  • Remote Desktop
  • Monitors
  • Windows XP
May 10, 2004 12:46:14 PM

Does anyone know how to configure the XP Remote Desktop
Client to display its window on a secondary video
controller?

Thanks,

Kelly

More about : remote desktop monitor

May 10, 2004 1:03:55 PM

here's a thought. Instead of setting the client to open
in full screen, set it to open in the same resolution as
your second monitor, then just drag the session to the
second screen.

Haven't tested this, but this should work.

Matt

May 10, 2004 4:13:37 PM

Unfortunately, the window size is actually larger than the
chosen size (to account for the window's title bar),
and "windows" keystrokes are sent to the primary machine,
instead of the remote desktop (but this might be desirable
in this sort of configuration).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kelly

a b C Monitor
October 20, 2004 4:15:48 AM

--
spijke
a b C Monitor

spijke wrote:
> * *
to make an RDP session appear on a second monitor in full screen.
1. Edit an RDP session and define your connection settings
2. Connect to your RDP session via a non-fullscreen window.
3. Drag the window to your second monitor
4. Make the window fullscreen & then close it
5. Click on 'Save as' to save the RDP file

When you open the RDP file, it will now pop-up on the second monitor in
full-screen.

--
spijke
October 20, 2004 11:49:04 PM

Does anyone know how to get a dual screen system displaying its dual screens
to another remote dual screen system via Remote Desktop. At the moment I can
only get one screen to display - and in Control Panel on the remote system
the Display > Settings does not display the fact that it has dual screens
functioning (just some low grade 16bit default thing that I can't change at
all - the Advanced tab is greyed out). Yet when viewed on that machine
locally, the display settings are correct, showing dual screens, and full
functionality.

"spijke" wrote:

> spijke wrote:
> > * *
> to make an RDP session appear on a second monitor in full screen.
> 1. Edit an RDP session and define your connection settings
> 2. Connect to your RDP session via a non-fullscreen window.
> 3. Drag the window to your second monitor
> 4. Make the window fullscreen & then close it
> 5. Click on 'Save as' to save the RDP file
>
> When you open the RDP file, it will now pop-up on the second monitor in
> full-screen.
>

> --
> spijke

a b C Monitor
October 21, 2004 4:42:24 AM

Rramjet wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get a dual screen system displaying its dual
> screens to another remote dual screen system via Remote Desktop. At
> the moment I can only get one screen to display - and in Control
> Panel on the remote system the Display > Settings does not display
> the fact that it has dual screens functioning (just some low grade
> 16bit default thing that I can't change at all - the Advanced tab is
> greyed out). Yet when viewed on that machine locally, the display
> settings are correct, showing dual screens, and full functionality.

Remote Desktop does not support Dual Monitors.

--
<- Shenan ->
October 21, 2004 10:01:01 AM

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Rramjet wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get a dual screen system displaying its dual
> > screens to another remote dual screen system via Remote Desktop. At
> > the moment I can only get one screen to display - and in Control
> > Panel on the remote system the Display > Settings does not display
> > the fact that it has dual screens functioning (just some low grade
> > 16bit default thing that I can't change at all - the Advanced tab is
> > greyed out). Yet when viewed on that machine locally, the display
> > settings are correct, showing dual screens, and full functionality.
>

> Remote Desktop does not support Dual Monitors.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
>

> Yes, but there is a third party software solution I have found

http://www.maxivista.com/faq.htm#dual
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2004 2:00:43 PM

Rramjet wrote:
> Yes, but there is a third party software solution I have found
>
> http://www.maxivista.com/faq.htm#dual

You could use UltraVNC (free) unless this software (your link) gives Remote
Desktop the ability to handle dual monitors..

--
<- Shenan ->
September 8, 2009 10:09:19 PM

simply create a new .bat file. In the bat file put the following:

mstsc /span

Save the bat file name it anything u want. double click the bat file anytime u want to open the remote desktop over dual monitors.

To create a .bat file: Open a notepad, enter the text mstsc /span click file> Save As... type in the name you want followed by .bat in the File name box. In the Save as type: box select All Files. Click save. You now have ur bat file.
May 5, 2011 8:36:34 AM

You will need to edit the rdp file in notepad. I've made a simple excel spreedsheet to calculate the values to be changed.

(Download)

John Dsane Andersen

kelly said:

Does anyone know how to configure the XP Remote Desktop
Client to display its window on a secondary video
controller?

Thanks,

Kelly

September 10, 2011 3:14:11 AM

kelly said:

Does anyone know how to configure the XP Remote Desktop
Client to display its window on a secondary video
controller?

Thanks,

Kelly

The way I put remote desktop client is to set the target monitor (i.e. your secondary video) as the primary monitor in Windows / Display Properties / Settings, then launch your remote client session. The remote client session goes where the primary monitor is.

Anthony
CA
September 22, 2011 1:41:29 PM

tonyccn said:
The way I put remote desktop client is to set the target monitor (i.e. your secondary video) as the primary monitor in Windows / Display Properties / Settings, then launch your remote client session. The remote client session goes where the primary monitor is.

Anthony
CA

I am trying to figure out if you mena using a single monitor PC or laptop to contorl a PC using a dual monitor using RDP. Is that what you are asking?
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2011 6:06:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!