problems with norton antivirus

My pc is a new HP P4 with 128MP onboard graphics but with all the video
settings for HL2 set at minimum, I still see problems especially when
playing on-line. Does anyone know if Norton antivirus software will slow the
game down? Would a nVidia 128mb card make a difference?

Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.
15 answers Last reply
More about problems norton antivirus

    Robert J Smith wrote:

    > Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.

    Obtain yourself a nice copy of XP pro with SP2 integrated, and reformat.
    Then get XPLite and strip that fooker bare.

    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

    Robert J Smith proclaimed...

    > My pc is a new HP P4 with 128MP onboard graphics but with all the video
    > settings for HL2 set at minimum, I still see problems especially when
    > playing on-line. Does anyone know if Norton antivirus software will slow the
    > game down? Would a nVidia 128mb card make a difference?
    >
    > Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.

    Anti Virus will slow your pc down but unless it's actually scanning
    whilst you play HL2 then it shouldn't slow your pc down by any
    considerable amount.

    It's more likely one or more sections of your pc are causing a
    bottleneck slowing down your pc.

    --
    www.stri.tk

    On 9/4/2005 10:23 PM Robert J Smith brightened our day with:

    >My pc is a new HP P4 with 128MP onboard graphics but with all the video
    >settings for HL2 set at minimum, I still see problems especially when
    >playing on-line. Does anyone know if Norton antivirus software will slow the
    >game down? Would a nVidia 128mb card make a difference?
    >
    >Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.

    Go grab a GeForce 6600GT.

    --
    Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
    Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    Robert J Smith wrote:
    > My pc is a new HP P4 with 128MP onboard graphics but with all the video
    > settings for HL2 set at minimum, I still see problems especially when
    > playing on-line. Does anyone know if Norton antivirus software will slow the
    > game down? Would a nVidia 128mb card make a difference?
    >
    > Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.

    What problems do you experience? I'm guessing visual problems? if so,
    it is unlikely that a virus is causing this.

    With that said, it is always wise to keep an updated virus checker
    running in the background (along with a firewall if you do not have one
    already). and unless you have already paid for Norton, i'd suggest
    using Grisoft's free AV utility http://www.grisoft.com/

    as Gfree mentioned - chances are the problem you have is your onboard
    graphics, it would be far better to invest in a proper AGP or PCI-X card
    (Important - first check that your motherboard does actually have an AGP
    or PCI-X Slot!)

    several ideas you could try in the meantime though -
    download the latest drivers for your graphics set & latest version of
    DirectX (if you haven't already got it)
    download and run anti-spyware checker
    download all available windows critical updates

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    LymanAlpha wrote:

    > Go grab a GeForce 6600GT.

    I will second that notion. mine kicks ass.... :)

    sittingduck wrote:
    > Robert J Smith wrote:
    >

    >>Damn these new pc's, they load so much junk on it to start.
    >

    > Obtain yourself a nice copy of XP pro with SP2 integrated, and reformat.
    > Then get XPLite and strip that fooker bare.
    >
    > http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

    Or just get a REAL card instead of a damned onboard one!

    Norton Anti-virus slows all games down in my experience. I got rid of it and
    noticed an improvement. Try a free anti-virus like AVG.
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    Quietman wrote:

    > Norton Anti-virus slows all games down in my experience. I got rid of it
    > and noticed an improvement. Try a free anti-virus like AVG.
    > http://free.grisoft.com/

    Try not letting dipshits use your computer, and you won't need AV at all!

    sittingduck wrote:
    > Quietman wrote:
    >

    >>Norton Anti-virus slows all games down in my experience. I got rid of it
    >>and noticed an improvement. Try a free anti-virus like AVG.
    >>http://free.grisoft.com/
    >

    > Try not letting dipshits use your computer, and you won't need AV at all!

    Not all viruses are transmitted through email and download trojans. no
    matter how much of a security-concious PC user you think you are, you'd
    be naive to not run any AV protection.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Ben Cottrell wrote:

    > Not all viruses are transmitted through email and download trojans.

    Nope, but 99% of them are. The rest get stopped at my router/firewall.

    > no matter how much of a security-concious PC user you think you are, you'd
    > be naive to not run any AV protection.

