Closed

Want Remote Desktop on Second Monitor

Does anyone know how to configure the XP Remote Desktop
Client to display its window on a secondary video
controller?

Thanks,

Kelly
13 answers Last reply
More about want remote desktop monitor

    here's a thought. Instead of setting the client to open
    in full screen, set it to open in the same resolution as
    your second monitor, then just drag the session to the
    second screen.

    Haven't tested this, but this should work.

    Matt

    Unfortunately, the window size is actually larger than the
    chosen size (to account for the window's title bar),
    and "windows" keystrokes are sent to the primary machine,
    instead of the remote desktop (but this might be desirable
    in this sort of configuration).

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Kelly

    --
    spijke

    spijke wrote:
    > * *
    to make an RDP session appear on a second monitor in full screen.
    1. Edit an RDP session and define your connection settings
    2. Connect to your RDP session via a non-fullscreen window.
    3. Drag the window to your second monitor
    4. Make the window fullscreen & then close it
    5. Click on 'Save as' to save the RDP file

    When you open the RDP file, it will now pop-up on the second monitor in
    full-screen.

    --
    spijke

    Does anyone know how to get a dual screen system displaying its dual screens
    to another remote dual screen system via Remote Desktop. At the moment I can
    only get one screen to display - and in Control Panel on the remote system
    the Display > Settings does not display the fact that it has dual screens
    functioning (just some low grade 16bit default thing that I can't change at
    all - the Advanced tab is greyed out). Yet when viewed on that machine
    locally, the display settings are correct, showing dual screens, and full
    functionality.

    Rramjet wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to get a dual screen system displaying its dual
    > screens to another remote dual screen system via Remote Desktop. At
    > the moment I can only get one screen to display - and in Control
    > Panel on the remote system the Display > Settings does not display
    > the fact that it has dual screens functioning (just some low grade
    > 16bit default thing that I can't change at all - the Advanced tab is
    > greyed out). Yet when viewed on that machine locally, the display
    > settings are correct, showing dual screens, and full functionality.

    Remote Desktop does not support Dual Monitors.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    http://www.maxivista.com/faq.htm#dual

    Rramjet wrote:
    > Yes, but there is a third party software solution I have found
    >
    > http://www.maxivista.com/faq.htm#dual

    You could use UltraVNC (free) unless this software (your link) gives Remote
    Desktop the ability to handle dual monitors..

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  9. simply create a new .bat file. In the bat file put the following:

    mstsc /span

    Save the bat file name it anything u want. double click the bat file anytime u want to open the remote desktop over dual monitors.

    To create a .bat file: Open a notepad, enter the text mstsc /span click file> Save As... type in the name you want followed by .bat in the File name box. In the Save as type: box select All Files. Click save. You now have ur bat file.
  10. You will need to edit the rdp file in notepad. I've made a simple excel spreedsheet to calculate the values to be changed.

    (Download)

    John Dsane Andersen

  11. kelly said:

    Does anyone know how to configure the XP Remote Desktop
    Client to display its window on a secondary video
    controller?

    Thanks,

    Kelly

    The way I put remote desktop client is to set the target monitor (i.e. your secondary video) as the primary monitor in Windows / Display Properties / Settings, then launch your remote client session. The remote client session goes where the primary monitor is.

    Anthony
    CA
  12. tonyccn said:
    The way I put remote desktop client is to set the target monitor (i.e. your secondary video) as the primary monitor in Windows / Display Properties / Settings, then launch your remote client session. The remote client session goes where the primary monitor is.

    Anthony
    CA

    I am trying to figure out if you mena using a single monitor PC or laptop to contorl a PC using a dual monitor using RDP. Is that what you are asking?

Remote Desktop Monitors Windows XP