Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Easy to split mpg2 files?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 6, 2004 10:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Hopefully it is?
A friend is going to capture his many VHS tapes, and with a capture card to
capture them as mpg2

I did all mine into Dv avi via a pass through on my DV camera, that allowed
me to split the avi's with vdub in order to import
each avi as a title.

But, it would be ideal for him to capture his tapes as a whole, then split
them into titles.

Is this easy enough to do, so as to have one mpog2 file split into a few
that are just as compliant?

Thanks to those who help us out

More about : easy split mpg2 files

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:00:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Z1T_c.22371$N77.969829@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Hopefully it is?
> A friend is going to capture his many VHS tapes, and with a capture card
> to capture them as mpg2
>
> I did all mine into Dv avi via a pass through on my DV camera, that
> allowed me to split the avi's with vdub in order to import
> each avi as a title.
>
> But, it would be ideal for him to capture his tapes as a whole, then
> split them into titles.
>
> Is this easy enough to do, so as to have one mpog2 file split into a few
> that are just as compliant?
>
> Thanks to those who help us out

Sure, the easiest way will only allow cuts at the "I Frames"
of each GOP. This will normally mean every 1/2sec. This
is not usually a problem if you are cutting professionally edited
material, as there are transitions placed between scenes to
make the cut on.

If "frame exact" cuts are required for some reason, there are
MPEG "Editors" with a "Smart Rendering" feature that will allow
such cuts with little re-encoding required. TMPGEnc is even
bringing one out shortly. "Womble" (spelling?) has been out the
longest and is well thought of.

I would guess that your friend will be archiving these tapes to
CDs or DVDs. Most authoring programs will allow you to do
GOP based cuts. I like TMPGEnc DVD Author's approach
some prefer the way DVDLab works.

TMPGEnc is at www.pegasys-inc.com

Luck;
Ken
September 7, 2004 4:22:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Thanks Ken

Where I am heading is this. Myself, I take my 13Gb DV avi and split that
with Vdub into clips that are the same, i.e. daughter/holiday/outing, etc.
This allows me to import after encoding to TMPG DVD Author so that these 3
files are on the main menu, and then, I set chapters for these so that
firstly, I can access these 3 main unrelated titles on the main menu, themn
access any chapters. This is why I wnat to cut the mpg that my friemnd will
have after his capture to mpg with his capture card.
If he captures a tape, he will have one file, this is where I maybe missing
something. Can with TMPG DVD, I have the structure has exampoles above? Or
do I need to split it? Perhaps the single file can be imported complete, and
cut out the excess? That may be the easiest way.

Cheers
Tony
Related resources
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:WDY_c.22500$N77.974365@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Thanks Ken
>
> Where I am heading is this. Myself, I take my 13Gb DV avi and split that
> with Vdub into clips that are the same, i.e. daughter/holiday/outing, etc.
> This allows me to import after encoding to TMPG DVD Author so that these 3
> files are on the main menu, and then, I set chapters for these so that
> firstly, I can access these 3 main unrelated titles on the main menu,
> themn access any chapters. This is why I wnat to cut the mpg that my
> friemnd will have after his capture to mpg with his capture card.
> If he captures a tape, he will have one file, this is where I maybe
> missing something. Can with TMPG DVD, I have the structure has exampoles
> above? Or do I need to split it? Perhaps the single file can be imported
> complete, and cut out the excess? That may be the easiest way.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
>
With TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA), if your friend gave
you one large MPEG, you would:

Start your project and "Add file" the MPEG file this will give
you a large "Untitled track 1"

Select the video you want for the first "Track/Title" cut out all
the rest of the MPEG. Add any chapter points you want also.

Click on the blue "Add new track..." text, this will bring up an
"Untitled track 2" page, "Add file" the MPEG again and this time
select the video you want for the second "Track/Title". Cut out
the unwanted parts again and make chapter points.

Do the same for the rest of the "Tracks/Titles".

You can use the same MPEG as a source over and over again.

