remote using win98

First I am new to remote access.I want to remote
access several win
XP Pro machines to do general maintenance and when
needed when there is
a problem.I can travel to these location but remote
access would make is
so easy.
I need links on articles on how to set up.
Can I access a computer that is in a limited account
profile? I have one
computer that is on all time in a limited profile that
powers down only
the monitor after 20 minutes on non use.
I am asking a lot of general questions. I need links
so I can read up
on remote access.
I will search on the internet and look into a
bookstore.Are ther any
good books on the subject?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe K wrote:
> First I am new to remote access.I want to remote
> access several winXP Pro machines to do general
> maintenance and when needed when there is
> a problem. I can travel to these location but remote
> access would make is so easy.
>
> I need links on articles on how to set up.
>
> Can I access a computer that is in a limited account
> profile? I have one computer that is on all time in a
> limited profile that powers down only the monitor
> after 20 minutes on non use.
>
> I am asking a lot of general questions. I need links
> so I can read up on remote access. I will search on
> the internet and look into a bookstore.
>
> Are there any good books on the subject?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

First, in general I would say it would be good for you to
setup a Remote Desktop Web Connection to use, that way
you can connect from anywhere you have access to a
Windows 98+ Computer.

Second, yes on the limited account thing, as long
as that limited account is a member of the correct local
group: Remote Desktop Users.

You do know that Remote Desktop will lock down the screen
in question when you remote in anyway. And if you remote in
as someone with permissions to do so, you can and will log
whomever is on the machine off in the process.

You can setup "Remote Assistance" in a few ways to prevent
that *if* the computer in question are in a domain. It can
be setup (search for this) so you can "offer remote assistance"
instead of the end-user having to ask for remote assistance in
a domain environment.

Otherwise, you wanted to learn - here are some links to get
you started on the subject!

*****Using Remote Desktop *****

Set Up Your Computer for Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

To setup your office computer to use Remote Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/enableremote.asp

*To install Remote Desktop Connection software on a client computer (XP)*
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/remoteclient.asp

To create a new Remote Desktop Connection
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

Connecting to Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me,
Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000, Remote Desktop Connection Software
Download.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

*Running Remote Desktop through a router*

To run remote desktop thought a router at home you will need to enable port
forwarding, the process for this differs depending on the router.

Linksys http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/linksys/linksys_port_forward.htm
Netopia http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/netopia/port_forward_netopia.htm
Visionet
http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/visionnet/port_forward_visionnet.htm

On the source system (The PC you are controlling FROM) port 3389 must be
"port forwarded" to the IP address of the machine you want to connect TO

Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304

How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306759

*Links*

What is Remote Desktop in Windows XP?
http://www.petri.co.il/what's_remote_desktop.htm

Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284931

How to use remote Desktop Access in Windows XP (Good Link!)
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

Setting up a wireless Remote Desktop
http://www.wireless-network-guide.com/remote-desktop-windows-xp.php

Using Windows XP Windows XP Remote Desktop
http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=201&page=1

Good Luck.

--
<- Shenan ->