Surely it would not be beyond reason to try
    > and upgrade the C drive.

    I was thinking the exact same thing. I cant fathom the rationale(or lack
    thereof) for having the equipment/software to do video editing, and DVD
    burning, yet not make sure to have enough free hard drive space, since a hd
    is invariably cheaper than any of the stuff he needed to do this type of
    project.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    In article <jw71d.584104$Gx4.163942@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    biznospam@notatt.net says...
    > Subject: Re: Pinnacle Studio 8 sound problems
    > From: "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop, alt.video.dvd.software
    >

    > "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > Only 4 gigs free on the C: drive is probably causing more problems
    > > than you realize. Why would anyone operate with such small a margin
    > > when Hard Drives are so cheap is beyond me. The local Frys store has
    > > had hard drives of 160 gigs or more for less then $70 and even bigger
    > > and cheaper with rebates. Surely it would not be beyond reason to try
    > > and upgrade the C drive.
    >
    > I was thinking the exact same thing. I cant fathom the rationale(or lack
    > thereof) for having the equipment/software to do video editing, and DVD
    > burning, yet not make sure to have enough free hard drive space, since a hd
    > is invariably cheaper than any of the stuff he needed to do this type of
    > project.

    We all know it's a royal paint in the ass to reinstall everything,
    that'sw what always kept me from upgrading drives until the 11th hour.
    However this program, Caper XP, will mirror your entire drive on to a
    new one and even the Demo version will do the job.
    http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/

    Just plug your new drive in as a slave or master on the second
    controller, copy the drive, take out the old one and replace it with the
    new one as master on the first controller and it will boot up just like
    before.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message
    > In article <jw71d.584104$Gx4.163942@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    > biznospam@notatt.net says...
    > > Subject: Re: Pinnacle Studio 8 sound problems
    > > From: "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net>
    > > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop, alt.video.dvd.software
    > >

    > > "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > Only 4 gigs free on the C: drive is probably causing more problems
    > > > than you realize. Why would anyone operate with such small a margin
    > > > when Hard Drives are so cheap is beyond me. The local Frys store has
    > > > had hard drives of 160 gigs or more for less then $70 and even bigger
    > > > and cheaper with rebates. Surely it would not be beyond reason to try
    > > > and upgrade the C drive.
    > >
    > > I was thinking the exact same thing. I cant fathom the rationale(or
    lack
    > > thereof) for having the equipment/software to do video editing, and DVD
    > > burning, yet not make sure to have enough free hard drive space, since a
    hd
    > > is invariably cheaper than any of the stuff he needed to do this type of
    > > project.
    > >

    > We all know it's a royal paint in the ass to reinstall everything,
    > that'sw what always kept me from upgrading drives until the 11th hour.
    > However this program, Caper XP, will mirror your entire drive on to a
    > new one and even the Demo version will do the job.
    > http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
    >
    > Just plug your new drive in as a slave or master on the second
    > controller, copy the drive, take out the old one and replace it with the
    > new one as master on the first controller and it will boot up just like
    > before.

    Maxtor and WD both come with a utility to mirror your old drive over to the
    new drive, and the utilities are freely available to d/l from the internet
    to do it if your new drive dows not come with the utility. They have been
    doing this for at least 6 years now...
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    In article <W5j1d.586050$Gx4.252065@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    biznospam@notatt.net says...
    > > We all know it's a royal paint in the ass to reinstall everything,
    > > that'sw what always kept me from upgrading drives until the 11th hour.
    > > However this program, Caper XP, will mirror your entire drive on to a
    > > new one and even the Demo version will do the job.
    > > http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
    > >
    > > Just plug your new drive in as a slave or master on the second
    > > controller, copy the drive, take out the old one and replace it with the
    > > new one as master on the first controller and it will boot up just like
    > > before.
    >
    > Maxtor and WD both come with a utility to mirror your old drive over to the
    > new drive, and the utilities are freely available to d/l from the internet
    > to do it if your new drive dows not come with the utility. They have been
    > doing this for at least 6 years now...