If your friend gives you several MPEGs, just use them as you
need, in whatever track or tracks you wish.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:22:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:WDY_c.22500$N77.974365@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Thanks Ken
>
> Where I am heading is this. Myself, I take my 13Gb DV avi and split that
> with Vdub into clips that are the same, i.e. daughter/holiday/outing, etc.
> This allows me to import after encoding to TMPG DVD Author so that these 3
> files are on the main menu, and then, I set chapters for these so that
> firstly, I can access these 3 main unrelated titles on the main menu,
> themn access any chapters. This is why I wnat to cut the mpg that my
> friemnd will have after his capture to mpg with his capture card.
> If he captures a tape, he will have one file, this is where I maybe
> missing something. Can with TMPG DVD, I have the structure has exampoles
> above? Or do I need to split it? Perhaps the single file can be imported
> complete, and cut out the excess? That may be the easiest way.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
>

One of the bad design features of DVD Author is that if you want a clip to
start and end on the man menu it must be entered a track. If you add three
clips to a track, they end up as chapters. If you add chapters to the three
clips on a track, the chapters are just added as more chapters without being
nested in any way under the clip they originate from.

This is just the absolute wrong way to set up an authoring program!
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:52:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> "Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:WDY_c.22500$N77.974365@news.xtra.co.nz...
>> Thanks Ken
>>
>> Where I am heading is this. Myself, I take my 13Gb DV avi and split that
>> with Vdub into clips that are the same, i.e. daughter/holiday/outing,
>> etc.
>> This allows me to import after encoding to TMPG DVD Author so that these
>> 3 files are on the main menu, and then, I set chapters for these so that
>> firstly, I can access these 3 main unrelated titles on the main menu,
>> themn access any chapters. This is why I wnat to cut the mpg that my
>> friemnd will have after his capture to mpg with his capture card.
>> If he captures a tape, he will have one file, this is where I maybe
>> missing something. Can with TMPG DVD, I have the structure has exampoles
>> above? Or do I need to split it? Perhaps the single file can be imported
>> complete, and cut out the excess? That may be the easiest way.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony
>>
>

"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10jqoavcpo99b35@news20.forteinc.com...
>
> One of the bad design features of DVD Author is that if you want a clip to
> start and end on the man menu it must be entered a track. If you add
> three clips to a track, they end up as chapters. If you add chapters to
> the three clips on a track, the chapters are just added as more chapters
> without being nested in any way under the clip they originate from.
>
> This is just the absolute wrong way to set up an authoring program!
>

Perhaps this is a minor fault, lack of unlimited nesting, but it's
a limitation most of us will very rarely if ever run into. This may
become more of an issue with DL drives and "Blue Laser" tech.
where there is room for such multiple nested structures. You
would have to be dealing with pretty small and/or very low bitrate
clips to fit them in your subchapter menus, on a single layer DVD.

How would your subchapters work any way? Would one of
your "Tracks" be only a menu? Would some of your "Chapters"
have menus? Where would these subchapter clips play if you
were to just select the chapter to play? At the end of the chapter?
Or would the next chapter play? Or would a new menu appear?

For now, what I would do in that situation would be to make
the "Track" menu carry the structure you want and have all
clips return to the "Track" menu when finished. You could use
a pyramid structure or indenting the subchapters on the menu.
In that way you can play the chapters and "subchapters" in any
sequence you want. I would use a text only (no thumbnail)
menu "Theme", and maybe give the "subchapters" a different
color text or maybe make them italic or a different font. The
"normal" chapters could use a Bold font and/or be of a larger
type size.

For practical purposes, I don't see the limitation.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:413da107$0$64874$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>
> For now, what I would do in that situation would be to make
> the "Track" menu carry the structure you want and have all
> clips return to the "Track" menu when finished. You could use
> a pyramid structure or indenting the subchapters on the menu.
> In that way you can play the chapters and "subchapters" in any
> sequence you want. I would use a text only (no thumbnail)
> menu "Theme", and maybe give the "subchapters" a different
> color text or maybe make them italic or a different font. The
> "normal" chapters could use a Bold font and/or be of a larger
> type size.
>
> For practical purposes, I don't see the limitation.
>
> Luck;
> Ken
>

P.S.

Correction that would be the "Main" menu and you
would set it to return to the "Main" menu.

