Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Rem Desktop conflict with Interactive Logon Message

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Discovered a problem to watch out for and hope this gets
funneled back to MS for resolution.

This problem ocures only if on the destination computer
you enable the "Interactive Logon: Message text for users
attempting to log on". I turned this on in:
Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration ->
Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -
> Security Options (interactive logon about half way
down)

Remote into this computer the first time works if
reconnecting to an account.

However, if you disconnect and try to reconnect, the
remote desktop connection shows a completly black screen
and will not change until on the destination computer
someone presses <ok> to dismiss the logon message text.

My workaround was to disable the "Interactive Logon
Message" in the Group Policy.

Hope this heads up helps someone and gets a problem
report generated.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 2:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Steve Bland wrote:
> Discovered a problem to watch out for and hope this gets
> funneled back to MS for resolution.
>
> This problem ocures only if on the destination computer
> you enable the "Interactive Logon: Message text for users
> attempting to log on". I turned this on in:
> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration ->
> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -
>> Security Options (interactive logon about half way down)
>
> Remote into this computer the first time works if
> reconnecting to an account.
>
> However, if you disconnect and try to reconnect, the
> remote desktop connection shows a completly black screen
> and will not change until on the destination computer
> someone presses <ok> to dismiss the logon message text.
>
> My workaround was to disable the "Interactive Logon
> Message" in the Group Policy.
>
> Hope this heads up helps someone and gets a problem
> report generated.

That's strange. We have the Interactive Logon Message in our domain and
people remote into their machines (including I) all the time. They see the
message on their screen just as if they were sitting in front of the PC..

Of course, no one here has a RDP file saved to remember their password and
such - so I created one out of curiosity. The only difference is that I
don't have to type in my username/password after I click ok on the
Interactive Message.

Sounds like you may have some other issues.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:48:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Any more specifics about your setup? I get the same behavior as
Shenan...

Remote Desktop/Terminal Server OS and SP version?

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Wed, 5 May 2004 19:59:14 -0700, "Steve Bland"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Discovered a problem to watch out for and hope this gets
>funneled back to MS for resolution.
>
>This problem ocures only if on the destination computer
>you enable the "Interactive Logon: Message text for users
>attempting to log on". I turned this on in:
>Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration ->
>Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -
>> Security Options (interactive logon about half way
>down)
>
>Remote into this computer the first time works if
>reconnecting to an account.
>
>However, if you disconnect and try to reconnect, the
>remote desktop connection shows a completly black screen
>and will not change until on the destination computer
>someone presses <ok> to dismiss the logon message text.
>
>My workaround was to disable the "Interactive Logon
>Message" in the Group Policy.
>
>Hope this heads up helps someone and gets a problem
>report generated.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:48:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Jeffrey,

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

I tend to stay on top of the windows updates.

Thanks for looing into this,
Steve
>-----Original Message-----
>Any more specifics about your setup? I get the same
behavior as
>Shenan...
>
>Remote Desktop/Terminal Server OS and SP version?
>
>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the
benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
>On Wed, 5 May 2004 19:59:14 -0700, "Steve Bland"
><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Discovered a problem to watch out for and hope this
gets
>>funneled back to MS for resolution.
>>
>>This problem ocures only if on the destination computer
>>you enable the "Interactive Logon: Message text for
users
>>attempting to log on". I turned this on in:
>>Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration ->
>>Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
Policies -
>>> Security Options (interactive logon about half way
>>down)
>>
>>Remote into this computer the first time works if
>>reconnecting to an account.
>>
>>However, if you disconnect and try to reconnect, the
>>remote desktop connection shows a completly black
screen
>>and will not change until on the destination computer
>>someone presses <ok> to dismiss the logon message text.
>>
>>My workaround was to disable the "Interactive Logon
>>Message" in the Group Policy.
>>
>>Hope this heads up helps someone and gets a problem
>>report generated.
>
>.
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:49:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Shenan,

