Remote Desktop Printing

I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home. This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer and software in and did a total install to no avail.

Any ideas.
6 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop printing

    This KB article may help...or it may not...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC
    > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home.
    > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a
    > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer
    > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas.

    Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting from, right?

    ----- Sooner Al wrote: -----

    This KB article may help...or it may not...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC
    > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home.
    > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a
    > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer
    > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
    >> Any ideas.

    Yes...

    --

    > Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting from, right?
    >

    > ----- Sooner Al wrote: -----
    >
    > This KB article may help...or it may not...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of
    > us...
    >
    > "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my
    > work PC
    > > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at
    > home.
    > > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load
    > as a
    > > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the
    > printer
    > > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
    > >> Any ideas.

    Let us know how it comes out--Remember that a reboot is needed after
    changing the registry, before the change takes effect.

    Experience has varied with this fix, so it's valuable to know first-hand
    what printers it works with. It doesn't hurt to look for newer drivers, as
    well.

    "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting
    > from, right?
    >

    > ----- Sooner Al wrote: -----
    >
    > This KB article may help...or it may not...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I
    > previously connected to my work PC
    > > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and
    > I was able to print at home.
    > > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on
    > USB and it will not load as a
    > > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the
    > office, so I brought the printer
    > > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
    > >> Any ideas.

    This fix worked perfectly for the HP LaserJet 1012.

    Terrific--I like that printer, in terms of quality and price and
    form-factor, but I was worried about whether it would be a disaster for RD
    users--thanks!

    > This fix worked perfectly for the HP LaserJet 1012.

Remote Desktop Printers Windows XP