  • Desktops
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 8, 2004 2:05:37 AM

When using Remote connect to logon on machines, I have to go throught the
userid password procvess 3-4 times each time before I get the desktop. What
causes this?

More about : multiple logon needed desktop

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 3:57:53 AM

Can you describe this in more detail?

"Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26@comcast.net> wrote in message
> When using Remote connect to logon on machines, I have to go throught the
> userid password procvess 3-4 times each time before I get the desktop.
> What
> causes this?

Anonymous
May 8, 2004 4:58:44 PM

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
> When using Remote connect to logon on machines, I have to go through
> the userid password process 3-4 times each time before I get the
> desktop. What causes this?

*Please reply in Newsgroups*

I have to agree with Bill here, we need some more information.
I have personally had to logon to the occasional remote desktop session
twice, knowing I entered the correct password the first time. Later I found
out it was an "illusion" - choosing my phrasing carefully - as I could just
enter the username/password once and wait. For some reason the remote PC
was doing something else so it still presented me with the username/password
blanks and I could type in them, but it was unnecessary as it had received
the information. (I know - sounds weird - but it's just to let you know
that you might not be crazy. hah)

What are the computer specs in most cases? (You said "machines".)
What are the Internet speeds involved?
Is there a NAT involved with port forwarding in the picture anywhere?
Could the remote machines be in use?
When you have to log in 3-4 times, does the logon screen just instantly
flash back up each time you enter your information, or does it go away for a
little bit then come back?
Have you tried saving a *.rdp file with your user information
(username/password) already entered and connecting that way?

--
<- Shenan ->
May 9, 2004 4:31:58 AM

It is most prevalent when connecting from home to work, but I also see it
regularly on the LAN at work
From home to get to work I go through a NEtgear Fm114p firewall router
(w802.11b wireless) out a motorola surfboard sb3100 and down the Comcast
cable highway. To connect to work I have to use Cisco VPN3000 software. So
in this case there is NAT involved along with the Cisco VPN.
From work, no NAT'ing is involved and no VPN. Pure TCPIP, DHCP assigned IP
addresses.

MY home computer runs XP home.
My laptop runs XP pro and is a member of my domain at work

I start Remote desktop, connect to the client. I get the Legal Notice text
box, and then clcik OK to get the initial novell logon screen. Usually I
check mark "log into workstation only", enter the user ID and Password and
press enter. I immediately get sent back to the Legal notice text box, where
I hit okay and then have to wait 10-30 seconds for the logon box to return
(as if the screen is locked). Repeat the logon and I get sent back to the
Legal notice box again where I press enter and then immediately (no delay)
get sent back to the login screen. This time it will usually complete the
logon, but sometimes I have to do this loop 1 more time

I can always get on. It's just annoying. I have left computers on at work
logged on under my name and can get right onto those. The ones that are
left at the "Press CTRL ALT DEL to logon screen" always seem to do this from
home and will do it the majority of the time at work (roughly 75%)

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Bruce Musgrove wrote:
> > When using Remote connect to logon on machines, I have to go through
> > the userid password process 3-4 times each time before I get the
> > desktop. What causes this?
>
> *Please reply in Newsgroups*
>
> I have to agree with Bill here, we need some more information.
> I have personally had to logon to the occasional remote desktop session
> twice, knowing I entered the correct password the first time. Later I
found
> out it was an "illusion" - choosing my phrasing carefully - as I could
just
> enter the username/password once and wait. For some reason the remote PC
> was doing something else so it still presented me with the
username/password
> blanks and I could type in them, but it was unnecessary as it had received
> the information. (I know - sounds weird - but it's just to let you know
> that you might not be crazy. hah)
>
> What are the computer specs in most cases? (You said "machines".)
> What are the Internet speeds involved?
> Is there a NAT involved with port forwarding in the picture anywhere?
> Could the remote machines be in use?
> When you have to log in 3-4 times, does the logon screen just instantly
> flash back up each time you enter your information, or does it go away for
> little bit then come back?
> Have you tried saving a *.rdp file with your user information
> (username/password) already entered and connecting that way?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

May 9, 2004 6:38:37 AM

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
> It is most prevalent when connecting from home to work, but I also
> see it regularly on the LAN at work
> From home to get to work I go through a NEtgear Fm114p firewall router
> (w802.11b wireless) out a motorola surfboard sb3100 and down the
> Comcast cable highway. To connect to work I have to use Cisco
> VPN3000 software. So in this case there is NAT involved along with
> the Cisco VPN.
> From work, no NAT'ing is involved and no VPN. Pure TCPIP, DHCP
> assigned IP addresses.
>
> MY home computer runs XP home.
> My laptop runs XP pro and is a member of my domain at work
>
> I start Remote desktop, connect to the client. I get the Legal Notice
> text box, and then clcik OK to get the initial novell logon screen.
> Usually I check mark "log into workstation only", enter the user ID
> and Password and press enter. I immediately get sent back to the
> Legal notice text box, where I hit okay and then have to wait 10-30
> seconds for the logon box to return (as if the screen is locked).
> Repeat the logon and I get sent back to the Legal notice box again
> where I press enter and then immediately (no delay) get sent back to
> the login screen. This time it will usually complete the logon, but
> sometimes I have to do this loop 1 more time
>
> I can always get on. It's just annoying. I have left computers on at
> work logged on under my name and can get right onto those. The ones
> that are left at the "Press CTRL ALT DEL to logon screen" always seem
> to do this from home and will do it the majority of the time at work
> (roughly 75%)

Interesting, and now that you mention it, I saw the problem before when
Novell was involved. We just recently (within the last 6 months) finished
eliminating Novell from the equation, so that has finally left my mind. heh
Not saying definitively that is your problem, but there is a distinct
possibility.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 9, 2004 10:57:53 PM

> Bruce Musgrove wrote:
> > I start Remote desktop, connect to the client. I get the Legal Notice
> > text box, and then clcik OK to get the initial novell logon screen.

Novell... We have exactly the same problem with novell and if you look a bit
in google groups, you'll see that this problem has been reported dozens of
time since the launch of XP several years ago and that Novell doesn't seem
to care about that. I've not been able to find any proper workaround. The
only thing you can do is disable the Novell logon screen (so that you have
the normal Windows logon screen again, the novell logon will then appear
only once you logged into Windows). If you have novell 4.9, this can be done
in the novell client settings, for older versions, you have to play with the
registry.
May 10, 2004 3:36:01 PM

You might have to check the security policies in your system if it is locally configured.But if your are in a domain,group policy specified by the administrator might be the problem.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:03:40 AM

What policy setting though?

"zion" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You might have to check the security policies in your system if it is
locally configured.But if your are in a domain,group policy specified by the
administrator might be the problem.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 4:55:55 AM

I'd say the likelyhood is very strong that this is related to Novell. I've
never seen it, but I've also not worked with a Novell environment recently
enough to have had XP in it!