Remote Desktop Multiple Computers

May 7, 2004 3:03:46 PM

How do you configure remote desktop to work with two
computers on the same network?

From what I have read the router has to be configured to
forward port 3389 to the computer that will be accessed
remotely. My question is what to do if there are two or
more computers behind the firewall and all need to be
accessed. Is there another port that can be used for each
computer or do you need to access the router and change
the port forwarding to the specific computer.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:17:39 PM

See KB Articles 306759 and 304304

May 10, 2004 3:46:08 PM

Would you just enter the ip address if the external ip address with the port number to access the different computers then?

Example:
Computer 1 changed port 3389 to 3390,
Computer 2 changed port 3389 to 3391
External ip address 192.168.1.10 (I know this isn't a real external ip)
Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3390 to access computer 1
Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3391 to access computer 2
or is there a different way of doing this?
May 10, 2004 5:59:08 PM

Use the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router...not the private LAN IP (ie. the 192.168.X.X)
address...

Example:

12.34.56.78:3390
12.34.56.78:3391

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"mrachul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would you just enter the ip address if the external ip address with the port number to access the
> different computers then?
>
> Example:
> Computer 1 changed port 3389 to 3390,
> Computer 2 changed port 3389 to 3391
> External ip address 192.168.1.10 (I know this isn't a real external ip)
> Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3390 to access computer 1
> Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3391 to access computer 2
> or is there a different way of doing this?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:59:33 AM

There's an alternative way of doing this if the router can change the port
number as it forwards. Many routers which support UPnP functionality can do
this.

You can then leave the machines on 3389 internally, but forward 3390 to 3389
computer 1's IP address, and 3391 to 3389 computer 2's IP address.

"mrachul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would you just enter the ip address if the external ip address with the
> port number to access the different computers then?
>
> Example:
> Computer 1 changed port 3389 to 3390,
> Computer 2 changed port 3389 to 3391
> External ip address 192.168.1.10 (I know this isn't a real external ip)
> Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3390 to access computer 1
> Would it then be 192.168.1.10:3391 to access computer 2
> or is there a different way of doing this?
February 13, 2013 10:40:12 AM

It depends as to what OS you are using. If you are using Windows, you can use Microsoft RDC tool to establish remote connection between computers over same network. Accessing computers behind the firewall can be done by deploying on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB appliances. For router port forwarding kindly visit http://portforward.com/
!