VPN Connection with PPC

I am trying to establish a VPN connection with my Pocket PC, however when I enter my user name and password, I revceive the following message 'VPN Server Problems. Veryify your username and password and try again.' I have checked and made sure that I have allowed access to the required user name & port 3389 is open. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

PPTP VPN required TCP Port 1723 to be forwarded on a firewall/NAT/router *AND* GRE Protocol 47
traffic to be passed. Some firewall/NAT/routers call that "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through"
or require Port 47 to be open manually (with NO protocol assigned) like my Buffalo WBR-G54. Here is
a small page that details how I had setup a PPTP tunnel into one of my XP Pro boxes...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html

TCP Port 3389 is only used for the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and is *NOT* used for PPTP VPN.
--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"BigBuffalo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to establish a VPN connection with my Pocket PC, however when I enter my user name and
>password, I revceive the following message 'VPN Server Problems. Veryify your username and
>password and try again.' I have checked and made sure that I have allowed access to the required
>user name & port 3389 is open. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 8 May 2004 05:47:18 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>or require Port 47 to be open manually (with NO protocol assigned) like my Buffalo WBR-G54.

That makes no sense. Port 47 has nothing to do with GRE passthru.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

All I am saying is with the Buffalo WBR-G54 that you manually forward/open Port 47 but do *NOT*
specify a protocol. You also need to forward/open TCP Port 1723. Its apparently a design decision
made by the manufacturer. There is *NO* "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" setting on that
router. It does work...:)

--

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:409d2063.11319817@news-server.houston.rr.com...
> On Sat, 8 May 2004 05:47:18 -0500, "Sooner Al"
> <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>or require Port 47 to be open manually (with NO protocol assigned) like my Buffalo WBR-G54.
>
> That makes no sense. Port 47 has nothing to do with GRE passthru.
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:53:55 -0500, "Sooner Al"
<SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>All I am saying is with the Buffalo WBR-G54 that you manually forward/open Port 47 but do *NOT*
>specify a protocol. You also need to forward/open TCP Port 1723. Its apparently a design decision
>made by the manufacturer. There is *NO* "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" setting on that
>router. It does work...:)

Then what Buffalo did was to anticipate those who would confuse
protocol 47 with port 47 and rig things to undo the confusion. Very
clever.

I wonder what you would call such a gambit? Perhaps we should call it
"microsofting". Buffalo microsofted the problem away.

That is what we have to look forward in the future - all software will
become microsofted.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Zion

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Have you tried useing the Ip address instead?Ask your system administrator if your password is still legitimate in the domain.