    No, not naive. I've been running my computer AV free for years. WITH NO
    PROBLEMS. I have simply learned how to avoid the most common ways to get
    infected. The chance is still there I know, but it is so slim, it's not worth
    bothering with AV.

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >
    >> Not all viruses are transmitted through email and download trojans.
    >
    > Nope, but 99% of them are. The rest get stopped at my router/firewall.
    >
    >> no matter how much of a security-concious PC user you think you are,
    >> you'd
    >> be naive to not run any AV protection.
    >
    > No, not naive. I've been running my computer AV free for years. WITH NO
    > PROBLEMS. I have simply learned how to avoid the most common ways to get
    > infected. The chance is still there I know, but it is so slim, it's not
    > worth
    > bothering with AV.

    Used to be AV free for a couple years and never had problems until loading
    norton on several computers. IMHO, norton causes too many problems with all
    software. I have my own router with firewall so I should be protected
    mostly.

    > "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    >> Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not all viruses are transmitted through email and download trojans.
    >>
    >> Nope, but 99% of them are. The rest get stopped at my router/firewall.
    >>
    >>> no matter how much of a security-concious PC user you think you are,
    >>> you'd
    >>> be naive to not run any AV protection.
    >>
    >> No, not naive. I've been running my computer AV free for years. WITH NO
    >> PROBLEMS. I have simply learned how to avoid the most common ways to get
    >> infected. The chance is still there I know, but it is so slim, it's not
    >> worth
    >> bothering with AV.
    >
    > Used to be AV free for a couple years and never had problems until loading
    > norton on several computers. IMHO, norton causes too many problems with
    > all software. I have my own router with firewall so I should be protected
    > mostly.

    Using McAfee here - mainly because of compatibility - usd it for several
    years and it has never caused a single problem (even with XP SP2 when that
    first came out). Use a router with firewall here too.

    > "Robert J Smith" <ray@ray.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

    >>> Nope, but 99% of them are. The rest get stopped at my router/firewall.

    >>> No, not naive. I've been running my computer AV free for years. WITH NO
    >>> PROBLEMS. I have simply learned how to avoid the most common ways to get
    >>> infected. The chance is still there I know, but it is so slim, it's not
    >>> worth
    >>> bothering with AV.
    >>
    >> Used to be AV free for a couple years and never had problems until
    >> problems with all software. I have my own router with firewall so I
    >> should be protected mostly.
    >
    > Using McAfee here - mainly because of compatibility - usd it for several
    > years and it has never caused a single problem (even with XP SP2 when that
    > first came out). Use a router with firewall here too.

    I used Norton for years, but just recently switched to McAfee because my ISP
    began providing it for free. Casual observation indicates faster time to
    desktop, faster scan times, and a 'snappier' feel to the system, as if less
    overhead is required for McAfee. I don't recall any real issues with
    Norton, but my system seems to run better since I dumped it. Also, during a
    system scan, I can actually do something else instead of the AV hogging all
    the processor time.

    KCB wrote:

    > I used Norton for years, but just recently switched to McAfee because my
    > ISP began providing it for free. Casual observation indicates faster
    > time to desktop, faster scan times, and a 'snappier' feel to the system,
    > as if less overhead is required for McAfee. I don't recall any real
    > issues with Norton, but my system seems to run better since I dumped it.
    > Also, during a system scan, I can actually do something else instead of
    > the AV hogging all the processor time.

    How many viruses have you ever found, that were'nt emails in your inbox?

    > KCB wrote:
    >
    >> I used Norton for years, but just recently switched to McAfee because my
    >> ISP began providing it for free. Casual observation indicates faster
    >> time to desktop, faster scan times, and a 'snappier' feel to the system,
    >> as if less overhead is required for McAfee. I don't recall any real
    >> issues with Norton, but my system seems to run better since I dumped it.
    >> Also, during a system scan, I can actually do something else instead of
    >> the AV hogging all the processor time.
    >
    > How many viruses have you ever found, that were'nt emails in your inbox?

    I have never found a virus that wasn't e-mailed to me on my own machine. I
    have found viruses on my kids' machines, but the origin is usually not
    apparent after the fact. My theory is file-swapping and email for their
    viruses. I don't use any P2P file swapping programs.

Norton Antivirus Video Games