You could combine the above with the ability to select
which chapters appear in the menu. Lets say you had the
following structure setup:

An "Intro clip" plays then the "Main" menu comes up

[Main Title text] " Our Trip West"

[first track/title text] "The Start" (selecting this plays a edited
clip originally composed of several clips; a "Talking Head" shot of you
explaining the need for a trip;some transition; then shots of the family
acting bored around the house until you bring up the idea of a trip;
transition; "Talking Head" again saying that there were three different
trips wanted) After it plays you return to the main menu.

Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Billy's idea" (plays a clip like
above making the case for visiting Disneyland, using video from
commercials or TV documentaries)(since this is really a track you
could construct this in TDA out of chapters/clips that you would not
have appear on the menu, as you are using "Main menu only" setting.)
After it plays you return to the main menu.

Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] " Wife's idea" (again for
a visit to her mother's) After it plays you return to the main menu.

Indented --- [third "subchapter" text] "My idea" (again)
After it plays you return to the main menu.

Indented --- [forth "subchapter" text] "The Compromise"

[second track/title text] "Stopoff at Grandma's" (plays a map
animation .mpg from home to Grandma's)

Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Arriving at the Farm"
Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] "The Kids Playing in the
Barn"
ect.......

[third track/title text] "The Grand Canyon" (plays a map
animation .mpg from Grandma's to the Park and some
stock shots of the canyon)

Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Billy's Donkey
Adventure"
Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] ect....

[--more--]

On the menu it would look like there were two levels
but they would all be "tracks/titles".

Each "Track/Title" would have one or more "Chapters"
but you would never see them.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 8:30:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:413da107$0$64874$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>
>> "Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> news:WDY_c.22500$N77.974365@news.xtra.co.nz...
>>> Thanks Ken
>>>
>>> Where I am heading is this. Myself, I take my 13Gb DV avi and split that
>>> with Vdub into clips that are the same, i.e. daughter/holiday/outing,
>>> etc.
>>> This allows me to import after encoding to TMPG DVD Author so that these
>>> 3 files are on the main menu, and then, I set chapters for these so that
>>> firstly, I can access these 3 main unrelated titles on the main menu,
>>> themn access any chapters. This is why I wnat to cut the mpg that my
>>> friemnd will have after his capture to mpg with his capture card.
>>> If he captures a tape, he will have one file, this is where I maybe
>>> missing something. Can with TMPG DVD, I have the structure has exampoles
>>> above? Or do I need to split it? Perhaps the single file can be imported
>>> complete, and cut out the excess? That may be the easiest way.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Tony
>>>
>>
>
> "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> news:10jqoavcpo99b35@news20.forteinc.com...
>>
>> One of the bad design features of DVD Author is that if you want a clip
>> to start and end on the man menu it must be entered a track. If you add
>> three clips to a track, they end up as chapters. If you add chapters to
>> the three clips on a track, the chapters are just added as more chapters
>> without being nested in any way under the clip they originate from.
>>
>> This is just the absolute wrong way to set up an authoring program!
>>
>
> Perhaps this is a minor fault, lack of unlimited nesting, but it's
> a limitation most of us will very rarely if ever run into. This may
> become more of an issue with DL drives and "Blue Laser" tech.
> where there is room for such multiple nested structures. You
> would have to be dealing with pretty small and/or very low bitrate
> clips to fit them in your subchapter menus, on a single layer DVD.
>
> How would your subchapters work any way? Would one of
> your "Tracks" be only a menu? Would some of your "Chapters"
> have menus? Where would these subchapter clips play if you
> were to just select the chapter to play? At the end of the chapter?
> Or would the next chapter play? Or would a new menu appear?
>
> For now, what I would do in that situation would be to make
> the "Track" menu carry the structure you want and have all
> clips return to the "Track" menu when finished. You could use
> a pyramid structure or indenting the subchapters on the menu.
> In that way you can play the chapters and "subchapters" in any
> sequence you want. I would use a text only (no thumbnail)
> menu "Theme", and maybe give the "subchapters" a different
> color text or maybe make them italic or a different font. The
> "normal" chapters could use a Bold font and/or be of a larger
> type size.
>
> For practical purposes, I don't see the limitation.
>
> Luck;


You are myopic then. And yes, DL and the need to produce a disc with many
tracks that are excerpts is the ideal.

DVD author works unlike any other program. On import, it assumes that all
selected mpeg files belong to the current track.

