remote using win98

First I am new to remote access.I want to remote
access several win
XP Pro machines to do general maintenance and when
needed when there is
a problem.I can travel to these location but remote
access would make is
so easy.
I need links on articles on how to set up.
Can I access a computer that is in a limited account
profile? I have one
computer that is on all time in a limited profile that
powers down only
the monitor after 20 minutes on non use.
I am asking a lot of general questions. I need links
so I can read up
on remote access.
I will search on the internet and look into a
bookstore.Are ther any
good books on the subject?
Thanks in advance for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about remote win98

    Joe K wrote:
    > First I am new to remote access.I want to remote
    > access several winXP Pro machines to do general
    > maintenance and when needed when there is
    > a problem. I can travel to these location but remote
    > access would make is so easy.
    >
    > I need links on articles on how to set up.
    >
    > Can I access a computer that is in a limited account
    > profile? I have one computer that is on all time in a
    > limited profile that powers down only the monitor
    > after 20 minutes on non use.
    >
    > I am asking a lot of general questions. I need links
    > so I can read up on remote access. I will search on
    > the internet and look into a bookstore.
    >
    > Are there any good books on the subject?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    First, in general I would say it would be good for you to
    setup a Remote Desktop Web Connection to use, that way
    you can connect from anywhere you have access to a
    Windows 98+ Computer.

    Second, yes on the limited account thing, as long
    as that limited account is a member of the correct local
    group: Remote Desktop Users.

    You do know that Remote Desktop will lock down the screen
    in question when you remote in anyway. And if you remote in
    as someone with permissions to do so, you can and will log
    whomever is on the machine off in the process.

    You can setup "Remote Assistance" in a few ways to prevent
    that *if* the computer in question are in a domain. It can
    be setup (search for this) so you can "offer remote assistance"
    instead of the end-user having to ask for remote assistance in
    a domain environment.

    Otherwise, you wanted to learn - here are some links to get
    you started on the subject!

    *****Using Remote Desktop *****

    Set Up Your Computer for Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

    To setup your office computer to use Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/enableremote.asp

    *To install Remote Desktop Connection software on a client computer (XP)*
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/remoteclient.asp

    To create a new Remote Desktop Connection
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

    Connecting to Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me,
    Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000, Remote Desktop Connection Software
    Download.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

    *Running Remote Desktop through a router*

    To run remote desktop thought a router at home you will need to enable port
    forwarding, the process for this differs depending on the router.

    Linksys http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/linksys/linksys_port_forward.htm
    Netopia http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/netopia/port_forward_netopia.htm
    Visionet
    http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/visionnet/port_forward_visionnet.htm

    On the source system (The PC you are controlling FROM) port 3389 must be
    "port forwarded" to the IP address of the machine you want to connect TO

    Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304

    How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759

    *Links*

    What is Remote Desktop in Windows XP?
    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_remote_desktop.htm

    Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284931

    How to use remote Desktop Access in Windows XP (Good Link!)
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

    Setting up a wireless Remote Desktop
    http://www.wireless-network-guide.com/remote-desktop-windows-xp.php

    Using Windows XP Windows XP Remote Desktop
    http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=201&page=1

    Good Luck.

    --
    <- Shenan ->