New to VCD creation - re-encoding MPEGs that are non-compl..

I have VirtualDub, so this is do-able, I just don't know how to go
about creating a compliant file format for Nero.

I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
look for.

Nero does re-encode on the fly, but it took it 3 hours to re-encode.
The result worked just fine in the standalone DVD player, so I did
manage to get a working VCD. But the problem is that when I wanted to
make a backup copy of this same VCD by burning a second copy, Nero
started on the whole 3 hour re-encode period again. I aborted the
procedure at that point. I honestly hoped that by not shutting down
and just putting in another blank CD-R, it had a re-encoded file to
work with and that Nero wouldn't have to re-encode yet again.

Well, that wasn't the case. So it would be best after all to
re-encode the file myself so that I just do that once with any
"non-compliant" MPEG format and so that Nero doesn't take care of
doing the re-encoding.

Can someone tell me what filters, or whatever, I need to use in
VirtualDub to do this, pls? I've googled and googled, but I'm still
so new, it's all still very confusing and I don't know where to start
re fixing this MPEG.

TIA.

RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>I have VirtualDub, so this is do-able, I just don't know how to go
>about creating a compliant file format for Nero.
>
>I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
>today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
>box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
>something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
>look for.
>
>Nero does re-encode on the fly, but it took it 3 hours to re-encode.
>The result worked just fine in the standalone DVD player, so I did
>manage to get a working VCD. But the problem is that when I wanted to
>make a backup copy of this same VCD by burning a second copy, Nero
>started on the whole 3 hour re-encode period again. I aborted the
>procedure at that point. I honestly hoped that by not shutting down
>and just putting in another blank CD-R, it had a re-encoded file to
>work with and that Nero wouldn't have to re-encode yet again.

Can't you just make a copy of the first VCD? The re-encoded file is
already on there.

>Well, that wasn't the case. So it would be best after all to
>re-encode the file myself so that I just do that once with any
>"non-compliant" MPEG format and so that Nero doesn't take care of
>doing the re-encoding.
>
>Can someone tell me what filters, or whatever, I need to use in
>VirtualDub to do this, pls? I've googled and googled, but I'm still
>so new, it's all still very confusing and I don't know where to start
>re fixing this MPEG.

Try TMPGEnc instead of VirtualDub. Its project wizard makes it easy,
and it's free for MPEG-1 encoding which is all you need for VCDs (I
think MPEG-2 encoding has a 30-day trial period).

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:10:50 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have VirtualDub, so this is do-able, I just don't know how to go
>>about creating a compliant file format for Nero.
>>
>>I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
>>today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
>>box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
>>something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
>>look for.
>>
>>Nero does re-encode on the fly, but it took it 3 hours to re-encode.
>>The result worked just fine in the standalone DVD player, so I did
>>manage to get a working VCD. But the problem is that when I wanted to
>>make a backup copy of this same VCD by burning a second copy, Nero
>>started on the whole 3 hour re-encode period again. I aborted the
>>procedure at that point. I honestly hoped that by not shutting down
>>and just putting in another blank CD-R, it had a re-encoded file to
>>work with and that Nero wouldn't have to re-encode yet again.
>
>Can't you just make a copy of the first VCD? The re-encoded file is
>already on there.

Yes!

I thought of that, but thought it might not work like regular CD-to-CD
copying and didn't want to risk a coaster <g>. That's what I'll do.

>>Well, that wasn't the case. So it would be best after all to
>>re-encode the file myself so that I just do that once with any
>>"non-compliant" MPEG format and so that Nero doesn't take care of
>>doing the re-encoding.
>>
>>Can someone tell me what filters, or whatever, I need to use in
>>VirtualDub to do this, pls? I've googled and googled, but I'm still
>>so new, it's all still very confusing and I don't know where to start
>>re fixing this MPEG.
>
>Try TMPGEnc instead of VirtualDub. Its project wizard makes it easy,
>and it's free for MPEG-1 encoding which is all you need for VCDs (I
>think MPEG-2 encoding has a 30-day trial period).

I have TMPGEnc, so will give it a try.

I just need to get started and going in the right direction. I'll
learn as I go along, of course. It's just to get going in the right
direction, now when it's the beginning and a bit daunting <g>.

Thanks!

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:13:25 GMT, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
>today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
>box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
>something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
>look for.

You need to know VCD specifications first of all. Then you shall know
what to look for. See, for instance, http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

Your mpeg may not be 44100 Hz in audio, or not 352x240 in video, or
the bitrate is not 1150 CBR... However, sometimes all these things are
not really that important, and you can generate a non-standard VCD
than shall nonetheless play properly. It all depends on where the
non-conformity lies, and on the particulars of your desktop player.
When Nero complains, you can tell it to accept your mpegs as given and
do a non-standard VCD. Record it on a re-recordable CD, and try it on
your player. You may find it does work allright. If it does, then you
are ready to burn it on a regular CDR disc.