I will not reiterate the rest....but it is a horrible, severe, and
completely illogical construction. As you import, each individual clip
should be a track unless explicitly combined.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 8:34:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:413dd35d$0$64881$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:413da107$0$64874$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>>
>> For now, what I would do in that situation would be to make
>> the "Track" menu carry the structure you want and have all
>> clips return to the "Track" menu when finished. You could use
>> a pyramid structure or indenting the subchapters on the menu.
>> In that way you can play the chapters and "subchapters" in any
>> sequence you want. I would use a text only (no thumbnail)
>> menu "Theme", and maybe give the "subchapters" a different
>> color text or maybe make them italic or a different font. The
>> "normal" chapters could use a Bold font and/or be of a larger
>> type size.
>>
>> For practical purposes, I don't see the limitation.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>
>
> P.S.
>
> Correction that would be the "Main" menu and you
> would set it to return to the "Main" menu.
>
> You could combine the above with the ability to select
> which chapters appear in the menu. Lets say you had the
> following structure setup:
>
> An "Intro clip" plays then the "Main" menu comes up
>
> [Main Title text] " Our Trip West"
>
> [first track/title text] "The Start" (selecting this plays a edited
> clip originally composed of several clips; a "Talking Head" shot of you
> explaining the need for a trip;some transition; then shots of the family
> acting bored around the house until you bring up the idea of a trip;
> transition; "Talking Head" again saying that there were three different
> trips wanted) After it plays you return to the main menu.
>
> Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Billy's idea" (plays a clip like
> above making the case for visiting Disneyland, using video from
> commercials or TV documentaries)(since this is really a track you
> could construct this in TDA out of chapters/clips that you would not
> have appear on the menu, as you are using "Main menu only" setting.)
> After it plays you return to the main menu.
>
> Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] " Wife's idea" (again for
> a visit to her mother's) After it plays you return to the main menu.
>
> Indented --- [third "subchapter" text] "My idea" (again)
> After it plays you return to the main menu.
>
> Indented --- [forth "subchapter" text] "The Compromise"
>
> [second track/title text] "Stopoff at Grandma's" (plays a map
> animation .mpg from home to Grandma's)
>
> Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Arriving at the Farm"
> Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] "The Kids Playing in the
> Barn"
> ect.......
>
> [third track/title text] "The Grand Canyon" (plays a map
> animation .mpg from Grandma's to the Park and some
> stock shots of the canyon)
>
> Indented --- [first "subchapter" text] "Billy's Donkey
> Adventure"
> Indented --- [second "subchapter" text] ect....
>
> [--more--]
>
> On the menu it would look like there were two levels
> but they would all be "tracks/titles".
>
> Each "Track/Title" would have one or more "Chapters"
> but you would never see them.
>
> Luck;
> Ken
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I want every mpeg I enter to return to the menu....including the submenus of
nested mepgs. The problem with Author is that it considers nearly
everything a chapter...and chapters go to the next chapter, they cannot
return to a sub menu.

Your analogy is fine....I have 28 clips that I want to go back to a
menu....not continue on to the next clip. Ideally, I would like them to be
in sub-menus returning to those sub-menus. Of course, Author and many
others will not do this.

The fact is....and IT IS A FACT...that Author is completely wrong and
cockeyed how it treats the heirarchy of track and chapter. It is
wrong....completely and incompetently wrong.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:17:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10jsh5imkb6n73@news20.forteinc.com...
>
> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:413da107$0$64874$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>>
>> For practical purposes, I don't see the limitation.
>>
>
>
> You are myopic then. And yes, DL and the need to produce a disc with many
> tracks that are excerpts is the ideal.
>
> DVD author works unlike any other program. On import, it assumes that all
> selected mpeg files belong to the current track.
>
TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA)'s import page is for each "Track/Title"
so yes "it assumes that all selected MPEG files belong to the current
track".
As you are building a particular track/title at that point it is most
natural and
intuitive that you import all the clips for that track/title before you
start
another one. When you want to build the next track you just click on the
blue "Add new track..." text. This brings up a new blank import page for
the next track/title. If you are working on building one track, why would
you want to select "mpeg" files that belong in another track?

If you want to add another clip later it's no problem, as long as it
conforms to the same structure as the other clips in that track. One
reason each track is built on its own page is that each track can have
its own spec.s and all clips within that track must conform to those
spec.s. But other tracks on the same DVD can have different spec.s.

