Exporting to video killed hard drive

xxx

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

I've been having this same problem with Premiere 6.5 for 2 years now.

I capture raw video from Panasonic DVC-10 using 1394 firewire to drive F:, a
master HDD on its own PCI I/O card. XP and Premiere are on C: drive. I edit
as usual, and then export the timeline to G: drive, also a master on the
same I/O card. The exported file is now one big 28 GB 2 hour AVI file.
I can now start a new project and import the new AVI file and then export it
as an MPEG to make DVD's...the exported file goes back to F:...no problems
there.
Where things screw up is when I try to export to tape. This is when the 1394
is connected to the Panasonic, which is in VCR mode. I connect S-Video and
audio cables to the camera output, and connect it to a S-VHS VCR to make a
tape backup.
Sometimes this works, as its supposed to, but other times, my monitor goes
black, like it's supposed to, I see flickering on the TV monitor from the
VCR output, then nothing...everything freezes up....hitting Esc usually
restores the Premiere screen, but many times, there is no response, the
screen stays black, and I have to hit the power reset on the pc.
The last time this happened, the pc rebooted, and I lost my F: drive....all
it did was make that "beep-click-click-whoosh" sound...I RMA's it back to
Hitachi (It was an IBM).

So....any thoughts on this export to video issue? Also, I didn't see an
Export to Video option in Premiere Pro.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

If I read you right.. you are using the same firewire connection to both
read from the drive and stream data to the recorder?
"xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message
> I've been having this same problem with Premiere 6.5 for 2 years now.
>
> I capture raw video from Panasonic DVC-10 using 1394 firewire to drive F:,
> master HDD on its own PCI I/O card. XP and Premiere are on C: drive. I
edit
> as usual, and then export the timeline to G: drive, also a master on the
> same I/O card. The exported file is now one big 28 GB 2 hour AVI file.
> I can now start a new project and import the new AVI file and then export
it
> as an MPEG to make DVD's...the exported file goes back to F:...no problems
> there.
> Where things screw up is when I try to export to tape. This is when the
1394
> is connected to the Panasonic, which is in VCR mode. I connect S-Video and
> audio cables to the camera output, and connect it to a S-VHS VCR to make a
> tape backup.
> Sometimes this works, as its supposed to, but other times, my monitor goes
> black, like it's supposed to, I see flickering on the TV monitor from the
> VCR output, then nothing...everything freezes up....hitting Esc usually
> restores the Premiere screen, but many times, there is no response, the
> screen stays black, and I have to hit the power reset on the pc.
> The last time this happened, the pc rebooted, and I lost my F:
drive....all
> it did was make that "beep-click-click-whoosh" sound...I RMA's it back to
> Hitachi (It was an IBM).
>
> So....any thoughts on this export to video issue? Also, I didn't see an
> Export to Video option in Premiere Pro.

xxx

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

yes....how else would it be?

"nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> If I read you right.. you are using the same firewire connection to both
> read from the drive and stream data to the recorder?
> "xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message
> > I've been having this same problem with Premiere 6.5 for 2 years now.
> >
> > I capture raw video from Panasonic DVC-10 using 1394 firewire to drive
F:,
> > master HDD on its own PCI I/O card. XP and Premiere are on C: drive. I
> edit
> > as usual, and then export the timeline to G: drive, also a master on the
> > same I/O card. The exported file is now one big 28 GB 2 hour AVI file.
> > I can now start a new project and import the new AVI file and then
export
> it
> > as an MPEG to make DVD's...the exported file goes back to F:...no
problems
> > there.
> > Where things screw up is when I try to export to tape. This is when the
> 1394
> > is connected to the Panasonic, which is in VCR mode. I connect S-Video
and
> > audio cables to the camera output, and connect it to a S-VHS VCR to make
> > tape backup.
> > Sometimes this works, as its supposed to, but other times, my monitor
goes
> > black, like it's supposed to, I see flickering on the TV monitor from
the
> > VCR output, then nothing...everything freezes up....hitting Esc usually
> > restores the Premiere screen, but many times, there is no response, the
> > screen stays black, and I have to hit the power reset on the pc.
> > The last time this happened, the pc rebooted, and I lost my F:
> drive....all
> > it did was make that "beep-click-click-whoosh" sound...I RMA's it back
> > Hitachi (It was an IBM).
> >
> > So....any thoughts on this export to video issue? Also, I didn't see an
> > Export to Video option in Premiere Pro.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

That rarely work correctly. Use either a different firewire card or a local
hard drive. That's your problem.
> yes....how else would it be?
>

> "nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> > If I read you right.. you are using the same firewire connection to both
> > read from the drive and stream data to the recorder?
> > "xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message
> > > I've been having this same problem with Premiere 6.5 for 2 years now.
> > >
> > > I capture raw video from Panasonic DVC-10 using 1394 firewire to drive
> F:,
> > > master HDD on its own PCI I/O card. XP and Premiere are on C: drive. I
> > edit
> > > as usual, and then export the timeline to G: drive, also a master on
the
> > > same I/O card. The exported file is now one big 28 GB 2 hour AVI file.
> > > I can now start a new project and import the new AVI file and then
> export
> > it
> > > as an MPEG to make DVD's...the exported file goes back to F:...no
> problems
> > > there.
> > > Where things screw up is when I try to export to tape. This is when
the
> > 1394
> > > is connected to the Panasonic, which is in VCR mode. I connect S-Video
> and
> > > audio cables to the camera output, and connect it to a S-VHS VCR to
make
> > > tape backup.
> > > Sometimes this works, as its supposed to, but other times, my monitor
> goes
> > > black, like it's supposed to, I see flickering on the TV monitor from
> the
> > > VCR output, then nothing...everything freezes up....hitting Esc
usually
> > > restores the Premiere screen, but many times, there is no response,
the
> > > screen stays black, and I have to hit the power reset on the pc.
> > > The last time this happened, the pc rebooted, and I lost my F:
> > drive....all
> > > it did was make that "beep-click-click-whoosh" sound...I RMA's it back
> > > Hitachi (It was an IBM).
> > >
> > > So....any thoughts on this export to video issue? Also, I didn't see
an
> > > Export to Video option in Premiere Pro.

xxx

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

Huh?? You mean one card to capture, and one card to export?? Thats nonsense!

> That rarely work correctly. Use either a different firewire card or a
local
> hard drive. That's your problem.
> "xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message
> > yes....how else would it be?
> >

> > "nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> > > If I read you right.. you are using the same firewire connection to
both
> > > read from the drive and stream data to the recorder?
> > > "xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message

> > F:,
> > > edit
> the
> > export
> > > it
> > problems
> the
> > > 1394
S-Video
> > and
> make
> > goes
> > the
> usually
> the
> > > drive....all

> an

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,adobe.premiere.windows (More info?)

no.. I mean you can not playback from a DV drive to a DV device on the same
firewire channel with dependable results. While it may work for some .. sort
of.. it is not generally done. Nonsense? If you want to go ahead and bang
your hgead against the wall, be my guest. I'll let this thread die.

> Huh?? You mean one card to capture, and one card to export?? Thats
nonsense!

> "nappy" <no_spam_@sorry.com> wrote in message
> > That rarely work correctly. Use either a different firewire card or a
> local
> > hard drive. That's your problem.
> > "xxx" <notavailable@hidden.not> wrote in message
> > > yes....how else would it be?