>Nero does re-encode on the fly, but it took it 3 hours to re-encode.
>The result worked just fine in the standalone DVD player, so I did
>manage to get a working VCD. But the problem is that when I wanted to
>make a backup copy of this same VCD by burning a second copy, Nero
>started on the whole 3 hour re-encode period again. I aborted the
>procedure at that point. I honestly hoped that by not shutting down
>and just putting in another blank CD-R, it had a re-encoded file to
>work with and that Nero wouldn't have to re-encode yet again.

I would have expected the same as you, but apparently Nero is not
wiser enough. Anyway, this is what you can do. The mpeg files Nero
encoded are now in your 1st CD disc, only they are not as .mpg but as
..dat files instead. I don't know if Nero shall allow you to add .dat
directly to a VCD compilation. If it does, just give it the .dat
files. If it doesn't, then you shall need to make them back into .mpg,
for which there are several programs, but perhaps the simplest is
VCDGear, which is freeware. Get the .dat into .mpg, add those to the
Nero compilation, and it should accept them without re-encoding, as
these are the same Nero generated in the first place.

>Well, that wasn't the case. So it would be best after all to
>re-encode the file myself so that I just do that once with any
>"non-compliant" MPEG format and so that Nero doesn't take care of
>doing the re-encoding.

You would do better making the mpegs yourself with Tmpgenc and its VCd
template, as has already been suggested to you. It's the best in
mpeg-1 encoding, and freeware.

>Can someone tell me what filters, or whatever, I need to use in
>VirtualDub to do this, pls?

VirtualDub doesn't make mpegs, but AVIs. It can, however, be used for
things like resizing, in case you need do that. But that's something
Tmpgenc can take care enough by itself alone.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:10:50 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Can't you just make a copy of the first VCD? The re-encoded file is
>already on there.

I'm afraid a "data CD" made with the files from the VCD shall not
work. Apparently, those files are burnt in a special manner when in
"VCD mode".

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:10:50 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>>Can't you just make a copy of the first VCD? The re-encoded file is
>>already on there.
>
>I'm afraid a "data CD" made with the files from the VCD shall not
>work. Apparently, those files are burnt in a special manner when in
>"VCD mode".

Nero has a CD Copy tool. I would expect the copy to be the same as
the original.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <p16rj0pr1jl0f2o03t3tqvq1a0g4n32sic@4ax.com>, Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:10:50 GMT, DeepOne@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>>Can't you just make a copy of the first VCD? The re-encoded file is
>>already on there.
>
>I'm afraid a "data CD" made with the files from the VCD shall not
>work. Apparently, those files are burnt in a special manner when in
>"VCD mode".
A disk to disk copy will most certaily work.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Your likely to find more information at www.dvdrhelp.com
they have tutorials on different programs and precedures.
You'll also find tutorial's at the Nero site.

Regards Brian

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:15:00 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:13:25 GMT, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
>>today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
>>box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
>>something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
>>look for.
>
>You need to know VCD specifications first of all. Then you shall know
>what to look for. See, for instance, http://www.videohelp.com/vcd

,,,

[snip]

Thank you for the wonderful help. I'm new to all this and this was a
big help.

VCDs are going well so far. I've used TMPGEnc for one file now and
got a VCD-compliant mpg with no difficulties. I've run into 2 files
that are special, though, it seems. (But that's another thread).

Thanks once again.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:34:38 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have VirtualDub, so this is do-able, I just don't know how to go
>>about creating a compliant file format for Nero.
>>
>>I was trying to burn my third VCD that I've ever created, all 3 done
>>today, and having a blast, when this last one I burned had an error
>>box come up in Nero. It said the MPEG was a non-compliant MPEG, for
>>something, with Nero. I ran G-Spot, but frankly didn't know what to
>>look for.
>>
>>Nero does re-encode on the fly, but it took it 3 hours to re-encode.
>>The result worked just fine in the standalone DVD player, so I did
>>manage to get a working VCD. But the problem is that when I wanted to
>>make a backup copy of this same VCD by burning a second copy, Nero
>>started on the whole 3 hour re-encode period again. I aborted the
>>procedure at that point. I honestly hoped that by not shutting down
>>and just putting in another blank CD-R, it had a re-encoded file to
>>work with and that Nero wouldn't have to re-encode yet again.
>>
>>Well, that wasn't the case. So it would be best after all to
>>re-encode the file myself so that I just do that once with any
>>"non-compliant" MPEG format and so that Nero doesn't take care of
>>doing the re-encoding.
>>
>>Can someone tell me what filters, or whatever, I need to use in
>>VirtualDub to do this, pls? I've googled and googled, but I'm still
>>so new, it's all still very confusing and I don't know where to start
>>re fixing this MPEG.
>>
>>TIA.
>
>Your likely to find more information at www.dvdrhelp.com
>they have tutorials on different programs and precedures.
>You'll also find tutorial's at the Nero site.
>
>Regards Brian

Thanks.