While I may not be able to explain it well, it is a most logical and
natural setup.


> I will not reiterate the rest....but it is a horrible, severe, and
> completely illogical construction. As you import, each individual clip
> should be a track unless explicitly combined.
>
If you want each track to have only one clip, no problem
after you have added that one clip; click on the blue "Add new
track..." text and "Add file" the one clip for your second track.

I can't understand your extreme reaction, even if this were
a different approach than you have seen elsewhere, or than
what you are used too; it's hardly wrong much less horrible
or illogical.

Ken
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:50:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10jshd1qka35raa@news20.forteinc.com...
>

>>
>
> I want every mpeg I enter to return to the menu....including the submenus
> of nested mepgs. The problem with Author is that it considers nearly
> everything a chapter...and chapters go to the next chapter, they cannot
> return to a sub menu.
>
True - not to a Sub menu. But they can to the main menu, which
you can structure as you wish. The main menu like any menu can have
more than one page. Whenever you have more items than the menu
theme you selected has; a new page will be made for that menu.
Lets say your Main menu theme had six items but you had eight
tracks, then your Main menu would have two pages.

> Your analogy is fine....I have 28 clips that I want to go back to a
> menu....not continue on to the next clip. Ideally, I would like them to
> be in sub-menus returning to those sub-menus. Of course, Author and many
> others will not do this.
>
You can have all 28 return to the Main menu. Just make them one
clip tracks.

> The fact is....and IT IS A FACT...that Author is completely wrong and
> cockeyed how it treats the hierarchy of track and chapter. It is
> wrong....completely and incompetently wrong.
>

Ok, why is it wrong? What makes it wrong? Why should
it be another way? If it is a fact, what are the facts? What
makes it so?

Ken
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:27:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

The concept of track does not even exist in this domain. You have titles
and chapters. Chapters are subsections of titles. Author does not behave
this way at all.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:43:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10jt9jjnt6m2q02@news20.forteinc.com...
> The concept of track does not even exist in this domain. You have titles
> and chapters. Chapters are subsections of titles. Author does not behave
> this way at all.
>

TDA uses "Track" for what the DVD spec calls "Title". You
might have picked-up on that by all the times I used the term:
"Track/Title" in my posts. It might be a fluke in the translation
from the Taiwanese, in any case your problem is solved, just
think "Title" when you see "Track".

Except for calling Titles "Tracks", it behaves exactly that
way. (It couldn't make DVDs if it didn't, and it sure can make
DVDs.)

I agree that it would be a good feature if it allowed you
to set the actions for after a Chapter plays, as it does for
"Track/Titles". I'm not familiar with such a capability in
other Authoring programs, but it's not a feature that would
make me want to switch programs to have. If I really
needed it for some special situation, I'd just use IFOEdit
to modify the actions directly. (That's assuming DVD
players won't object to the commands)

Luck;
Ken
September 8, 2004 1:32:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Tony" <tdale@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message news:<Z1T_c.22371$N77.969829@news.xtra.co.nz>...
> Hopefully it is?
> A friend is going to capture his many VHS tapes, and with a capture card to
> capture them as mpg2
>
> I did all mine into Dv avi via a pass through on my DV camera, that allowed
> me to split the avi's with vdub in order to import
> each avi as a title.
>
> But, it would be ideal for him to capture his tapes as a whole, then split
> them into titles.
>
> Is this easy enough to do, so as to have one mpog2 file split into a few
> that are just as compliant?
>
> Thanks to those who help us out

The best way I've found to quickly cut MPeg2s is VideoReDo
<http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/index.html&gt;

Just got done capturing 8 2-hour tapes as Mpeg2s. I was able to
quickly scan the videos and edit out a bunch of garbage. Output speed
was lightning fast. The longest was about 10 minutes when I was
cutting from both ends and a bunch of stuff from the middle.

Eric
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:16:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> news:10jt9jjnt6m2q02@news20.forteinc.com...
>> The concept of track does not even exist in this domain. You have titles
>> and chapters. Chapters are subsections of titles. Author does not
>> behave this way at all.
>>

Actually I have seen video"Track" used by none other than
SONY in their Vegas series. Although in my opinion what
they are, would be better described as video"Layers", akin
to layers in Photoshop. In any case, this kind of "Track" is
best left in an editor, where the tools are available to integrate
these "tracks" without making a mess.

