Logon Interactively Error

I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
account is in the administrators group.

When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
logon interactively."

I have read the posts about the interactive login text in
the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
never enabled on my computer. I did however have a login
text displayed configured via the registry.

I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
this?

Thanks,

Matt
7 answers Last reply
More about logon interactively error

    check out page 34 of this newsgroup, scroll about mid-way
    and look under

    "Local Security policy prevents remote...."
    seems like others have had similar problems
    goodluck

    I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
    check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
    a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
    local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
    SERVICES.

    it just fixed my problem

    YOu also want to make sure that in the remote tab of
    system properties your user account is listed under
    accounts that say "allow remote access". I belive tis may
    make the appropriate group policy setting as well, but I
    would double check that.

    FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
    interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:37:10 -0700, "Jon"

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:qit2a0hqrrfvm5ejm8r9i3hb6flibljdb5@4ax.com...
    > FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
    > interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :)

    Thanks, I don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
    Which web interface? Noone is obligated to provide any answers
    in any newsgroup, but this group has some of the screwiest ones
    I have seen. Maybe it has to do with the error message:

    "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

    I try to avoid asking a question which has been answered before but
    about this "remote desktop" doggone logon failure, what would be the
    easiest way to tackle changing the account's properties? Local Security
    settings? Internet Services Manager?

    Thanks,
    gwhsu

    The thread I responded to had the solution to the problem (reposted:
    >I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
    >check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
    >a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
    >local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
    >SERVICES.

    BTW: This is in Group Policy (gpedit.msc from the command line) ->
    Computer Settings, etc (as detailed above).

    My comment related to the fact that the user refered to page 21 second
    post down. This is from the CDO interface available at
    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely&cat=en-us-win-winclient-networking&lang=en&cr=US.
    You and I are using Newsreaders (in my case, Forte Agent, in yours
    Outlook Express). Thus we see the newsgroup in a different manner.

    In order to better search newsgroups, consider using
    http://groups.google.com. This is the best search engine for usenet
    postings that go back many years...

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:20:21 GMT, "GWHSU" <coyote@nospam.net> wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in message news:qit2a0hqrrfvm5ejm8r9i3hb6flibljdb5@4ax.com...
    >> FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
    >> interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :)
    >
    >Thanks, I don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
    >Which web interface? Noone is obligated to provide any answers
    >in any newsgroup, but this group has some of the screwiest ones
    >I have seen. Maybe it has to do with the error message:
    >
    >"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"
    >
    >I try to avoid asking a question which has been answered before but
    >about this "remote desktop" doggone logon failure, what would be the
    >easiest way to tackle changing the account's properties? Local Security
    >settings? Internet Services Manager?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >gwhsu

    Yes, here I use O.E. in case somebody wants to post in other than plain
    text.
    Except for that, I would use Agent for everything.
    Another new NG searcher: http://www.usenet-replayer.com/

    Lots of info here. Group policy must be important in a group like this.
    I tried changing accounts on the target machine to
    "ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL SERVICES."
    without success, but I bet the answer is somewhere is these links.

    Meanwhile I picked up some virus/spywares in an email that's taking up my
    free
    time. I use Mailwasher but every once in a while a message will sneak in
    just between downloading subjects/deleting spam and loading Outlook Express
    for downloads. I got one with the subject "This is a real hit" which I
    beleive was
    the carrier of a trojan and assorted spyware packages including a Lycos.com
    search menu application and some XXX download/install packages. This one
    got
    past NAV and my firewall which was in partially disabled to experiment with
    remote connections.

    Thanks
    gwhsu

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:1r2tb0hs9qe06jch1t8voto4bihtuc2jr3@4ax.com...
    > The thread I responded to had the solution to the problem (reposted:
    > >I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
    > >check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
    > >a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
    > >local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
    > >SERVICES.
    >
    > BTW: This is in Group Policy (gpedit.msc from the command line) ->
    > Computer Settings, etc (as detailed above).
    >
    > My comment related to the fact that the user refered to page 21 second
    > post down. This is from the CDO interface available at

    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?
    dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely&cat=en-us-win-winclient-networki
    ng&lang=en&cr=US.
    > You and I are using Newsreaders (in my case, Forte Agent, in yours
    > Outlook Express). Thus we see the newsgroup in a different manner.
    >
    > In order to better search newsgroups, consider using
    > http://groups.google.com. This is the best search engine for usenet
    > postings that go back many years...
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

Windows XP