Make sure we are taling about the same thing. There are
several aspects of "Interactive Logon". The one causing
the problem is "Message text for users". This displays a
not normally seen welcome message in a messagebox with an
OK button at the bottom of the window. After
acknowledging the message (perhaps a disclaimer or
warning to users about using Kaza or such) by pressing OK
button, the user can type/select user name and type
password. I think the problem is that the "Message text
for users" window is not sent to the RD client. Again,
having my client laptop plugged directly into my server
PC the client initiates remote connection, but sees
completely BLACK until OK is pressed on the server at
which time the client is able to log in.
>-----Original Message-----
>Steve Bland wrote:
>> Discovered a problem to watch out for and hope this
gets
>> funneled back to MS for resolution.
>>
>> This problem ocures only if on the destination computer
>> you enable the "Interactive Logon: Message text for
users
>> attempting to log on". I turned this on in:
>> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration ->
>> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
Policies -
>>> Security Options (interactive logon about half way
down)
>>
>> Remote into this computer the first time works if
>> reconnecting to an account.
>>
>> However, if you disconnect and try to reconnect, the
>> remote desktop connection shows a completly black
screen
>> and will not change until on the destination computer
>> someone presses <ok> to dismiss the logon message text.
>>
>> My workaround was to disable the "Interactive Logon
>> Message" in the Group Policy.
>>
>> Hope this heads up helps someone and gets a problem
>> report generated.
>
>That's strange. We have the Interactive Logon Message
in our domain and
>people remote into their machines (including I) all the
time. They see the
>message on their screen just as if they were sitting in
front of the PC..
>
>Of course, no one here has a RDP file saved to remember
their password and
>such - so I created one out of curiosity. The only
difference is that I
>don't have to type in my username/password after I click
ok on the
>Interactive Message.
>
>Sounds like you may have some other issues.
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
>--
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 7:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

anonymous wrote:
> Make sure we are taling about the same thing. There are
> several aspects of "Interactive Logon". The one causing
> the problem is "Message text for users". This displays a
> not normally seen welcome message in a messagebox with an
> OK button at the bottom of the window. After
> acknowledging the message (perhaps a disclaimer or
> warning to users about using Kaza or such) by pressing OK
> button, the user can type/select user name and type
> password. I think the problem is that the "Message text
> for users" window is not sent to the RD client. Again,
> having my client laptop plugged directly into my server
> PC the client initiates remote connection, but sees
> completely BLACK until OK is pressed on the server at
> which time the client is able to log in.

Yes - I believe we are talking about the same thing.

It is used, at least in my experience, for a legal message displayed to
users before logon. Warning them of the rules and regulations governing the
use of said computer.

When a user sits in front of a freshly turned on/logged off PC, they press
CTRL+ALT+DEL and the first thing they see is the message where they have to
press OK to continue to log on - before they get the username/password
prompt.

In GPO terms it is Interactive Logon:Message text for users attempting to
log on. There is also one to define the title of this window, but for the
case we are talking about, I would think that to be unimportant.

I set this on a few thousand machines for various reasons with a few
different messages.

And again - as I said before - in my experience and testing - I had no
problem. No black screen, etc. It displayed the text, I clicked ok and
logged on (remotely or sitting in front of the system, did not matter.) I
have seen, in the past, it take a few extra seconds (up to maybe 30
seconds), but the connection to the remote machine from just about anywhere
is mainly limited in my case by the speed of the clients, not the PCs. In
the cases I deal with, 100Mbit with dual OC-3 connections to the Internet
provide plenty of speed for the client, depending on what they can connect
at. I have noticed at dial-up and lower DSL/Cable modem speed that there is
a little delay on the initial display, but I expected this.

To further clarify I am speaking of the following:

To establish a logon message:
1. Open the Active Directory Users and Computers console, and navigate to
the Group Policy console.
2. In the Group Policy window, which is focused on the Default Domain
Policy, expand Computer Configuration, then Windows Settings, navigate to
Security Settings, then to Local Policies, and select Security Options.
3. In the results pane, double-click Message text for users attempting to
log on.
4. Select the Define this policy setting check box.
5. Type a message that you want a user to see when he or she logs on to any
computer in the domain. In this example, type: Welcome to the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely Newsgroup and click OK. The setting
should be updated in the results pane.
6. Close the Group Policy window.
7. Close the domain Properties page.
8. Close the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.

And is also described, along with a link to the "title" settings at the
bottom, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

Is that what you were talking about?
(It can be set locally on individual machines as well.. If not in a domain
environment - location is similar in the local security policies.)

--
<- Shenan ->
!