Remote Desktop Refresh rates

When I remote desktop to a workstation then disconnect or
log off the refresh rate of the workstation changes to
75Hz.

This is a problem as we are running flat pannels
analoguely that have a max refresh rate of 60Hz. We then
have to reboot the workstation to get the refresh rate
back to normal.

I have tried setting the refresh rate on the machine
hosting the rdp session but this makes no difference to
the behavior.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and does anyone know
a workaround for it?

Thanks
Gregg

Gregg Irwin wrote:
> When I remote desktop to a workstation then disconnect or
> log off the refresh rate of the workstation changes to
> 75Hz.
>
> This is a problem as we are running flat pannels
> analoguely that have a max refresh rate of 60Hz. We then
> have to reboot the workstation to get the refresh rate
> back to normal.
>
> I have tried setting the refresh rate on the machine
> hosting the rdp session but this makes no difference to
> the behavior.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before and does anyone know
> a workaround for it?

This one sounds unique to me.

How did you come to the conclusion that it is changing the refresh rate to
75Hz on the remote desktop? I know that when I am using remote desktop to
connect to a remote PC, I can not see what my refresh rate is on the remote
system - I suppose because it truly does not use/affect the remote refresh
rate (nor should it.)

Also, the refresh rate should not "change back" with just a reboot, even if
remote desktop is somehow changing it.

Even with a third party utility, I see that the refresh rate is in fact
changing to 42Hz - now that's messed up!

In any case, I do not get these results with over 100 machines that my
customers normally remote into. My first thought would be that the person
logging into the machine is logging in with too high/low of a resolution
(not refresh rate - as I am pretty sure this is not a factor with Remote
Desktop - at least not the one built in to Windows 2000/2003 server or
Windows XP) - but as I myself log into a dual flat panel system with a max
resolution of 1280x1024 per monitor in 1600x1200 all the time and have not
experienced this issue - I would say others probably do it as well.

Here is what I would suggest trying.. Change the options in your remote
desktop client to something like 1024x768, medium (16bit) color - and then
remote in. Be sure you LOG OFF the remote session to disconnect. Or, if
you logged in as the remote user and they were using their console before
you logged into it, on the remote machine, Start -> Run and type in "tscon 0
/dest:console" and click OK (no quotes.) That will push the session back to
the users console since they were logged in before. If the user (you logged
in as) was not logged into the PC before, this will just not work. heh

Another option you could have - if you KNOW that for some reason (I really
cannot fathom it being refresh rate) you must reboot the remote PC for it to
be usable, then close all remote applications and press CTRL+ALT+END while
inside the remote session window. That should bring up the Task Manager or
Windows Security window - depending on the remote setup. You can restart
from there. Or you might try logging off with that method to see if that
makes a difference.

--
<- Shenan ->

Thanks for the response Shenan

To answer a couple of your questions. We were able to
establish that it had reset to 75Hz by attaching a crt
that could handle 75Hz to the workstation. Strangly the
login screen is displayed as normal on the flat pannels it
is just when you log in or unlock the screen they barf at
the configuration.

A roboot works to fix the problem but this is not an
acceptable solution to the myself or the users as we are
using remote desktop to continue work from home/other
offices, Ideally we would want to disconnect to keep
applications running.

The max resolution on the flat pannels is 1600x1200 (Dell
2001FP) and I'm using a dual setup, I'm logging in from a
1600x1200 machine with a crt and running in full screen
mode. I have tried experimenting with resolution and
refresh rate on the machine hosting the session but I have
not experimented with colour depth.

If you have any other suggestions then that would be great.

Thanks
Gregg