Solved

Home made battery for Dell Axim x3i?

May 21, 2004 7:42:28 AM

Has anyone experimented with making their own battery for the x3i?

Three double A rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries would give
the right voltage and more than 5 (!) times the mAh of the regular x3i
battery. Of course the AA pack would be much cheaper as well.

I'm thinking that it should be possible to make a plastic or wooden
block with suitable contacts to mate with the PPC, with wires running
out to an AA battery pack that one could put in one's pocket.

The x3i battery has 5 contacts. That seems more than necessary for a
simple 3.7v battery. Does anyone have info on what these contacts do?

(Cursory checking suggests that two are + and - contacts, with a
second pair perhaps being a capacitor.)

Well, any info would be welcome.

H.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 3:33:59 PM

There have been postings about battery packs in the past, I didn't keep
copies, but why not look through the newsgroup archives? I think there were
links to some kind of battery pack.

"Harry" <Harry@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone experimented with making their own battery for the x3i?
>
> Three double A rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries would give
> the right voltage and more than 5 (!) times the mAh of the regular x3i
> battery. Of course the AA pack would be much cheaper as well.
>
> I'm thinking that it should be possible to make a plastic or wooden
> block with suitable contacts to mate with the PPC, with wires running
> out to an AA battery pack that one could put in one's pocket.
>
> The x3i battery has 5 contacts. That seems more than necessary for a
> simple 3.7v battery. Does anyone have info on what these contacts do?
>
> (Cursory checking suggests that two are + and - contacts, with a
> second pair perhaps being a capacitor.)
>
> Well, any info would be welcome.
>
> H.
0
May 21, 2004 7:41:47 PM

Thanks... already googled the web and the groups and couldn't find
anything with the search terms I was using.

H.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:33:59 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>There have been postings about battery packs in the past, I didn't keep
>copies, but why not look through the newsgroup archives? I think there were
>links to some kind of battery pack.
>

>"Harry" <Harry@SomeDomain.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone experimented with making their own battery for the x3i?
>>
>> Three double A rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries would give
>> the right voltage and more than 5 (!) times the mAh of the regular x3i
>> battery. Of course the AA pack would be much cheaper as well.
>>
>> I'm thinking that it should be possible to make a plastic or wooden
>> block with suitable contacts to mate with the PPC, with wires running
>> out to an AA battery pack that one could put in one's pocket.
>>
>> The x3i battery has 5 contacts. That seems more than necessary for a
>> simple 3.7v battery. Does anyone have info on what these contacts do?
>>
>> (Cursory checking suggests that two are + and - contacts, with a
>> second pair perhaps being a capacitor.)
>>
>> Well, any info would be welcome.
>>
>> H.

0

Best solution

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 7:41:48 PM

You might want to try to get your hands on an old
battery, to take it apart. two pins are + and -,
the other ones are communication with internal
electronics, used for measuring the voltage and
capacity, charge cycles, etc. it's a small pcb
inside the battery that holds a few parameters on
the battery and feeds it to the PPC.
That's my half-educated guess about it anyway..
I see the same on laptop batteries and these have
full monitoring capabilities about their storage
capacity, temperature, current, cycles, etc..
perhaps there's someone on the 'net that has taken
one of those packs apart and made a layout sheet.

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

all ppc's to date run on 5vdc and three nmhi cells = 3.6v so, unless the
x3 has broken the mold, I'd be careful before strapping together a cheap
battery option that could quickly become very expensive.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices] ...someone who has fried more
than his share of electronic components
0
May 23, 2004 3:01:22 AM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:33:59 -0500, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>all ppc's to date run on 5vdc and three nmhi cells = 3.6v so, unless the
>x3 has broken the mold, I'd be careful before strapping together a cheap
>battery option that could quickly become very expensive.
>
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices] ...someone who has fried more
>than his share of electronic components

The Axim battery says 3.7 v on it, nothing about 5 v.

Anyway, I found out that Dell sells a low cost "emergency power
adapter" for the x3i. You fit it with an ordinary alkaline 9v battery
and plug it into the bottom of the x3i. I'm buying one and plan to use
6 AA batteries with it instead of the 9v battery.

That should give maybe 10 hours of use while using the WiFi radio.
That's a heck of a lot better than maybe 1 hour with a fully recharged
regular battery. Now I'll be able to do some decent web surfing and
emailing while travelling without having to depend on the recharger.
0
May 23, 2004 6:38:35 PM

Additionally... think you will find that the ac power adapter shows it's
output at 5vdc.