So, I could say "TDA has no Tracks", only Titles.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

> "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> news:10jt9jjnt6m2q02@news20.forteinc.com...
>> The concept of track does not even exist in this domain. You have titles
>> and chapters. Chapters are subsections of titles. Author does not
>> behave this way at all.
>>

Actually I have seen video"Track" used by none other than
SONY in their Vegas series. Although in my opinion what
they are, would be better described as video"Layers", akin
to layers in Photoshop. In any case, this kind of "Track" is
best left in an editor, where the tools are available to integrate
these "tracks" without making a mess.

So, I could say "TDA has no Tracks", only Titles.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:19:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:413efe89$0$64864$a32e20b9@news.nntpservers.com...
>
> "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> news:10jt9jjnt6m2q02@news20.forteinc.com...
>> The concept of track does not even exist in this domain. You have titles
>> and chapters. Chapters are subsections of titles. Author does not
>> behave this way at all.
>>
>
> TDA uses "Track" for what the DVD spec calls "Title". You
> might have picked-up on that by all the times I used the term:
> "Track/Title" in my posts. It might be a fluke in the translation
> from the Taiwanese, in any case your problem is solved, just
> think "Title" when you see "Track".
>
> Except for calling Titles "Tracks", it behaves exactly that
> way. (It couldn't make DVDs if it didn't, and it sure can make
> DVDs.)
>
> I agree that it would be a good feature if it allowed you
> to set the actions for after a Chapter plays, as it does for
> "Track/Titles". I'm not familiar with such a capability in
> other Authoring programs, but it's not a feature that would
> make me want to switch programs to have. If I really
> needed it for some special situation, I'd just use IFOEdit
> to modify the actions directly. (That's assuming DVD
> players won't object to the commands)
>
> Luck;
> Ken
>
>

This still does not explain the issue of tracks with multiple mpegs that
become chapters, and then chapters within those chapters that remain
chapters.

A real inconvenience, not found in Factory or Vision Express etc., is that
Author does not allow batch input of 'titles/tracks'. It is a cumbersome
entry procedure one-by-one with no real ability to see what is going on
without laboriously entering title information in the list. A thumbnail for
all the titles displayed would be great..instead only visuals for the
chapters are displayed.

In short, I just find the entire architecture nor very ergonomic except for
situations with a single or dual titles (the only templates available) with
chapters underneath. This is quite a severe limitation for home movies etc.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 8:44:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10juqa4k234o930@news20.forteinc.com...
>
>
> This still does not explain the issue of tracks with multiple mpegs that
> become chapters, and then chapters within those chapters that remain
> chapters.
>
Somehow I can't quite visualize what you are trying to say,
normally I am very good at that.

> A real inconvenience, not found in Factory or Vision Express etc., is that
> Author does not allow batch input of 'titles/tracks'. It is a cumbersome
> entry procedure one-by-one with no real ability to see what is going on
> without laboriously entering title information in the list. A thumbnail
> for all the titles displayed would be great..instead only visuals for the
> chapters are displayed.
>

Sure you can and with thumbnails;

If all your .mpg files are in a directory: use the "Add files" button
and find that dir then do "Ctl+A" to select all your files,

then add them clicking on the ok as they pop-up,

Now you have all your .mpg in your first track/title w/thumbnails,

Click on the blue "Add new track..." text as many times as you
have .mpg you want to be tracks,

Select (using the thumbnails if you want) the .mpg and drag into
whatever track you want.


> In short, I just find the entire architecture nor very ergonomic except
> for situations with a single or dual titles (the only templates available)
> with chapters underneath. This is quite a severe limitation for home
> movies etc.
>

If you stay in the Main menu there is no such limitation on titles.
I think the limit is 99 and that is from the DVD standard not TDA.

Look, if you don't like the way it works, then fine don't use it.
I don't see the limitations you see, and so far I can find a way to
do all that you describe as undoable. We could keep this up
forever but maybe it would be better if we "agree to disagree"
on this and save the NGs bandwidth.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

That is a moot argument. So a track is a chapter because it has an ending
chapter point?
!