    I wouldn't buy a retail drive, save some money and get the OEM that
    comes with nothing but the antistatic bag :)
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Doc wrote:

    > "TonyP" <arpierre@hooptonline.net> wrote in message

    >>Then, I am at a loss. I know there are people that gave up on the
    >>software. Bugs, they report, would be there one moment and gone the next
    >>to reappear later. And, after all the "fixes", still unusable for them.
    >>Then, there are those with successful stories, building video businesses
    >>on the product. I can't explain how or why.

    >>How long is the project?

    > Just about an hour. The most recent "solution" they came up with is that
    > they're claiming since I've only got 4 gigs free on my C drive, that must be
    > the cause. Of course it does fine if there aren't any transitions in the
    > project and it makes DVD info fine. All the auxiliary files are on the D
    > drive as well as the source files themselves. I'm not buying it.

    Where is it storing the temporary files for the transitions and such? If
    it is the C drive, there might be your problem. Initially, you did not
    say that all was well until you added FX. Those files with the
    transitions are stored somewhere. Find out where.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    > > Just about an hour. The most recent "solution" they came up with is that
    > > they're claiming since I've only got 4 gigs free on my C drive, that
    must be
    > > the cause. Of course it does fine if there aren't any transitions in the
    > > project and it makes DVD info fine. All the auxiliary files are on the D
    > > drive as well as the source files themselves. I'm not buying it.
    >
    > Where is it storing the temporary files for the transitions and such? If
    > it is the C drive, there might be your problem. Initially, you did not
    > say that all was well until you added FX. Those files with the
    > transitions are stored somewhere. Find out where.

    All the temp files are on the D drive.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1baf8ffc983e202d98a719@news.eastlink.ca>, Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote:
    >In article <jw71d.584104$Gx4.163942@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    >biznospam@notatt.net says...
    >> Subject: Re: Pinnacle Studio 8 sound problems
    >> From: "Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net>
    >> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop, alt.video.dvd.software
    >>

    >> "Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > Only 4 gigs free on the C: drive is probably causing more problems
    >> > than you realize. Why would anyone operate with such small a margin
    >> > when Hard Drives are so cheap is beyond me. The local Frys store has
    >> > had hard drives of 160 gigs or more for less then $70 and even bigger
    >> > and cheaper with rebates. Surely it would not be beyond reason to try
    >> > and upgrade the C drive.
    >>
    >> I was thinking the exact same thing. I cant fathom the rationale(or lack
    >> thereof) for having the equipment/software to do video editing, and DVD
    >> burning, yet not make sure to have enough free hard drive space, since a hd
    >> is invariably cheaper than any of the stuff he needed to do this type of
    >> project.
    >>

    >We all know it's a royal paint in the ass to reinstall everything,
    >that'sw what always kept me from upgrading drives until the 11th hour.
    >However this program, Caper XP, will mirror your entire drive on to a
    >new one and even the Demo version will do the job.
    >http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
    >
    >Just plug your new drive in as a slave or master on the second
    >controller, copy the drive, take out the old one and replace it with the
    >new one as master on the first controller and it will boot up just like
    >before.

    Why go to that trouble?. Every manufacturer from Maxtor to WD etc includes a
    drive cloning floppy with the drives to make an exact copy of the data on the
    new drive.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

    In article <ci5v64$5su$1@news.xmission.com>,
    glenzabr@nospamallowed.xmission.com says...

    > >We all know it's a royal paint in the ass to reinstall everything,
    > >that'sw what always kept me from upgrading drives until the 11th hour.
    > >However this program, Caper XP, will mirror your entire drive on to a
    > >new one and even the Demo version will do the job.
    > >http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
    > >
    > >Just plug your new drive in as a slave or master on the second
    > >controller, copy the drive, take out the old one and replace it with the
    > >new one as master on the first controller and it will boot up just like
    > >before.
    >

    > Why go to that trouble?. Every manufacturer from Maxtor to WD etc includes a
    > drive cloning floppy with the drives to make an exact copy of the data on the
    > new drive.

    Trouble? The process is exactly the same.
    --
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

Tuner Cards Pinnacle Video Studio Graphics