Using the combo sync cable (that appears to have a coaxial power jack in
the connector, a common "4 Cell" battery holder (available for all sizes
from AA to D) gives a much less expensive and safer extender option
although there may be some minor efficiency losses.

Safer, because the device's internal circuitry will (to some degree)
handle voltage over/under/polarity issues.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
0
May 24, 2004 8:43:12 AM

Which brings me to this article on Dale Coffing's site
www.pocketpcpassion.com...

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/archive/casio/DennisWolf...

This is basically how it's supposed to be done... with a diode that prevents
current from flowing back to the battery pack... but of course, you will
have to make some slight modifications as to how it conencts to your PPC.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
Additionally... think you will find that the ac power adapter shows it's
output at 5vdc.

Using the combo sync cable (that appears to have a coaxial power jack in
the connector, a common "4 Cell" battery holder (available for all sizes
from AA to D) gives a much less expensive and safer extender option
although there may be some minor efficiency losses.

Safer, because the device's internal circuitry will (to some degree)
handle voltage over/under/polarity issues.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
0
May 24, 2004 8:43:13 AM

Thanks! Useful.

The Dell Axim x3 doesn't have a coax plug for recharging... you have
to use the cradle or special AC adapter. But recently they have made
available this Emergency Power Adapter which should allow use of one
of these battery packs.

H.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:43:12 +0800, "Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]"
<ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Which brings me to this article on Dale Coffing's site
>www.pocketpcpassion.com...
>
>http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/archive/casio/DennisWolf...
>
>This is basically how it's supposed to be done... with a diode that prevents
>current from flowing back to the battery pack... but of course, you will
>have to make some slight modifications as to how it conencts to your PPC.
>
>--
>Carlo Ma. Guerrero
>Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
>"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>message news:e191M2PQEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>Additionally... think you will find that the ac power adapter shows it's
>output at 5vdc.
>
>Using the combo sync cable (that appears to have a coaxial power jack in
>the connector, a common "4 Cell" battery holder (available for all sizes
> from AA to D) gives a much less expensive and safer extender option
>although there may be some minor efficiency losses.
>
>Safer, because the device's internal circuitry will (to some degree)
>handle voltage over/under/polarity issues.
>
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

0
May 26, 2004 7:19:59 PM

I'm sorry to jump in on this thread but I saw Axim 3i and though
someone could help?

I'm not sure what happened, something I did I'm sure, but now when
I sync my calendar etc it does not show past appts and such. They are
all there in Outlook but don't sync over. ???
In my Desktop ActiveSync/Options/Settings, I have "syncronize all
appointments" checked.
any help sure appreciated.

jfergus@tampabay.rr.com

> Thanks! Useful.
>
> The Dell Axim x3 doesn't have a coax plug for recharging... you have
> to use the cradle or special AC adapter. But recently they have made
> available this Emergency Power Adapter which should allow use of one
> of these battery packs.
>
> H.
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 04:43:12 +0800, "Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP]"
> <ppcsurfr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Which brings me to this article on Dale Coffing's site
> >www.pocketpcpassion.com...
> >

>http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/archive/casio/DennisWolf...
tteryExtender.htm

> >This is basically how it's supposed to be done... with a diode that
prevents
> >current from flowing back to the battery pack... but of course, you will
> >have to make some slight modifications as to how it conencts to your PPC.
> >
> >--
> >Carlo Ma. Guerrero
> >Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
> >"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> >message news:e191M2PQEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >Additionally... think you will find that the ac power adapter shows it's
> >output at 5vdc.
> >
> >Using the combo sync cable (that appears to have a coaxial power jack in
> >the connector, a common "4 Cell" battery holder (available for all sizes
> > from AA to D) gives a much less expensive and safer extender option
> >although there may be some minor efficiency losses.
> >
> >Safer, because the device's internal circuitry will (to some degree)
> >handle voltage over/under/polarity issues.
> >
> >Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

0
May 26, 2004 7:20:00 PM

hang tight and wait for an answer to your original post... it's been
less than 20 minutes but it has already been answered.

Cross posting just wastes the resources here.

Thanks,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
0
April 23, 2009 3:45:08 AM

Anyone finally figured out the pinouts for the Axim X3 battery unit connectors ?

There is a slice of 3 connectors and right beside another one of 2 connectors...

I have 2 working units here but no battery to test output with voltmeter. Just need to identify the pins on the unit to connect a power adapter directly to the right one(s)...

PLEASE ANYONE ! I cant beleive nobody woud have done it yet, this is an old device already !

???
0