Offline option selects entire folder, not individual folders

I have enable the 'Offline Files' option. My Documents has
been re-directed to a network share. The option to make
available offline has been selected for the entire folder
and greyed out. I can't change this permanantly, I have
been able to change the location to default, or a
different network share, but it soon falls back this this
behavior. KB article 314918 says to have SP1, but it is
already installed. Any suggestions???
1 answer Last reply
More about offline option selects entire folder individual folders

    Hi,

    To configure the offline files in windows xp follow the instructions in the
    KB article given below:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307853&Product=winxp

    or

    SUMMARY
    MORE INFORMATION
    Configuring your computer to use Offline Files
    Making files or folders available offline
    Making files or folders unavailable offline
    Synchronizing Offline Files
    Troubleshooting
    SUMMARY
    This article describes how to use the Offline Files feature in Microsoft
    Windows XP.

    You can make network files available offline by storing shared files on
    your computer so that they are accessible when you are not connected to the
    network. If you do this, you can work with the files the same way that you
    work with them when you are connected to the network. When you reconnect to
    the network, changes that you made to the files are updated to the network.

    back to the top

    MORE INFORMATION
    Configuring your computer to use Offline Files
    To configure your computer to use the Offline Files feature:
    Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    Click the Offline Files tab.
    Select the Enable Offline Files check box, and then click OK.
    back to the top
    Making files or folders available offline
    To make shared network files or folders available when you are offline:
    Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    Click My Network Places.
    Double-click the network place that contains the folder or file that you
    want to make available offline.
    Right-click the file or folder that you want, and then click Make Available
    Offline. The Offline Files Wizard starts. Click Next to continue.
    Select the Automatically synchronize the Offline Files when I log on and
    log off my computer check box, and then click Next.
    Select the Create a shortcut to the Offline Files folder on my desktop
    check box, and then click Finish. The files are copied to your computer,
    and a "Shortcut to Offline Files" folder is displayed on the desktop.
    NOTE: When you make other files available offline, they are displayed in
    the "Shortcut to Offline Files" folder.

    It is also possible to use offline files with third party servers if they
    have SMB (Server Message Block) protocol installed. With the SMB protocol,
    you can use this feature from heterogeneous servers, such as Netware and
    UNIX.

    Ensure that your network administrator has setup your UNIX or Netware
    servers to use the SMB protocol to share files on the network. They can use
    a product, Samba, for example, to setup SMB on your servers. Once SMB is
    running on the server, you can use Windows XP to connect to those files and
    make them available offline like you would if the server was a
    Windows-based server.

    back to the top
    Making files or folders unavailable offline
    To stop using a shared network file or folder when you are offline,
    right-click the offline file, and then click the Make Available Offline
    command to remove the check. The file or folder is removed from the Offline
    Files folder.

    back to the top
    Synchronizing Offline Files
    Offline files are automatically synchronized by default when you log off
    the network. To manually synchronize an offline file, right-click the file
    that you want, and then click Synchronize. You must be connected to the
    network to synchronize files.

    To edit the synchronization settings:
    Right-click the offline file that you want, and then click Synchronize.
    In the Synchronizing dialog box, click Setup.
    Change the synchronization settings that you want, and then click OK.
    back to the top
    Troubleshooting
    You cannot use offline files.

    This can occur if the Fast User Switching feature is enabled. You cannot
    use fast user switching when you use offline files. To disable the Fast
    User Switching feature:
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    In Category view, click User Accounts.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Clear the Use Fast User Switching check box, and then click Apply Options.
    Quit User Accounts, and then quit Control Panel.
    When you attempt to synchronize offline files, a Resolve File Conflicts
    dialog box appears.

    This can occur if both the offline copy of a file and the online copy of
    the file has been changed. To resolve this issue, click the file-conflict
    resolution that you want, and then click OK. If you want to use this same
    resolution method for all synchronization conflicts, select the Do this for
    all conflicts check box.

    S.Vijay

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP