Incoming connections problem

I thought I had set up my home computer to accept incoming connections, bnut
after hours and hours of unsuccessfully trying to connect from the office, I
took another look at it. Only the fax modem and direct connection options
are listed in the "Allow incoming connections on these devices" window.
Isn't this a problem? Shouldn't there be a listing for the LAN or NIC that
I'm trying to use?

Frank

Is this for a VPN? If so, look at this page by Bob Cerelli, MS-MVP, for help setting this up...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

Basically you just don't select anything when you see the connections available and just hit
"Next"...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> Is this for a VPN? If so, look at this page by Bob Cerelli, MS-MVP, for
help setting this up...

No it is for Remote Desktop.

> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>
> Basically you just don't select anything when you see the connections
available and just hit
> "Next"...

It seems funny (funny strange) that the NIC is not listed as a device.

Frank

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Frank Reichenbacher" <me@nospam-for-me.net> wrote in message
> >I thought I had set up my home computer to accept incoming connections,
bnut
> > after hours and hours of unsuccessfully trying to connect from the
office, I
> > took another look at it. Only the fax modem and direct connection
options
> > are listed in the "Allow incoming connections on these devices" window.
> > Isn't this a problem? Shouldn't there be a listing for the LAN or NIC
that
> > I'm trying to use?
> >
> > Frank

I think your confusing Remote Desktop and VPN. There is no need to setup an incoming connection for
Remote Desktop. All you need to do is to enable Remote Desktop on the XP Pro PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

If the PC your trying to connect to is behind a firewall/NAT/router forward TCP Port 3389 to the
private LAN IP of the PC. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router. If your trying to
connect over a private LAN, call using the LAN IP of the PC your trying to reach...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remotedesktop.asp
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/

--

> I think your confusing Remote Desktop and VPN. There is no need to setup
an incoming connection for
> Remote Desktop. All you need to do is to enable Remote Desktop on the XP
Pro PC.

Oh reeaallyy....

That answers a lot.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

> If the PC your trying to connect to is behind a firewall/NAT/router
forward TCP Port 3389 to the
> private LAN IP of the PC. Call using the public IP of the
firewall/NAT/router.

My home XP box is behind my Linux firewall/gateway and the office box is
behind a router/firewall and W2K server. There are so many variables it has
been very confusing. I've also got emails out to my redhat list to find out
how to open port 3389 on the firewall and then forward the packets to the
correct inside LAN IP address.

Thanks for your time.

Frank