  • Remote Desktop
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
May 7, 2004 9:46:07 AM

I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home. This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer and software in and did a total install to no avail.

Any ideas.

More about : remote desktop printing

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:55:01 PM

This KB article may help...or it may not...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC
> using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home.
> This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a
> available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer
> and software in and did a total install to no avail.
>
> Any ideas.

May 7, 2004 12:55:02 PM

Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting from, right?

----- Sooner Al wrote: -----

This KB article may help...or it may not...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my work PC
> using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at home.
> This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load as a
> available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the printer
> and software in and did a total install to no avail.
>> Any ideas.

May 7, 2004 1:23:32 PM

Yes...

--

> Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting from, right?
>

> ----- Sooner Al wrote: -----
>
> This KB article may help...or it may not...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of
> us...
>
> "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I previously connected to my
> work PC
> > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and I was able to print at
> home.
> > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on USB and it will not load
> as a
> > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the office, so I brought the
> printer
> > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
> >> Any ideas.

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:54:44 AM

Let us know how it comes out--Remember that a reboot is needed after
changing the registry, before the change takes effect.

Experience has varied with this fix, so it's valuable to know first-hand
what printers it works with. It doesn't hurt to look for newer drivers, as
well.

"Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks I will try this tonight. The client is the PC I am connecting
> from, right?
>

> ----- Sooner Al wrote: -----
>
> This KB article may help...or it may not...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Kelly" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently purchased a new printer for my home PC. When I
> previously connected to my work PC
> > using remote desktop, my local home printer automatically loaded and
> I was able to print at home.
> > This was an old HP5L xtra on LPT1. My new printer is a HP1012 on
> USB and it will not load as a
> > available printer. I thought by chance it needed drivers at the
> office, so I brought the printer
> > and software in and did a total install to no avail.
> >> Any ideas.

May 10, 2004 12:46:05 PM

This fix worked perfectly for the HP LaserJet 1012.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 9:54:57 PM

Terrific--I like that printer, in terms of quality and price and
form-factor, but I was worried about whether it would be a disaster for RD
users--thanks!

!