Why not combine a DVR and high-def. camcorder???

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

I been in the market for an affordable high-def. camcorder, but it seems the
biggest obstacle is lack of adequate recording medium for the increased storage
requirements.

Why not design a camcorder that uses a hard drive to record data? That would
eliminate the constraints of tape or DVD media on recording time (assuming you
use a 250GB drive). Plus, you could download the video onto your PC and decide
what codec you want to use for output (MPEG-2 for TV or DVD, MPEG-4 for PC
viewing).

The only snag is this idea is battery life....spinning a 7200rpm drive uses a
lot of power but I'm sure most amateur enthusiasts would tolerate a large
battery pack for the privilege of 10-12 hrs. of uninterrupted 720p HD recording
with their camcorders :)

TJM wrote:
> I been in the market for an affordable high-def. camcorder, but it
> seems the biggest obstacle is lack of adequate recording medium for
> the increased storage requirements.
>
> Why not design a camcorder that uses a hard drive to record data?
> That would eliminate the constraints of tape or DVD media on
> recording time (assuming you use a 250GB drive). Plus, you could
> download the video onto your PC and decide what codec you want to use
> for output (MPEG-2 for TV or DVD, MPEG-4 for PC viewing).
>
> The only snag is this idea is battery life....spinning a 7200rpm
> drive uses a lot of power but I'm sure most amateur enthusiasts would
> tolerate a large battery pack for the privilege of 10-12 hrs. of
> uninterrupted 720p HD recording with their camcorders :)

You mean something like these?
http://www.focusinfo.com/products/firestore/firestore.htm
Not quite the 10-12 hrs. you're looking for but it's a start.

Mike