Help: Video Editing Software Recommendation

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I'm want to get together some software for some serious editing(of
mostly scenic landscapes), and was hoping to get advice from those
knowledgeable about the various apps that are available.

What I want to do will involve certain effects I want to incorporate
into a variety of foregrounds, horizons, and skys that I intend to put
together in a variety of combinations.(The effects I want to achieve
will mostly involve progressive changes between night and day, and
also moving shadows as well).

***Realism is the priority.

I know I'll have a lot of studying and work to do, but any advice or
recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

many NLEs like Premiere Pro, FCP and AVID will allow you to do these fx.
Each of them allow layering and some allow you to cut mattes using imported
mattes or mattes made in the apps themselves. As soon as you need to track
moving objects like building outlines, trees or whatever, you will need
something like After Effects, COmbustion, Motion, Shake, etc..

"Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I'm want to get together some software for some serious editing(of
> mostly scenic landscapes), and was hoping to get advice from those
> knowledgeable about the various apps that are available.
>
> What I want to do will involve certain effects I want to incorporate
> into a variety of foregrounds, horizons, and skys that I intend to put
> together in a variety of combinations.(The effects I want to achieve
> will mostly involve progressive changes between night and day, and
> also moving shadows as well).
>
> ***Realism is the priority.
>
> I know I'll have a lot of studying and work to do, but any advice or
> recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

rs

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Do these effects involve adding artifical things to video? Or are you
putting one video layer on top of another and wanting to to things with the
speed of the video?

Not really able to tell whether what you want to do is really simple, or
whether your wanting to become a quasi Pixar or ILM effects generator. If
you could post a "For instance", you would get quite a few detailed
worth of sofware and plugins.

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message news:<4145e3eb$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>...
> Do these effects involve adding artifical things to video? Or are you
> putting one video layer on top of another and wanting to to things with the
> speed of the video?
>
> Not really able to tell whether what you want to do is really simple, or
> whether your wanting to become a quasi Pixar or ILM effects generator. If
> you could post a "For instance", you would get quite a few detailed
> worth of sofware and plugins.

To start, I just want to produce landscapes where I can control the
changes between night and day, and also incorporate moving shadows
where needed. The kind of shadows produced by something like birds or
low flying aircraft.

It looks as though I'll need video footage to get the realism I need.
I will then have to figure out what apps(for Windows) I will need for
the effects.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

On 6 Oct 2004 22:01:27 -0700, Searcher7@mail.con2.com (Darren Harris)
wrote:

>"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message news:<4145e3eb$1_1@newspeer2.tds.net>...
>> Do these effects involve adding artifical things to video? Or are you
>> putting one video layer on top of another and wanting to to things with the
>> speed of the video?
>>
>> Not really able to tell whether what you want to do is really simple, or
>> whether your wanting to become a quasi Pixar or ILM effects generator. If
>> you could post a "For instance", you would get quite a few detailed
>> worth of sofware and plugins.
>>

>To start, I just want to produce landscapes where I can control the
>changes between night and day, and also incorporate moving shadows
>where needed. The kind of shadows produced by something like birds or
>low flying aircraft.
>
>It looks as though I'll need video footage to get the realism I need.
>I will then have to figure out what apps(for Windows) I will need for
>the effects.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

You will need more then 1 program.Terragen for lanscapes and After
effects Pro for soame work. Commotion and Curious GFX and others.Maya
if you are going to use buildings and other sets.Don,t forget some
camera tracking software.

Don