Remote Desktop thru Port 80

May 7, 2004 12:26:38 AM

i have winxp pro installed at home and winxp home in the
office.

however, all ports except port 80 are blocked in the
office.
i have already changed the listening port for the remote
desktop at home to port 80.
but i still can't connect back home.

does anyone know why and how to fix it?

thx.

More about : remote desktop port

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 7:51:14 AM

Steve wrote:
> i have winxp pro installed at home and winxp home in the
> office.
>
> however, all ports except port 80 are blocked in the
> office.
> i have already changed the listening port for the remote
> desktop at home to port 80.
> but i still can't connect back home.
>
> does anyone know why and how to fix it?

Since you have changed the listening port, I can only assume you are
connecting to that port.
Also, you have rebooted the machine after making your registry changes?

To be sure, try the command line like the following example (Start -> Run):

MSTSC /v:<ip address>:p ort

For example: MSTSC /v:192.168.0.150:80

Of course, your external IP will be different, since 192.168 is an internal
only IP.

You may want to get the newest (I believe - correct me if I am wrong here)
Remote Desktop Connection Client from here:

<- Shenan ->
--
May 7, 2004 11:52:14 AM

thx shenan

i have reboot my machine at home,
and i have the latest remote desktop client installed at
work.

i tried the command line thingy but it still didn't work.

it has a windows popup saying...

[remote desktop disconnected]
'the remote connection has timed out. please try
connecting to the remote computer again.'

it seems that it has made the outgoing connection,
but cannot get the incoming one. (correct me if i am
wrong.)

FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-a706-
cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

>--
><- Shenan ->
>--
>

>.

May 8, 2004 2:26:35 AM

I can give a couple more reasons why this might not work.

1) your ISP might block port 80. Some do, including very large ones,
Verizon, for example.

2) You may be mistaking the presence of a transparent proxy server on your
network for actually having port 80 open. RD traffic isn't HTTP traffic, so
it doesn't work through the proxy.

It's kind of late, so I'll save you the lecture about the risks of incuring
the possibly justified rath of your job's IT department.

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thx shenan
>
> i have reboot my machine at home,
> and i have the latest remote desktop client installed at
> work.
>
> i tried the command line thingy but it still didn't work.
>
> it has a windows popup saying...
>
> [remote desktop disconnected]
> 'the remote connection has timed out. please try
> connecting to the remote computer again.'
>
> it seems that it has made the outgoing connection,
> but cannot get the incoming one. (correct me if i am
> wrong.)

May 10, 2004 12:36:37 PM

why would port 80 be blocked? isn't the web traffic
suppose to go thru this port? thx.

>2) You may be mistaking the presence of a transparent
proxy server on your
>network for actually having port 80 open. RD traffic
isn't HTTP traffic, so
>it doesn't work through the proxy.

so, if this is the case, how can i get around this? thx.

>It's kind of late, so I'll save you the lecture about
the risks of incuring
>the possibly justified rath of your job's IT department.
>
>"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> thx shenan
>>
>> i have reboot my machine at home,
>> and i have the latest remote desktop client installed
at
>> work.
>>
>> i tried the command line thingy but it still didn't
work.

>> it has a windows popup saying...
>>
>> [remote desktop disconnected]
>> 'the remote connection has timed out. please try
>> connecting to the remote computer again.'
>>
>> it seems that it has made the outgoing connection,
>> but cannot get the incoming one. (correct me if i am
>> wrong.)

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 9:54:08 PM

They block it inbound towards customers, not outbound towards the
webservers. Commercial accounts with fixed IP's aren't blocked, I believe.

There are some other tunneling methods that may work-but they are nothing I
have experience with or can describe, I'm afraid. This query comes up
multiple times a week here--do some reading.

> [...]
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:42:55 PM

In addition to Bill's suggestion, you may want to check with your ISP
to verify that they are blocking incoming web connections and find out
what port, if any, they aren't blocking...

After this, you can reset Remote Desktop to use this port.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:36:37 -0700, "Steve"

!