Best VHS vcr under $200

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.

I'm looking for best VHS playback.

What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
models.
12 answers Last reply
More about best
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Enrico Ng" <mail@enricong.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.

    Having just been through this, looking for a
    "good" VCR for work, I can safely
    say that most if not all sub $200 VHS VCR's
    are all plastic mechanism garbage.

    It won't matter whose you buy...the extra $$ you spend
    say, from $100 to $200 will NOT get you an improvement
    where it matters..the tape transport itself.

    The extra money usually gets you some dumbass "feature"
    related to programming the thing to record unattended or
    automatically skip commercials during recording.

    If I were you, I would take your money and either rent a
    pro deck OR have your stuff transferred professionally.
    It is VERY likely that any new deck will NOT be able to match
    whatever tracking error was introduced by the "old" deck
    your tapes were recorded on.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Enrico Ng wrote:
    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.

    If you were willing to stretch things a bit by deciding to get the cheapest
    DV Camcorder at about $300 you might think of archiving everything to DV
    tape. Many times smaller and easy to capture from old VCR edit and output to
    Camcorder.

    Cliff
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    If you want s-vhs try looking for the Panasonic
    AG1970
    For vhs look for AG1950 or AG1960

    Enrico Ng wrote:
    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    You might consider this SVHS camcorder:

    Panasonic AG450 complete with hard case

    Asking $450 Canadian plus shipping

    If interested - email: liebgott@mts.net

    Enrico Ng wrote:

    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    V Green wrote:

    >>I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    >>and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    >>something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >>
    >>I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >>
    >>What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    >>I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    >>models.
    >
    > Having just been through this, looking for a
    > "good" VCR for work, I can safely
    > say that most if not all sub $200 VHS VCR's
    > are all plastic mechanism garbage.
    >
    > It won't matter whose you buy...the extra $$ you spend
    > say, from $100 to $200 will NOT get you an improvement
    > where it matters..the tape transport itself.
    >
    > The extra money usually gets you some dumbass "feature"
    > related to programming the thing to record unattended or
    > automatically skip commercials during recording.
    >
    > If I were you, I would take your money and either rent a
    > pro deck OR have your stuff transferred professionally.
    > It is VERY likely that any new deck will NOT be able to match
    > whatever tracking error was introduced by the "old" deck
    > your tapes were recorded on.

    This is absolutely correct.

    With VHS decks, you definitely get what you pay for.

    CPJ
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Having just been through this, looking for a
    > "good" VCR for work, I can safely
    > say that most if not all sub $200 VHS VCR's
    > are all plastic mechanism garbage.
    >
    > It won't matter whose you buy...the extra $$ you spend
    > say, from $100 to $200 will NOT get you an improvement
    > where it matters..the tape transport itself.

    so I'm better off getting a cheapo $20 vcr than going up to even $200

    > If I were you, I would take your money and either rent a
    > pro deck OR have your stuff transferred professionally.
    > It is VERY likely that any new deck will NOT be able to match
    > whatever tracking error was introduced by the "old" deck
    > your tapes were recorded on.

    These were actually recorded fairly recently, I'm not sure what my friend
    was using. She's just watched it too many times. I don't wish to spend too
    much since I will only be using this occasionally for capturing videos to my
    computer. or maybe recording something for convenience, but the main
    purpose will be for playback.
    Renting doesnt sound right either, because if I do this each time and only
    occasionally, the cost will add up and it would have been cheaper for me to
    buy it.

    but anyways, from what I'm seeing here, I'm better off just getting the
    cheapest vcr I can find. (or spending the extra money for a AG-1980)
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Liebgott" <liebgott@mts.net> wrote in message
    > If you want s-vhs try looking for the Panasonic
    > AG1970
    > For vhs look for AG1950 or AG1960

    Are these similar to the AG1980?
    I read that the 1960 produces "grainy" video from vhs tapes, but I don't
    know if this is still better than what you'd get from a reglar VHS deck.
    I'm only going to be playing used VHS tapes recorded in EP mode, not SVHS
    tapes
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    manitou910 wrote:

    > This is absolutely correct.
    >
    > With VHS decks, you definitely get what you pay for.

    Is the AG-1980 the best deck for transferring videos?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Enrico Ng" <mail@enricong.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.

    Spend less than $150, and get a s-vhs machine,
    like the JVC HR-S3900. You get all the nice features, editing controls for
    playback picture sharpness, and you get superior performance for anything
    you tape in the future (svhs quality on regular tapes using ET fuction, auto
    tape bias adjustment, video stabilizer).
    I used mine to transfer some tapes made in the late 70's on a top load
    Quasar. The JVC took care of the vertical jitter, tracking, and using the
    editing control I took out most of the grain.
    This model number is about 2 years old, mine has worked perfectly. JVC
    invented VHS, Panasonic didnt.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    I have used the AG1960 & AG1950 for editing with
    satisfactory results.
    I am presently using the VHS AG1950 with good results.
    These are industrial grade units and will give long
    reliable life.

    Enrico Ng wrote:
    > "Liebgott" <liebgott@mts.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>If you want s-vhs try looking for the Panasonic
    >>AG1970
    >>For vhs look for AG1950 or AG1960
    >>

    > Are these similar to the AG1980?
    > I read that the 1960 produces "grainy" video from vhs tapes, but I don't
    > know if this is still better than what you'd get from a reglar VHS deck.
    > I'm only going to be playing used VHS tapes recorded in EP mode, not SVHS
    > tapes

  11. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    >I have used the AG1960 & AG1950 for editing with
    > satisfactory results.
    > I am presently using the VHS AG1950 with good results.
    > These are industrial grade units and will give long
    > reliable life.

    so a AG1960 or AG1950 will produce better picture quality from a VHS EP tape
    than a regular consumer vcr?
    Oh, and are these similar to the JVC HRS series vcrs?
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    It would be cheapest (and more sane) to go to your local lab and let them do
    the job for you.It's not so simple to connect two VCRs not of the same
    generation to copy tape(s).I have tried and failed.

    --
    Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Iraklion Crete,Greece
    major in electrical engineering
    > I'm looking to archive serveral tapes which have been recorded in EP
    > and played too many times. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford
    > something like a AG-1980 or any other vcr with a TBC I assume.
    >
    > I'm looking for best VHS playback.
    >
    > What are the best vcrs I can get (in store or on ebay) for under $200?
    > I've heard mixed reviews about the hundreds of consumer panasonic
    > models.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics