Controlling a VCR Remote with a Computer?

Nightwing

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Does anyone know of a way to control a vcr remote via one's computer?
I know I"ve heard of computer programs to run many things via some
program & hardware (turning on lights, opening garage doors, etc.)
Looking for a way to turn on the VCR & activate it's quick timer
function, see below for an explaination.

Reason for this question: Currrently there is only one way available
to record HDTV broadcasts, D-VHS vcr's (Digital VHS), but this must be
done via a firewire connection, (which thankfully has become available
from the local cable co. recently). Alas an agreement between the
movie industry & vcr manufacturers, prevents one from being able to
set your vcr's timer to the I-link (firewire) port, you can't time
shift, you have to be there to start recording. So looking for a way
for my computer to turn on the vcr & punch up a time on it's quick
timer (which does work).

In article <9f3sj0dtmms96crl7an534a6eiv5kkv2jk@4ax.com>,
Nightwing@LuniticFringe.com says...
> Does anyone know of a way to control a vcr remote via one's computer?
> I know I"ve heard of computer programs to run many things via some
> program & hardware (turning on lights, opening garage doors, etc.)
> Looking for a way to turn on the VCR & activate it's quick timer
> function, see below for an explaination.
>
> Reason for this question: Currrently there is only one way available
> to record HDTV broadcasts, D-VHS vcr's (Digital VHS), but this must be
> done via a firewire connection, (which thankfully has become available
> from the local cable co. recently). Alas an agreement between the
> movie industry & vcr manufacturers, prevents one from being able to
> set your vcr's timer to the I-link (firewire) port, you can't time
> shift, you have to be there to start recording. So looking for a way
> for my computer to turn on the vcr & punch up a time on it's quick
> timer (which does work).

Actisys IR200L, USR-UIRT, IRBlaster, any of those would do.
http://www.mytvstore.com is there I bought mine.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com