Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Logon Interactively Error

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 10, 2004 12:23:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
account is in the administrators group.

When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
logon interactively."

I have read the posts about the interactive login text in
the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
never enabled on my computer. I did however have a login
text displayed configured via the registry.

I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
this?

Thanks,

Matt
May 10, 2004 1:17:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

check out page 34 of this newsgroup, scroll about mid-way
and look under

"Local Security policy prevents remote...."
seems like others have had similar problems
goodluck

>-----Original Message-----
>I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
>account is in the administrators group.
>
>When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
>"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
>logon interactively."
>
>I have read the posts about the interactive login text
in
>the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
>never enabled on my computer. I did however have a
login
>text displayed configured via the registry.
>
>I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
>receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
>this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>.
>
May 10, 2004 1:37:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
SERVICES.

it just fixed my problem


>-----Original Message-----
>I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
>account is in the administrators group.
>
>When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
>"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
>logon interactively."
>
>I have read the posts about the interactive login text
in
>the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
>never enabled on my computer. I did however have a
login
>text displayed configured via the registry.
>
>I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
>receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
>this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 6:33:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

YOu also want to make sure that in the remote tab of
system properties your user account is listed under
accounts that say "allow remote access". I belive tis may
make the appropriate group policy setting as well, but I
would double check that.

>-----Original Message-----
>I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
>check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
>a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
>local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
>SERVICES.
>
>it just fixed my problem
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
>>account is in the administrators group.
>>
>>When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
>>"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
>>logon interactively."
>>
>>I have read the posts about the interactive login text
>in
>>the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
>>never enabled on my computer. I did however have a
>login
>>text displayed configured via the registry.
>>
>>I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
>>receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
>>this?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt
>>.
>>
>.
>
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :) 

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Mon, 10 May 2004 09:37:10 -0700, "Jon"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
>check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
>a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
>local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
>SERVICES.
>
>it just fixed my problem
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I have a Windows XP Pro machine with RDP allowed and my
>>account is in the administrators group.
>>
>>When I attempt to logon via RDP, I get the error message:
>>"The local policy of this system does not permit you to
>>logon interactively."
>>
>>I have read the posts about the interactive login text
>in
>>the local policies/security options in gpedit. This was
>>never enabled on my computer. I did however have a
>login
>>text displayed configured via the registry.
>>
>>I have deleted these keys, rebooted and still am
>>receiving this error. Does anyone have any insight into
>>this?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt
>>.
>>
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:20:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:qit2a0hqrrfvm5ejm8r9i3hb6flibljdb5@4ax.com...
> FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
> interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :) 

Thanks, I don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
Which web interface? Noone is obligated to provide any answers
in any newsgroup, but this group has some of the screwiest ones
I have seen. Maybe it has to do with the error message:

"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I try to avoid asking a question which has been answered before but
about this "remote desktop" doggone logon failure, what would be the
easiest way to tackle changing the account's properties? Local Security
settings? Internet Services Manager?

Thanks,
gwhsu
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:27:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

The thread I responded to had the solution to the problem (reposted:
>I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
>check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
>a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
>local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
>SERVICES.

BTW: This is in Group Policy (gpedit.msc from the command line) ->
Computer Settings, etc (as detailed above).

My comment related to the fact that the user refered to page 21 second
post down. This is from the CDO interface available at
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroup....
You and I are using Newsreaders (in my case, Forte Agent, in yours
Outlook Express). Thus we see the newsgroup in a different manner.

In order to better search newsgroups, consider using
http://groups.google.com. This is the best search engine for usenet
postings that go back many years...

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:20:21 GMT, "GWHSU" <coyote@nospam.net> wrote:

>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
>in message news:qit2a0hqrrfvm5ejm8r9i3hb6flibljdb5@4ax.com...
>> FYI: Many users of these discussion groups don't use the web
>> interface, therefore page #'s won't work... :) 
>
>Thanks, I don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
>Which web interface? Noone is obligated to provide any answers
>in any newsgroup, but this group has some of the screwiest ones
>I have seen. Maybe it has to do with the error message:
>
>"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"
>
>I try to avoid asking a question which has been answered before but
>about this "remote desktop" doggone logon failure, what would be the
>easiest way to tackle changing the account's properties? Local Security
>settings? Internet Services Manager?
>
>Thanks,
>gwhsu
>
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 2:27:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes, here I use O.E. in case somebody wants to post in other than plain
text.
Except for that, I would use Agent for everything.
Another new NG searcher: http://www.usenet-replayer.com/

Lots of info here. Group policy must be important in a group like this.
I tried changing accounts on the target machine to
"ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL SERVICES."
without success, but I bet the answer is somewhere is these links.

Meanwhile I picked up some virus/spywares in an email that's taking up my
free
time. I use Mailwasher but every once in a while a message will sneak in
just between downloading subjects/deleting spam and loading Outlook Express
for downloads. I got one with the subject "This is a real hit" which I
beleive was
the carrier of a trojan and assorted spyware packages including a Lycos.com
search menu application and some XXX download/install packages. This one
got
past NAV and my firewall which was in partially disabled to experiment with
remote connections.

Thanks
gwhsu

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:1r2tb0hs9qe06jch1t8voto4bihtuc2jr3@4ax.com...
> The thread I responded to had the solution to the problem (reposted:
> >I was just having a similar problem, and I found this..
> >check page 21, the second post down. You have to assign
> >a specific user or group in the Local Security settings,
> >local policies, user rights, ALLOW LOGON THROUGH TERMINAL
> >SERVICES.
>
> BTW: This is in Group Policy (gpedit.msc from the command line) ->
> Computer Settings, etc (as detailed above).
>
> My comment related to the fact that the user refered to page 21 second
> post down. This is from the CDO interface available at
>
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroup...
dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely&cat=en-us-win-winclient-networki
ng&lang=en&cr=US.
> You and I are using Newsreaders (in my case, Forte Agent, in yours
> Outlook Express). Thus we see the newsgroup in a different manner.
>
> In order to better search newsgroups, consider using
> http://groups.google.com. This is the best search engine for usenet
> postings that go back many years...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> be answered depending on time availability....
>
> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
!